Walking post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking post-op

I'm kind of trying to picture what those first weeks will be like. I know that they will have me walking the first or second day, and that walking is very important.

How much should I push myself , and how hard should I push myself? Is there such a thing as too much walking in those first days? Or should I aim to walk as as much as I can stand it, as often as I can stand it?
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

mgs,

It's extremely important to walk. My doctor told me to walk as much as possible, and he made sure my husband was aware of that order! So, when I was discharged from the hospital and as we were pulling into the driveway, my husband asked me if I wanted to walk. I asked if we could unload the car first... I used my walker and he was the "gatekeeper," using a leather belt around my TLSO brace so I couldn't fall down. We set mailboxes or driveways as my goal the first week, and progressed from there. I ditched the walker the next day, as it made me lean too far forward and I wanted to stand straighter.
    Lesley
    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

My Dr. told me to walk at least 30 minutes, every day, starting the day I came home, which was day 6. In the beginning, I broke it up into 2 or 3 pieces, but it didn't take long to be able to walk 30 minutes straight. Maybe 2 weeks max.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I do think everyone is different...and every surgery is different. I also had Tribus...I anticipated walking right away...I ended up not walking until day 8 due to some unforeseen problems. Now I can handle about 10 minutes of solid walking at a time (3 months later). Dr. wants me to work up to a mile which I am shooting for. My problem is hip pain more so than back pain right now. It's nice to look ahead but be realistic and realize that what you expect of yourself may need to be altered a bit after surgery. Luckily I had a PT visit me at home who was relentless...my hubby is too much of a softie and would've let me stay in bed forever (slight exaggeration!) Walking is definitely important - have someone around who will set new goals for you. My 4 year old is now in charge of my PT since my "real" PT is done
        Best of luck to you!

Always Smilin'
        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
        pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
        pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
        right thoracic 57
        lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
        revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
        unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

I remember when I first decided to have surgery and my doctor explained to me the importance of walking. He said that I'd be sitting up in bed about 12 hours after the surgery and then the very next day, I would walk from my bed to the chair. Then from the chair to the hall, etc. I remember thinking how on earth am I going to be able to even sit up in bed, let alone WALK after having my entire spine recontructed?? But when the time came, I gripped onto the walker and I baby-stepped to my chair...then the 2nd time, I walked in the hall with the walker, and it was a little easier. Then on the 3rd day, I was walking all by myself! Slow as Christmas, but I was doing it! I remember feeling off balance because for so long my body was accustomed to being crooked, and now it was trying to walk with a straight spine! Also I remember feeling top heavy...maybe it was the medication on top of the pressure of the instrumentation (the instrumentation doesn't weigh a whole lot but I think its psychological too ) But I do know that my little treks down the hall and back again would wear me out at first! But every single time it got easier. I stayed with my grandparents during recovery, and in their house, the hall and kitchen and dining room all connect in a circle, and everyday, I'd put my iPod on and walk in laps for 30 minutes, working up to 45 minutes, then an hour or two...not all at once...just during the day when I was bored and I knew it was important to walk! It's very easy to want to stay in bed, but I found out rather quickly that if you try and stay in bed, your body gets stiff and sore and walking makes a world of difference!

And about what you said about whould you push yourself to walk as much as you can stand it...I personally don't think thats good, you don't want to over-exert yourself, because thats REALLY easy to do and it sucks! You wanna push yourself, but you need to pace yourself too.
          As long as your doing at least the 30 minutes a day thing at first and working your way up, that should be plenty
          Last edited by twistedmama81; 07-30-2009, 12:12 AM.
          .: St@ci :.
          28 years old
          Mama to two daughters
          Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
          No treatment.
          Decided on surgery 16 years later.
          Thoracic curve - 65
          Lumbar curve- 63
          Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
          Fused T2-L3
          No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!
          http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com

Comment

When I first got home from the hospital my back really hurt despite the pain meds. I had used a walker in the hospital walking the halls, but after the second day home I just used the walker for trips to the potty at night, as I didn’t turn on lights so my hubby could sleep. (had a slight infection which caused me to use the bathroom every hour and a half for a couple weeks. THAT wasn’t fun) I remember feeling unbalanced and I could not get comfortable anywhere. I had the most luck with a straight backed, slightly padded kitchen chair. Because I couldn’t get comfortable and I didn’t want to sleep either, I paced around the house a lot. It wasn’t “structured exercise” but I figured it was better than nothing. It was cold outside and seemed to rain nearly every day at some point, especially when I was ready to venture outside! I started walking outside my 2nd week home after surgery. I always had someone with me because I had a hard time figuring out when I was over doing it, until it was too late. My brain said one thing and my body said something else! We set small goals before we started out so we tried to go just a little farther each time. (I tended to forget I still had to get back home…) As it got warmer outside I walked once in the morning and then again in the evening. Being the age I am AND on pain meds I was having a difficult time maintaining a level body temperature. I got so over heated in the middle of the day I was miserable. Now I walk on our treadmill and just put the fan on and walk. I like an incline too so that’s another plus for the treadmill.

The other thing that is certainly true for bones and muscles in new configurations is that moving is the best thing. The more you move the better you feel, the less stiff you are. Just listen to your body, you’ll figure it out!
            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
            Achieved +70% Correction
            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
            New Spine 03/19/2009
            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

I vaguely remember walking in the hospital the first week and the next week at rehab but most of that is a blur which is probably good. I walked around the house some but outside I'd get one block and have pain in my hip and have to come back. I think I finally was able to walk about 20 minutes about a month or so ago. I'm just fine with it now and usually go 30-35 minutes. Yesterday I got to 45--my personal best so far. So it is different for everyone. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
              X