Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Work?

Hi everyone,
    I'm wondering when and how people return to work after surgery?

I am three months post-op and I've planned all along to go back to work at the start of the new school years, which is Aug. 31. I am worried that I will not be able to make it five full days a week consistantly. I get so tired after a few hours on my feet and if I push it, I end up very sore and in need of a restful day after. I suffered through the last school year with too many absences and everyone around me seeing my pain, and I do not want to start this year the same way. I know that I have a few weeks to go and I feel better and stronger every week, but I need to have a plan in place ASAP.

What are your experiences with going back to work? Any suggestions?
    -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
    Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
    Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
    Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

I have some suggestions....

I'm a teacher, too and had my surgery last year so maybe I can help you.
    At the first staff mtg. when everyone was asked about their summer, I passed around small pics of before and after surgery. I told them I didn't want them to think I had just sat around eating chocolates and watching soap operas during my leave. Also, I let my class look at the pics and explained the surgery- not all the details, tho! I impressed upon them that I would really appreciate their help during the school year with things such as picking up papers, moving desks, etc as I was still recovering. My classes mainly consisted of 8th grade boys- learning disabled- and they were wonderful!
    Also, watch the demands you place on yourself. At the end of the day go home and rest. I was usually "done in" by the end of the day. This surgery is huge and you have to allow time to heal. When informed that I had bus duty at the start of the school year which involves a good 45 minutes of standing, I told my principal I wouldn't be able to. He was understanding and relieved me of this duty. People are understanding, for the most part.
    Be kind and patient with yourself. I'll be thinking of you. I go back next week.
    CSC
    Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
    S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Hi CSC, Thanks for your suggestions. I'm an elementary school aide not a teacher, so the demands outside of class are less on me. I am very busy in school though because I move from class to class doing reading, writing, and math with third and fourth grade students all day long. I hadn't thought about the duties. How long were you out of school?
      -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12

Comment

Gosh, Jo, it's so hard to know how it will go. I also had planned to go back after 3 months, but it didn't work out for me. A few weeks before school started I realized I just wouldn't be able to do it, so extended my medical leave (I had taken the last few weeks off in the spring) to include the first semester, then ended up taking the rest of the school year off. At the time, people on the forum suggested trying to work a few hours a day or just a couple days a week, but those weren't options for me--it was all or nothing. Maybe you could do it that way, though. We had two aides share one position last year. As far as duties go-- they can be killers. We have back-to-back lunch and recess duty with no break, and you are standing or walking the whole time. The other gal I shared duties with wiped the tables down and would pick up dropped food/silverware, etc., while I did other aspects that weren't quite as physically difficult. But there's no way I could have gotten out of doing the duties themselves. We've had cuts at our school, jobs are scarce, and I'm sure there would be ample people wanting my position if it looked like I couldn't pull my weight. It makes it hard to ask for help... but csc is right--the kids will do things to help if you ask. Let us know what you decide.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I was thinking about going back part time, either every other day or all week but half days, but I spoke to my principal today and she said she does not have part time positions. So it's all or nothing for me as well. She said I could let her know my plan in two weeks. If I'm not ready to go back I'll need to get another Dr letter and write a letter of request for extension to the superintendent. ... I was so sure I'd be ready! On one hand I'm afraid of going back too soon and not being able to handle it, on the other I don't know how I'll feel in four weeks.
          -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12

Comment

CSC, I think you handled it well. Showing your xrays brings it home how much of a big operation it is, and asking the kids for help. I've always found it hard to ask for help, but have found that when I do, people go out of their way to help, kids included. People want to help.

Jo, at 3 months I would not have been able to go back to work full time, but at nearly 5 months, I most definitely could. Probably 4 months would have been the time that I could have handled full time work. I am having a holiday in August/September and when I get back, I'm going to look for work. I was expecting to take 12 months off, in fact there wasn't actually a plan to go back to work at all, but I feel raring to go, so I may as well.

We are all different, but if you're anything like me, you will handle it because you'll be around 4 months when school starts. I doubt you could go wrong if you followed CSC's advice. Good luck!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jennifer-- you are so right about how we are all different! And it depends on what your job is like too. I should have said I also showed x-rays and explained everything to both staff and students-- and even stopped by periodically and they saw my progress. My "kids" knew when I left early in May that one year what was happening and missed me the year I was gone. I guess the only reason I'm saying anything further is because even if people understand and are very sympathetic, that doesn't mean that the work will get done by others. Also, I am sure I could have returned to a desk job at 3-4 months post-op. I also think it's a good possibility that Jo will do just fine if she heads back next month.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie, yes, I should have said, it would depend on the job and I don't fully understand what a teacher's aid does. I can only answer Jo's question based on my own experience and that is, from four months I would have been fit to do most things.

Comment

I understand, Jennifer. Just wanted to mention that-- and I know the aides at my school do a variety of things, but it depends on the grade level that they're working with. Some spend at least some of their time sitting on the floor out in the hall working one-on-one with students. Kindergarten would be the worst, in my opinion, with lots of bending over to help and kids not understanding limitations... Aides generally do recess and lunch duties.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Well, I am almost 6 months post op and plan to return to school as a student, and begin a 16 hour/week (minimum) practicum on August 24th. School is 2 nights a week and the practicum will be during the day. The main problem is that I will drive an hour to my practicum and an hour to school so I hope not to do both on the same day. I am concerned that I will not be able to function because I have been off for so long and because I get tired so easily. Monday night my class is from 7:20 to 10:00, which drains me of all energy normally and now I can't imagine what it will do to me. I guess we can only do the best we can do. So far I have discovered that the more I do, the stiffer I am but I am also very stiff if I just sit at the computer all day. Right now i am in a terrible funk with no energy or motivation coupled with depression. I know it will pass but for right now it's awful. We made plans to go away for a couple of days to go snorkeling and I am regretting making the plans. I don't feel strong enough to do it and my husband thinks that I am all fixed up and don't need any help or attention. Ok I am beginning to vent so I will stop now.
                    Avis
                    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

When I wrote this post I was mostly thinking about my stamina and getting through a week of school with the unending positive energy that is required of anyone in education. Every minute of an aide's day is planned by the regular and special ed teachers and there is no down time. We go from room to room assisting with reading writing and math following teacher plans, either floating or working with small groups or individual students. I also have three of my own reading groups that I have to plan for.

I was concerned about not letting teachers and students down if I cannot do all that is planned for me to do. Last year people really accommidated my back issues and I felt badly when people needed to pick up the slack for me or when things did not get done because I was not there.

I was also thinking about how much I'd miss coming in a month or two late. Those first few weeks are when a class comes together as a community and gets to know each others strengths, needs, and challenges. I'd like to be there for that.

You've all helped me to think more about the details of my job that will prove to be quite challenging. Since I work in third grade, we do a lot of sitting on the floor and leaning over student work throughout my day. I got around that last year by bringing my groups to a table, but those tiny chairs bring a challenge all their own. I do have two duties a day, recess and morning greeter which take up two twenty minute blocks of time a day.

I wish my principal had been open to letting me start out with half time disability, but she's not. I asked if she'd consider half days every day, or full days every other day because I think I could handle that. That's what I do now. I rest after a few busy hours and when I push myself for a busy day then I'm tired the next. If I have two normal busy days I need a day to recover. II still have two weeks to figure it out. Thanks for your imput.
                      -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12

Comment

Back to school

Jo,
                        My heart goes out you. I wish your principal was more accommodating. We make these all the time for the kids.....Your job is harder physically than mine was as a teacher. I often had the students come to me and I was seated. I still cannot for any length of time bend over at a desk and my students were a lot older. Would it be possible to find some "adult chairs" on campus? Also, I found some simple type pillows helped. Perhaps, you could have an icebag ready for lunchtime, if it helps.
                        You have some time to heal right now. Try to make the best of it and build up your strength.
                        CSC
                        Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
                        S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

It's a hard decision to make Jo. Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

Comment

I am 6.5 months post-op now...two months ago, I took on a Nanny position...I watch 4 kids, plus my two girls come with me. SIX KIDS. I think I was glutton for punishment! They are kids though, not babies, so I don't pick up any babies other than my 2.5 year old occasionally. But still, the first couple of weeks were REALLY hard, and I came home in tears, and laid on my heating pad for the rest of the night once I came home. Now that I am used to it, its not too bad. And its only for the remainder of the summer, thankfully!
                            .: St@ci :.
                            28 years old
                            Mama to two daughters
                            Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
                            No treatment.
                            Decided on surgery 16 years later.
                            Thoracic curve - 65
                            Lumbar curve- 63
                            Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
                            Fused T2-L3
                            No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!
                            http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com

Comment

At 4 months, I was starting to feel pretty good, but I would get bad spells where I'd get muscle spasms and have to rest a lot. For myself, I think I was still too tired to be able to function at work full time. I did go back to work at 7.5 months post op; now I'm 9 months out. One thing I've learned recently is that the muscle spasms I get around my left shoulder blade are sometimes directly related to work stress. I had such a terrible, horrible, stressful work week last week and my muscles there were just tied up in knots; the worst they have been in months and months. Once I relaxed Friday afternoon because the stress let up--OMG it seemed that the pain and tightness just disappeared.

I also think the weather and over-doing it physically cause the muscle spasms too, but this was the first time that I clearly saw a link to stress.

Sigh......if only I could be a "Kept Woman" and didn't have to work.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X