2 months post op!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 months post op!!

Hi everyone. I have been meaning to post for a while, but I have been so busy! I am now 2 months post op and I feel great. I have been off my pain meds for a few weeks and I haven't even needed to take tylenol. My one lingering problem was fatigue. I didnt really take naps, but I would get so tired midday and then get a second wind around 10-11 at night so I couldn't get to sleep until really late. Fortunately this has gotten much better in the past week or two.

At my 6 week appointment my doctor had x-rays taken and said everything looked really good. I asked about restrictions and he said I could do whatever I wanted as long as I started out slowly and listened to my body. Has anyone else been told this so early in their recovery? I expected him to restrict something but he said its really not necessary.

Since I have felt so much better, I have been taking classes 3 days a week and even started working at about 6 weeks post op. I am still deciding whether or not I will be able to go back to dancing this fall semester though. I feel good enough to, but I am not sure I will have the flexibility yet

Is anyone else able to feel the rods and screws? When I touch certain parts of my back, I can feel the rods along either side of my spine. Theres even 1-2 spots where I can feel a pretty big screw! Its not painful and doesn't really bother me, its just a little creepy. Can anyone else feel this?

I never would have thought I would be doing so well already. I am so glad I decided to go through with this surgery!
    Last edited by sarah105; 08-03-2009, 12:33 PM.
    Sarah
    22 year old grad student
    Boston brace from 12-14
    surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
    Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
    Thoracic curve 47*
    Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Hi Sarah...

So glad to hear that you're doing so well!

Dr. Michael Neuwirth (who wrote the Scoliosis Handbook/Sourcebook), routinely tells his patients pretty much what you were told. The current implant systems are pretty secure, so while I'm sure there's risk with some activities, it's not as much as it once was.

I can feel my rods at the very top, and I agree that it feels creepy. I think it's relatively common to be able to feel the implants, especially in very thin people.

Best of luck with a continued fast recovery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Sarah

This is good news.

"Listening to your body" is important, however, I still think its best to take it easy till you are fused.

The hardware is excellent from a design standpoint, but movement is still possible on a small scale, and disrupting a healing joint cannot help matters any.

You will heal fast!

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Cool pics. Good to see they left most of your lumbar unfused, you should not lose much ROM at all
        45L/40T
        Surgery 25/1/2010
        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Hi Sarah, I had my 8 week post-op appt last week. My dr. also said that my x-rays looked good, but reminded me that 'its still early days yet'. I have been off pain meds since day 15 post-op, therefore he has cleared me to drive and I was also told to commence doing more but to listen to my body.
          However, and this is where it gets confusing, vacuuming and other chores (some of them) and heavy lifting are a no-no. I have decided to try to do what I can - if its painful or irritating - stop.
          Vali
          44 years young! now 45
          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
          Post -op - 5 degrees
          T11 - S1 Posterior
          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
          X