Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can curves increase after surgery?

Hi all,

My surgeon left one vertebrae at the top unfused and one at the bottom (my curve was from T11-L4, he fused T12-L3). He did this as a compromise between getting a good correction and maintaining lumbar flexibility. I was just wondering, does this mean that my curve can increase again or is it fine? I'm probably worrying unnecessarily but just need the reassurance. Thanks
    Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
    46° curve
    Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Originally posted by Cimbom View Post
    Hi all,

My surgeon left one vertebrae at the top unfused and one at the bottom (my curve was from T11-L4, he fused T12-L3). He did this as a compromise between getting a good correction and maintaining lumbar flexibility. I was just wondering, does this mean that my curve can increase again or is it fine? I'm probably worrying unnecessarily but just need the reassurance. Thanks
    Hi...

If the fusion is solid, there will be no significant increase within the fusion mass.

If the fusion never solidifies, the rods may eventually break, and the curves may return.

Beyond that, you may curve above or below the fusion. If your discs and vertebrae below L3 are not level, you have a risk that you will need the fusion extended. On the upper end, it's possible that your spine could curve above the fusion or that your spine could become more kyphotic (search junctional kyphosis).

Hope none of that happens.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

continued progression

I have read the same thing of what Linda is talking about and have also wondered and worried(a tiny bit) if that would happen to me. chances are it probably wouldn't happen but I think it's natural to worry about it. Certainly not silly to ask or to keep checking on things through the years just to be on the safe side.
      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

No sense worrying, just be aware of it.

All of us, pre or post,will need that occasional peek (x-ray) once in a while.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...