PDA

View Full Version : Sandy's Fusion Aug 13

johnsonbunch
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
9 days til the big day and counting. Got a 2nd opinion from Geoff Cronen in Tampa, FL not aware that he works a lot with my 1st choice surgeon, Anthony Moreno. They did Tatiana together, a young Ukranian girl with a 120 degree curve no one the world over would touch. Things for me look good, I'll be having 2 pairs of skilled hands for the surgery with both docs working together. Cronen trained with Lenke in St. Louis, a renowned surgeon often mentioned on these blogs, and Moreno has the Moreno Spine & Scoliosis Center, a specialized practice.

Bending xrays show I'm very flexible and they think they can do T9 to the pelvis instead of the original T2 estimate. They expect a correction of 68 degrees to 20ish degrees, and the thoracic curve should balance without being included in the fusion. Hopefully that will give me a bit more flexibility. They've opted for Titanium instead of stainless for whatever reason. The fusion will include bone grafts from myself and some (artifical) bone morphogenic protein. I might not even have to be braced after, and they will send me home with a bone stimulator to help with healing.

Got my IVC filter yesterday to prevent clots from the long surgery. Completed all the cardiac and pre-op testing today. Now just waiting for the big day. Starting to freak a bit. Your prayers and best wishes are beyond appreciated! I'll post my progress when I can. --Sandy

LindaRacine
08-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Best of luck Sandy.

JenniferG
08-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Sounds like you'll be in good hands Sandy.

My thoracic curve was reduced from 68 to 22 and I'm very happy. I look straight. You'll be happy with that, I'm sure. It took away my rib hump without removing ribs.

Good luck, we'll be thinking of you. There are a few surgeries in August. Wishing all a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

jrnyc
08-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Hi Sandy
you are in my thoughts & prayers....with those skilled doctors, you will do well...

take care....know that many are thinking of you...
jess

valleygirl
08-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Just want to chime in my best wishes for you. It does sound like you'll be in good hands.

Please keep us posted as you can afterwards but most importantly I'm wishing you an easy, healthy, and quick recovery!

Vali
08-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Sandy, Best wishes of a great correction and a speedy, uncomplicated recovery.;)

mgs
08-05-2009, 07:30 AM
9 days!! Down to the single-digit in the countdown!!!

Best wishes and a cyber hug!

I hope to see quite a bit of you in these next "pre" days - this place does help with the anxiety, doesn't it?!?!?!! As jumpy as I can be during this waiting period, the info and the cameraderie of this board in just invaluable.

And, hopefully, you'll be feeling up to posting not-too-long afterwards, so we can hear all about everything.

Good luck to all of us Girls of August!

lapieper
08-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Sandy,
Just take it easy, take one day at a time, and remember, we are all thinking of you. Best wishes!
Lesley

johnsonbunch
08-05-2009, 09:08 AM
8 days and counting...

Thanks for the well wishes. One more doctor appt and then the big day. So much to finish up!

twistedmama81
08-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I wish you the best of luck! I remember being where you are now...millions of emotions! :) Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Jimbo
08-05-2009, 11:18 PM
God Bless and Good Luck :)

kt2009
08-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Sandy,

You're sounding great! I will be thinking of you. I've seen about three doctors in the past week getting ready for my surgery. It's a lot to take in! thanks for keeping the August group in the loop. It's so helpful knowing that we're all getting ready at the same time!

johnsonbunch
08-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Less than 3 days to go!

Trying to get everything ready. Hubby and I painted the entire outside of the house this weekend. I am so sore! Paying bills. Training my sub at work. Starting to freak out, but I know it will all be ok.

twistedmama81
08-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Awww Sandy, I totally feel you, but you are gonna do GREAT!! You have all of us and your family rooting for you!! :D

dolores a
08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Sandy, best wishes for a peaceful 9 days in getting done what has to be done before surgery, don't worry so much, from my experience it seems to fall into place if you can delegate some of the stuff out to family and friends! It's funny how the scoliosis community is so small -- when I went for my 2nd opinion from a Dr. Neuwirth (some of the members here have used him) I found out that the surgeon I chose actually studied under him.

mgs
08-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I'll be thinking of you all day Thurs!!. . .and looking forward to your first post-op post!!

I'm sure I'll be a bundle of nerves when I get this close. . .hope you're hanging tight! love -

Mary Ann

Bionic Woman
08-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I'll be praying for you. I'm sure you'll do just great:D
Debbie

JenniferG
08-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Just wanted to wish you well for tomorrow (Australian time.) Soon you'll be on the other side, and then you'll know it's just a matter of time and patience and you'll be fine. I'll be thinking of you.

titaniumed
08-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Sandy

Best wishes. Keep us posted

Ed

Susie*Bee
08-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Yes, Sandy-- keep us posted. You're in my thoughts and prayers... looking forward to hearing from you when you're able. Hugs, Susie

Doodles
08-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Sandy--Positive thoughts and very best wishes on a successful surgery and recovery. We'll be anxious to hear from you when you are able. Janet

valleygirl
08-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Sandy,

Now that you are less than 24 hours away, I just want to wish you all the best for a routine (if there is such a thing) surgery and a quick, healthy and easy recovery.

I'll be awaiting all the good news as soon as you are able to post.

Take care of yourself!

Hugs,

asccbodypro
08-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Sandy,

Missed you before you went but hoping that you are doing well. Sounds like you have great surgeons there. I am sure things went great.

lumbar3491
08-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Sandy

Ooops! I've been offline for awhile so I missed your date. My thoughts and warmest wishes are with you. I'll look forward to hearing how it went when you get back online.

Cheers!

Karen

johnsonbunch
08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I had back surgery Aug 13 from 7:30 to 4pm and didn't wake up until 7am the next day. I was choking/gagging on the breathing tube down my throat. I was uncontrollably chewing on my tongue. I have a big chunk missing from my tongue and its 3 times normal size. Of course my first meal was tomato soup and lemon jello. ow! Still no apetite but eating anyway to avoid nausea. Taking peri-colace 1/2 stool softener 1/2 laxative. Crampy, but that's combo of surgery, bowels and drasted menstrual cycle thay started 5 days early!

I had some mophine substitute in iv that made me vomit, switched to dilaudid on a push button but i didn't get any relief from the pain until they switched me to percoset pills. (generic is oxyconton) At one point my tongue was hurting more than my back so I guess thats good! :p I still feel like I've been ran over by a truck, but it's no worse than right after my c-section. And you don't remember that much after healing and having a new baby. I hope this is worth it too.

I have a walker,a toilet seat and a bed bar that fits between mattress/box spring that helps immensely. I can lay comfortably flat on my back with my knees bent. All my swelling has gone down except for my back and stomach, I feel like I'm prego. :o The scar is 14" long with 2 titanium bars and a couple dozen screws.

I have a home health nurse coming everyday to change my dressing and take my vitals. I washed my hair today and I feel a million times better. There was dried blood in my hair from where the neurologist stuck needles in my head. I measured myself, I went from 5'4 1/4 to 5'6. The tallest I've ever been in my life.

As time goes by I know it will get better. I'm taking it easy, will keep you posted.

mgs
08-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Hey, Sandy!

Gentle hugs coming your way. . . you have been in my thoughts and prayers these last days. I bet the shower felt GREAT! :) I look forward to your further posts, and will keep you in my prayers until they put me under general anesthesia on Tues.

Time passes, and (like they say) heals all. . .I'm holding on to this thought. . .

You can weather it, and so can I. . .as so many of "us" have. . .

God Bless - and love!!

Mary Ann

(another of the "girls of August" group)

kt2009
08-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Sandy,

Thanks for the post-op post. Though not totally pleasant, it sounded realistic and I think I could handle most of that if you did! Exactly a week away for me and one day after Mary Ann. I'm keeping you in my prayers.

titaniumed
08-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Sandy

Your tongue must hurt! Boy did I hate that NG tube! I was a hose puller, so they tied me down. I'm glad that's over.

I also woke up with a white beard. I felt like Kenny Rogers on drugs. LOL

Hang in there, this is the hardest part.

Ed

valleygirl
08-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Congratulations Sandy,

It's great to hear (read) from you! You've been in my thoughts and prayers.

Sounds like you are coming along really well for only 6 days out! Very impressive.

Congratulations on the height gain too. Wow!

Keep focusing on healing and getting stronger! Wishing you a very good recovery!

Take care of yourself!

dolores a
08-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi Sandy, considering all, you sound like your dealing with your fresh surgery very well. Hope that tongue feels better soon so you can eat well! Stay strong.

JenniferG
08-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I felt like Kenny Rogers on drugs. LOL Haha!

Phew Sandy, that brought back some memories. You sound great! Keep up the good work.

Yes, August girls, you CAN do it and you will be so pleased you did.

Bionic Woman
08-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Best wishes and prayers for you:D It's a long recovery, but I can definitely say that I'm glad I did it and I believe it was worth it!!
Debbie

Doodles
08-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Sandy--You are amazing to be able to post so soon. I don't think I could even read anything for at least a month! I hope your recovery continues to go well. Good luck also to all of the August folks! Janet

Susie*Bee
08-20-2009, 05:31 AM
Sandy-- it's super to hear from you! You are doing amazingly well to be posting already! Remember to listen to your body and not overdo... but also to walk. Welcome to the other side!

debbei
08-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Take it easy Sandy. Things will get better and better slowly. I remember that first wonderful shower! There was nothing better in the world at that point!

Take care,

jrnyc
08-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Hi Sandy
OUCH! your poor tongue! and you poor thing...
but you are strong & will recover slowly but surely...& we all know "slow & steady wins the race"...

thoughts & prayers go out for your healing & return to full function & a pain free life..

best of luck
jess

johnsonbunch
08-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Well, my tongue's getting back to normal and my appetite is getting better, too. I get up every hour or 2 to use the bathroom and try to do a few laps around the dining room table in my stylish wheeled walker. Went out to the mailbox yesterday but a big mistake. Must have been 95 degrees and 100 percent humidity. I thought I was going to pass out. Just too hot in Florida to walk outside. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll look and feel good enough to go to the mall if my teen girls "approve."

Feel a lot better today. Still incredibly swollen across my back and belly. Didn't feel dizzy at all this morning in the shower. Tomorrow the bandages come off and they want me to let the air to the incision unless I want to dress and pad it when using the brace. I'm stitched on the inside, and have back-to-back steri-strips along the entire length of the incision. I'm supposed to leave them to fall off on their own. Sitting is more comfortable today. Not on the couch or bed, but sitting overly upright on a hard wooden chair with a pillow behind my back. But still, a few minutes is max. And there's my "twinge" to get up and move again. Post again soon.

lapieper
08-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Way to go, Sandy! Just take it easy and one day at a time.
Lesley

mgs
08-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm praying for you. . .and cheering for you!! I hope that I hang in there as well as you are when I'm 8 days post-op. You rock!!

johnsonbunch
08-23-2009, 01:59 PM
10 days post-op. Feeling as good as expected. Felt great yesterday. Was getting stir crazy, so got in mom's Caddy and we ran a few errands, by the bank, into the pharmacy to get a gel ice pack, and into a convenience store for some drinks. Gone about an hour, did quite a bit of walking, but felt really good! I was exhausted of course when we got home and laid in bed the rest of the afternoon. I've discovered my new favorite position, flat on my stomach with a gel ice pack on my back. I can stay that way about 1/2 hour, then my neck gets stiff and I roll back onto my back. I can roll pretty much by myself now. The bed bar really helps with rolling and getting up.

I've learned to keep up the pain meds, and set my alarm every 4 hours. If the pain gets really bad, it takes quite some time to relax again. And I always take a bite or 2 before to avoid heartburn. I also have an insulated cup with a bendy straw bedside. I've always drank a lot of water, but I'm constantly thirsty now, maybe from the meds. Lots of water helps with the bowels (the peri-colace and prunes is a good combo), and forces me to get up every couple of hours for the walk to the bathroom.

I don't have the weight-bearing pain down my left leg like I had pre-surgery, but I do have some new ones, mostly feels like muscles that were short and now stretched to places they've never been. Standing is painful. I walk in small circles to avoid it. Sitting is getting easier, and is more comfortable in the brace on a wooden chair. Forget the couch.

My girls have been fabulous helps. Too bad they start school tomorrow! I'll be alone from 7:50 to 2:50 (different school times overlap so its not too long). And I have some friends and family visit here and there. I like the alone time and need my afternoon naps.

Mgs, Karen and Kathy: You're in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this week. If your expectations are realistic, you'll be back before you know it. I keep repeating what I said after my c-section... Once the pain is past, I'll forget it when I look at that "pretty little baby's face," and replace with my "newfound waist." LOL

kt2009
08-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Sandy,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the postings and the little tips (straw, water, etc.). I'm in the midst of stocking up on food, creating a schedule for my parents and husband and buying last minute school supplies.

And you're right...though many of us don't get complete correction, a little cosmetic bonus (and lack of pain) is the one thing that keeps me going!

Rest easy...

lumbar3491
08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi Sandy

I am so enjoying reading your positive post-op messages. There is real comfort in being one of the "August Girls" and for having all the wonderful wishes from everyone on this forum.

I spent the last weeks getting ready for the "big day" tomorrow so I'm trying to relax today, but the butterflies are fluttering in my stomach. Guess I'd worry if they didn't.

Again, all the very best to you on your continued recovery. Mary Ann and Kathy, the next three days are going to be big ones for all three of us. I know we will all do beautifully and be back here soon to chat about it. For my part, Sunny Day (sp.) on this forum will be reporting on my progress before I'm able to. In fact, she had very successful a/p surgery with my surgeon back in October and was the person who told me about this wonderful forum.

All the best!

Karen

mgs
08-23-2009, 03:45 PM
You're doing great!! I'm sure the outing was a welcome event!

A year from now, we all can cyber visit, and comfort those who will then be where we are now with "We made it through the rain, and so can you". . just like so many here do for us, now.

I'm trying to stay calm. . .when I find myself thinking about Tues, and feel my adrenaline kicking in, I make my thoughts go blank.

I had a great "last party to attend for a while" last night - this guy ( a real foodie) and his wife give a wonderful, FUN party every Aug. This year's theme was "grown or bred local". . .the food was AMAZING!! (he cooked for 3 days straight!) Some of the vendors from our farmer's market, who were among those whose stuff he used, were also guests. Local wines, local beers. It was unseasonably chilly, so he had fires going to keep us warm, since most of us remained outdoors for the evening. I could not have asked for a better way to spend my weekend-before-surgery.

valleygirl
08-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Wow Sandy,

Sounds like you are doing fantastically! 10 days post-op and you have already had an outing out of the house. Very impressive. You go Girl! :)

It's wonderful to read how well things are progressing for you! Keep up the good work, but don't overdo it. You are inspirational.

Wishing you all the best!

johnsonbunch
08-24-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm doing great. Thanks for everyone's support.

When I left the hospital Mon eve, I was given an RX for Percoset 5-325 which is 5 mg Oxycodone (not Oxycontin like I thought) with 325 mg Acetominophen/Tylenol. Had trouble filling it because it's a controlled narcotic and Walgreens wouldn't fill out of county. Florida has tight laws about controlled substances. At the 3rd pharmacy, angry hubby was able to get someone to fill it. To even suggest he drive 1 1/2 hrs back to Tampa at 8 pm nearly sent him over the edge!

Then I called the doc last week to let him know I'd be out of meds today since I'm taking 12 a day. They were supposed to mail me an RX (has to be written) but did not show up in today's mail and I took the last pills at noon. My primary local doc is out on Mondays and I started to panic. Was finally able to get the surgeon's office to call in a less potent pain med that is able to be filled over the phone, Norco 10-325, which is 10 mg Hydrocodone and 325 mg Acetominophen/Tylenol. Makes me more tired I think, or maybe it's the 1/2 hr I had to sit in the pharmacy when I got there and they hadn't filled it. The pharmacy said they never got the call, so the surgeon's office had to make a 2nd call at 4pm. Add to the panic, especially since the noon meds had worn off and I couldn't imagine how I'd make it overnight. If the Noroc keeps the pain off, I'll stick with it since it will be easier to fill if I don't need the RX in writing. Plus, the pain is getting better, not worse. I think I'll be ready to go out to dinner or lunch later this week.

loris
08-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Wow Sandy I can not believe how well you are doing so soon. This is the recovery that I am hoping for. Thanks for all the good tips. Keep up the great progress.
Lori

mgs
08-24-2009, 08:41 PM
You give me hope, and inspiration! Best wishes for a continued good recovery.

Mary Ann

johnsonbunch
08-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Took a shower by myself and went on another outing today, two banks and then out for a seafood crepe and french onion soup with my friend and chauffeur. Sat in a chair and brought my own pillow. Wore a tank, then the brace, and mom's sundress on top. I looked huge but didn't care. The brace showed around the top of the dress so it was obvious. I left the walker at home. Feeling normal again! Got another friend coming to visit tomorrow and may go out to lunch again!

The Norcos seem to make me a bit sleepier than the Percosets, but they work equally well. I find 1 1/2 pills is the magic number and plan to wean off in a couple weeks by going down to 1 pill, then extending hours between. Hopefully I'll be back to work part time in a couple weeks.

Today's your day Mary Ann mgs! Hope it went well and that you have sucess in recovery. Looking forward to your post-op posts.

52skeedoo
08-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi Sandy,

First of all, it sounds like you are doing GREAT ! I'm a few weeks ahead of you since my surgery was June 30.

I can relate to your story of how hard it is to get the oxycontin prescription filled. I was surprised you were taking so many of them (12) a day because they are a long-acting drug. I know when I came home I was taking one 20 mg every 12 hours. Then, I was even more surprised when I read you simply stopped taking them without tapering. Usually people have serious side effects when they do that. Maybe you were able to stop without serious side effects because you weren't on it very long.

I was also given Norco to use for "break-through" pain. Were you warned not to take too many Norcos? I think the max is 8 per day or it can do liver damage. I used to take them on schedule, just like you mentioned, but now I only take them on an as-needed basis.

Keep up the great job recovering.

Sheri

johnsonbunch
08-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Firstly, I was taking 5 mg Oxycodone, not Oxycontin. I was confused too. Oxycodone is a quick acting med which is why I needed them every 4 hours. The Norco is Hydrocodone, similar but less potent than Oxycodone even though it's a 10 mg pill. That's all I'm taking. I'm not on a long-lasting med like some of you guys. Doctor preference, or maybe my intolerance for Morphine and some opiates. And the liver damage warning is from the 325 mgs of Tylenol they pair with both the Oxycodone and Hydrocodone.

jrnyc
08-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Sandy
CONGRATULATIONS...you sound like you are doing well...it is all healing now,your waiting & worrying are over! the thougths & prayers continue to you for healing & relief!

i have alot of oxycontin...dont really like the stuff..sometimes it makes my breath short, other times it knocks me out...have no trouble getting it in NYC & in CT....lately prefer hydrocodone 10 mg...they tried me on morphine, but i threw up! all this & no surgery yet, cause i keep changing my mind..but all the surgeons say the same thing...T11-S1, L4-sacrum, bilateral fixation, etc!

all august patients should be so proud of themselves...
just concentrate on getting better...i think of all of you & admire your courage...i pray for all to have relief of pain!

i know i am putting off the inevitable...

best to you, sandy
jess

naptown78
08-25-2009, 07:49 PM
I am in awe. Sandy, I am so jealous of your gain in height to 5'6 ! My dream height! You sound like you are doing so well, unbelieveable. It is so good to read such positive messages such as yours. I know you will have great progress as you seem to have a positive attitude. It will be wonderful if you can go back to work so soon; MYSELF I could not manage to go back for 5 months. I am looking at a possible revision in the near future so I enjoy reading about stories such as yours! Good Luck to the other August surgery Girls! This will be a tough week.........

johnsonbunch
08-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Just passed the 2 week mark. Feeling great, albeit a little sleepy from the pain meds. Got a written Percocet/Oxycodone RX again so I've put the Norco/Hydocodone to the side. I'm starting to stretch a little longer between doses. Hope to wean off asap. I don't like the dopey feeling.

I'm doing more around the house. It started with just wiping the counters and whatever was at waist height, but yesterday I managed to put in a load of laundry. I kicked the basket all the way to the laundry room. No bending or lifting! And if I squat or spread my stance really wide, I can get down quite low relatively easily. I also have very agile "Flintstone feet" and can grab and pick up most anything with my toes. I had to wait for a kid to unload and carry the laundry basket back, but at least I felt like I accomplished something. Today I swept, and cleaned the bathroom best I could. I'm also a lot more comfortable now on the couch and can sit longer in front of the computer. That's important if I want to get back to work soon.

Last night I slept part of the night on my side, supported by my husband and a few pillows. Felt good to snuggle. My butt starts to fall asleep from lying on my back so much. Still have a lot on numbness under my breasts, all across my back and my entire butt and hips. I also can feel the foreignness of the rods. Not painful, just a weird sensation. I look forward to my first follow up appt Sept 8 and being cleared to drive and other things, just not vacuuming.

johnsonbunch
09-01-2009, 12:34 PM
19 days post-op. Starting to feel like I'm closer to returning to more normal activities. Pain meds are still making me sleepy, but I managed to make it to a restaurant for lunch a few days ago and through a movie at the theatre pretty comfortably without much need for repositioning. I didn't wear the brace (the surgeon wasn't going to give me one, I begged), because it digs into the tops of my thighs when sitting and makes my legs fall asleep. My throw pillow has become my security blanket and goes with me everywhere.

I had a couple beers last night (don't worry, I made sure it was after my dinnertime dose had worn off and I pretty much skipped the overnight dose so I never got woozy). It felt great to kick back on the lanai with my husband. Today I'm going to try and spend some time on the computer organizing my photos. I think it will be up/down all day since sitting is not my best position.

valleygirl
09-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Wow, Sandy. It's is absolutely wonderful to read all your posts. With each and every one that you write (and I read) you sound better and better. It's hard to believe that you just had surgery a couple of weeks ago. You are awesome!

Here's wishing that we all have recoveries like yours!

jlg627
09-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Sandy,

You continue to be an inspiration to those of us having surgery in the near future! I'm so happy that your recovery is going well! :)

johnsonbunch
09-10-2009, 12:55 PM
It's been a whole month, hard to believe. Saw the doctor and he says I'm doing fab. He pulled off all my steri-strips and I started Mederma on the incision. I'm clear to swim and drive and return to work when I feel up to it. Think I'll collect unemployment for a while instead while I heal. The fusion takes up to 2 years to fully complete. I'll give myself a couple months.

I have 2 titanium rods and 26 screws, including the iliac screws in my pelvis. My bottom curve went from 68 degrees to 26 (looks straighter than that to me). My thoracic curve which was not included in the fusion went from 55 degrees to 30. My ribcage up top is closer to my right arm than my left, he says because he corrected what Susan calls "the gangsta lean" to the left I had from the bad lumbar curve. I lost almost 10 lbs, I don't know how. My appetite has been good except for the first week. I went from 10 mg Percoset every 3 1/2 hrs after surgery to 5 mg every 6-8 hours.

I feel pretty good and want everyone to know it gets better! I'm especially pleased that the intense stabbing pain I had at the worst part of the lumbar curve where the vertabrae was shifting off center (spondylosis), and the sciatic pain was instantly gone after surgery. That alone was worth it!

debbei
09-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Congratulations on feeling so much better! It will keep getting better and better in baby steps!

asccbodypro
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Sandy,

Sounds like your doing awesome! I can't believe you feel ready to drive at 4 weeks. I'm at 4 months and still on my meds as you probably know, so no driving. The frustration is building more and more each day. I know we all heal differently but your surgery was more involved than mine and I am still struggling. I am doing house work and somethings with the baby. Everyone says don't over do it and I really don't think I do enough. I just don't now how I should be judging myself anymore. As far as meds, you sound like you are already doing way better than me. Maybe it's a mind over matter issue. I know that It will take time for me to wean off because of the length of time and I really don't want to feel sick. I already fight with bad headaches this time of year here in VA Beach so to add to the discomfort of that is just a pain in the butt. I usually have energy and happy and I feel like I am loosing that part of myself. Hormones? Meds? I no longer know!!!! UGH! I think it must be hormones this week. I just can't shake it.

JenniferG
09-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Sandy, that's wonderful news. So glad to hear your recovery is going so well.

Susan, I don't really think you can compare recoveries. I think you just need to be guided by your own body and try not to overdo things. I fully understand your frustration, but one day this will be behind you and the slowness/speed of recovery will be forgotten as you just get on with your life. Just look forward to that day. It will happen! *hugs*

Doodles
09-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Sandy--
Glad you are doing so well and so early. What do you mean about the gangsta lean and having rib cage closer to right than left arm? I have a definite lean to the left so left arm hangs free from side (& rib cage?) and right arm is close to the side. Is this the same with you? Did they think that would ever change? It seems to have something to do with my left leg being shorter than the other now and I often wear a lift just so I don't feel like I'm in a hole. I really just don't get it.
I haven't found anyone else with this and it seems to cause me a lot of worry. Going through so much to get something different I see every time I look in the mirror. Couldn't see my back! Janet

johnsonbunch
12-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Got down to 1/2 a 5 mg Percoset at my 2nd month, off completely by the 3rd month. Now at 4 months post-op, I have no pain anymore and am back to anything I want to do but lift things. Even ride my bike (its a beach cruiser so I sit more upright). Walking is clunky (I feel like Frankenstein) and the kids say I walk too slow. I should walk more than I do, working on that regimen.

I'm very glad I did the surgery when I did, but also glad I waited through my active 20s and 30s. There's no way I'd be able to do the wild waterskiiing, snowskiing, sailing and other sports now with the fusion, but I do hope to do a milder version again once I'm completely healed. It's amazing how much flexibility I still have in the hips and upper back. I don't feel much restricted, except I can't lay on my belly and prop myself up with my elbows. Can't bend that way. A small price to pay for the absence of pain and a hump-free back and symmetrical waist.

I've been told I had the textbook inspirational recovery and I welcome private messages (that go to my email) from anyone with questions or fears. I don't frequent the board much anymore.