Sensitive back post surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensitive back post surgery

My son had surgery about 2 months ago and his back is still sensitive to touch. He is not having any discomfort, just when people touch his back he flinchs as it is very sensitive. Also, after sleeping on his side at night his shoulder cramps and he wakes up with stiffness. Anyone else have similar experience? How long does this last?

My son had a sensitive back for a long time after his surgery, but I can't remember exactly how long that lasted. It's been two years now and he still doesn't lean back on hard-backed chairs.

Regarding the sleeping issue, you might try using pillows he can relax into which might help with the stiffness. He's still so early in his recovery, it will only get easier over time so hang in there. Soon it will all get much better.

All the best,
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Hi...

I also had a very sensitive back for some time after surgery. If someone came up behind me and touched my back, even lightly, you'd have to peel me off the ceiling.

By the way, I'm moving this from the kids forum to the parents forum.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
      X