I got a date for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a date for surgery

I don't know if I'm excited, nervous, or both, but I just got the call to schedule my surgery date. September 8th. YIKES....it's right around the corner. So much to do to get ready. Now I'll be running around like crazy trying to get all the loose ends of my life wrapped up. Good thing I just ordered those 2 books (1 by Wolpert and 1 by Nuewirth) yesterday. I'm going to need them!

I can't wait to be out of this pain!
    ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
    Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
    Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
    Now curve is T38*, L53*
    Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Congrats on a solid DATE. Doesn't it change how you perceive this upcoming surgery? For me, the second that I went from "I'm going to. . " TO "I'm going to . . . on Aug 25" my whole outlook changed.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mgs View Post
      Congrats on a solid DATE. Doesn't it change how you perceive this upcoming surgery? For me, the second that I went from "I'm going to. . " TO "I'm going to . . . on Aug 25" my whole outlook changed.
      Oh I know what you mean there...when I got a definite date, I started literally counting down the days, but mine started at 132 days!! And boy did they go fast and everyday was a rollercoaster of emotions! I am glad you got the date set though, it'll totally be worth it!
      .: St@ci :.
      28 years old
      Mama to two daughters
      Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
      No treatment.
      Decided on surgery 16 years later.
      Thoracic curve - 65
      Lumbar curve- 63
      Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
      Fused T2-L3
      No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!
      http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by valleygirl View Post
        I don't know if I'm excited, nervous, or both, but I just got the call to schedule my surgery date. September 8th. YIKES....it's right around the corner. So much to do to get ready. Now I'll be running around like crazy trying to get all the loose ends of my life wrapped up. Good thing I just ordered those 2 books (1 by Wolpert and 1 by Nuewirth) yesterday. I'm going to need them!

I can't wait to be out of this pain!
        Good for you! The hardest part (deciding) is over. Now you just have to put your head down, get yourself ready and it'll be her before you know it. Once I scheduled, I had 4 months to wait, which in my opinion is a little too long. Gives your mind too much time to worry. You have just enough time to get everything ready, but not drive yourself too crazy.

I loved both those books and read them in 1 day each. If you have other questions, just ask here, and someone will be able to help you.

GOod luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Congrats on getting a surgery date! I think you'll find it easier to have the short time to prepare and do all the pre-surgery things. I had 6 months--way too long! You'll do great. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks for the responses and encouragement. It really helps. I'm not sure how I feel exactly, but I am glad to only have a short wait. As it seems that each day my pain grows, I am anxious to put this behind me.

I've already booked my appointments to give blood and jumped in and started taking the required iron supplements today.

At least it's beginning to sink in and i feel like, maybe, just maybe, I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
            ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
            Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
            Now curve is T38*, L53*

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Good luck VG. Hope the time passes quickly and you have a successful surgery and a smooth recovery.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery, and for a smooth and uncomplicated recovery.
                P.S. Take those iron tablets and boost the iron intake in a dietary way as well!
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                  Once I scheduled, I had 4 months to wait, which in my opinion is a little too long. Gives your mind too much time to worry.
                  I think I'd go crazy if I had that long to worry. But now at 8 days and counting, I wish I had more time, there's so much to do!

Best of luck to you, and wishing you a speedy recovery.
                  Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
                  Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
                  Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
                  Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
                  Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Valleygirl,

Good luck to you and I will pray for a quick recovery. Who is your doctor for your surgery if I may ask?

Rzbud
                    54 yrs. old

Comment

Good luck. Try to relax and take care of business these last few weeks. Live it up a little too if you can...just my suggestion of course! Everyone is right, the decision to make the apt and the waiting for the day to hurry up & get here are almost worst than after. By no means am I down playing recovery, its just the what if's and wondering what to expect that gets ya! take care and ask all of the questions you need to...we are all here for you!

Lynn
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital
                      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes everyone!

Rzbud, I'm having my surgery at Kaiser, Los Angeles with Dr. Ganocy. I had gotten another opinion at Cedar Sinai hospital in L.A. and while I liked that doctor a lot, I'm glad to have Ganocy doing my surgery. That's a good thing since he is covered by my insurance and Cedars isn't. He also spent a tremendous amount of time with my husband and myself discussing, and explaining the procedure. And we left his office feeling very confident.

Lynn, I'll try to take your advice and "live it up a little" too. We have a quick trip planned for Labor Day weekend, to the river for 3 days of water fun. Since being in the water is the one place that my back actually feels better, I'm looking forward to it. But my surgery is that Tuesday after the long weekend and I'll have to take this trip without being on my normal nsaid. The long car ride may be problematic. Oh well, I'll give it my best to tough it out! Tylenol and I will become best friends!
                        ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
                        Now curve is T38*, L53*

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Valleygirl,

Thank you for the info. I too went to Cedar but am going with a doctor out of UCI. My surgery is scheduled for Oct. 5th. Long time but I wanted to
                          enjoy summer a bit longer before my long recovery. I am anxious and do feel more pain lately and want to put it behind me as well. Have a great trip on Labor Day weekend. I will pray for you in having a very successful surgery.
                          Rzbud

Comment

Originally posted by rzbud View Post
                            Valleygirl,

Thank you for the info. I too went to Cedar but am going with a doctor out of UCI. My surgery is scheduled for Oct. 5th. Long time but I wanted to
                            enjoy summer a bit longer before my long recovery. I am anxious and do feel more pain lately and want to put it behind me as well. Have a great trip on Labor Day weekend. I will pray for you in having a very successful surgery.
                            Rzbud
                            Rzbud,

I'm curious, what and where is your curve? Do you know what levels you are having fused? I am supposed to have a long fusion - T5 to either sacrum or pelvis (I need clarification from doctor). My surgery will be the only one he'll do that day as it is most likely going to be about 8 hours. Normally, he says he does 2 per day, when they are shorter fusions.

Who is your doctor at UCI? I don't blame you for trying to enjoy the rest of the summer. For me, every day I am able to do less and I figure there is never really going to be a good time for this surgery. So I took the first date that came up and now I am just looking ahead to a much healthier new year! That said, we all need to do what is right for us. Thanks for the prayers and I'm doing the same for you. Please keep posting on your progress.
                            ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
                            Now curve is T38*, L53*

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Hi Valleygirl,

I am having T11 - L5 which is suppose to be 5 -6 hrs or so. The doctor will have his partner assist with with the surgery so they can get the surgery done at a little quicker pace. My curve is 44. Because my posture is somewhat pretty good he will only need to fuse these levels unless he sees different once he is inside.
                              Dr. Bhatia is my doctor, the one who performed surgery on the only survivor of the Anaheim car accident that killed several people along with the Angel baseball pitcher. Jon Wilhite was internally decapitated the skull from his spine. He is a walking, talking miracle now. I also have to have my neck fused due to my spine turning has caused cervical thinning but am told to await until I feel symptoms before having the surgery correction. Have enough on my plate right now. I do like that idea, one thing at a time.
                              My friends have asked me why wait but I am ok with this. It is only about 8 wks out anyway. I will keep in touch and you do the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X