Clear All

• Handbags/shoulder bags post-op?

What are all your thoughts on this? Thanks
    Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
    46° curve
    Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Originally posted by Cimbom View Post
    What are all your thoughts on this? Thanks
    You should check with your surgeon's office, but I'm guessing they'll say it's OK as long as it doesn't weigh much. I've taken to wearing a backpack instead of a shoulder bag, as my upper back seems to be really sensitive to imbalances.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

handbags

as one who has not had surgery (yet?) my doctor (years ago) warned me about any bag that throws your weight to one side, like a heavy shoulderbag or just any bag you carried on one shoulder...he said even a backpack is better cause the weight is even..i predict there will be slightly less scoli in the generation of children with backpacks vs those of us from the old school who carried our books on one hip all those school years!

i'd go with a fanny pack or backpack whenever possible!

take care
      jess

Comment

bags

cimbon,

For the first time ever my bag actually stays on my shoulder without me holding onto it:O) I never use to carry one. I would grab my ID's, cash and credit card and phone and in the pocket they would go. Now I can carry a bag, although honestly I am not a crazy fan of handbags. Right now though all that is in my bag is my wallet, sunglasses and phone, it is by no means over loaded. I figured the less I am jugling the less I am apt to get distracted and fall...that would be my luck.

I am with Linda though, a backpack is great for equal balance on the shoulders and back. I use a backpack as a diaper bag for my son. I choose this when he was born because I knew a regular bag wouldn't stay put. Ya for surgery! I never thought I would say that.

I have passed another little milestone. I can bend down now and get back up without feeling like I am hurting all over. My doc demonstrated how I could and couldn't bend so I am following his instructions per his demo! For the first time in three months I bent down and was able to hug my 17 month old. I felt like crying, sounds silly but it's something that I have missed soooo much, those little close hugs and kisses when he is in the mood for them lol!

My pain is also at a minimum. I think I will email the doc and start weening off the meds. I think it's time :O)
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

What a great idea! I went to Goodwill and found a leather Nine West mini backpack for $5.
          Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
          Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
          Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
          Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
          Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Its a good idea not to carry anything if possible. I wont even sit on my wallet. It has a tendency to lean me over like the leaning tower of Pisa.
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...