Comfortable resting positions after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfortable resting positions after surgery

I am typically a back sleeper but that seems painful. Would a recliner be better? Or is it more comfortable to sit upright? My husband also works for a medical supply company, so I could get a motorized hospital bed and kick my kid out of her room.

Also, I have a morphine allergy so I'll be on alternative meds. Any recommendations? I had Perkaset after my c-section and it killed the pain without making me woozy or nauseous.
    Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
    Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
    Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
    Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
    Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Hi Sandy,
    I'm a diehard stomach sleeper and that wasn't an option for quite a while. What worked best for me was to roll onto my right side, have someone GENTLY prop pillows sortof under me and then roll back on the pillows. I wasn't completely on my side and not on my back either, somewhere in between. By putting the pillows under my side as much as possible kept them from touching my back any more than necessary but kept me propped as well. My recliner worked pretty well also. By being able to adjust how far back I would recline and how high my feet were and then using pillows for propping I could find a pretty comfortable position. Pillows were and still are my best friend!

I'm allergic to morphine as well. I believe while in the hospital I was given Demorol through the IV and then switched to Oxycontin and Oxy IR (Immediate Release Oxycontin) along with Zanaflex which is a muscle relaxer. I am now taking Oxycontin, Percocet and Neurontin (Gabapentin). This combination works pretty well.
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Comment

Dear johnsonbunch-- I couldn't understand how anyone could be on their back after surgery! It sounded crazy to me. I think you'll find that it won't be that bad. Your back is kind of numb in a way, even though you have pain and discomfort. I had always been a stomach sleeper but have slept on my back pretty much all the time since my surgery over 2 years ago. Wait and see how things go. I was comfy sitting on our couch with a few extra pillows under, behind and around me-- but our couch is pretty new and has a higher seat than many... Best wishes with your surgery and recovery.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Sandy

All you will need is a foam topper, 2-4 inches thick for the top of the bed. Latex foam is best, you know,the good stuff not the cheap yellow egg crate stuff. Your bed needs to be flat, no hammocking. I have a medium tempurpedic and needed the foam as it was not soft enough. I have another bed that is hammocked approx 2 inches in the center and that didn't work all that well.

Like Becky says, pillows, pillows and more pillows. I like the soft down. Somewhere in between on your side and your back is the position you will sleep in, as the bandage over the staples will be right in the center of your back, and putting pressure directly on it is bothersome.

We don't hear about too many Zanaflex users here, its used with Lou Gehrig's patients. Brought back memories of my dad and his days with that insidious disease.

I did not do well in my recliner for quite some time. It took a few months before I was comfy in it.

Do not spend a whole lot of money on stuff right now, they will supply you with a walker and any necessary devices at the hospital and bill your insurance co.

Welcome to the full fusion club! Your x-ray will look like mine, its in my first thread.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I was always a stomach sleeper but not it's all on the back. I got a topper for the mattress too--very helpful. I actually bought a recliner before surgery and then couldn't get comfy in it for at least 2+ months. Also couldn't reach down to do the release back and up for some time. It's OK now though--with pillows. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

It sounded crazy to me too, but sleeping on my back with a pillow under my knees was the most comfortable for me after surgery. Laying on my side, which I did now and then just to mix it up, felt uncomfortable. Until at least 2 or 3 months post op, laying on my side felt like I was putting stress on my spine, and felt uncomfortable.

FYI--I woke up from the surgery on my back.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Oh goody. I was hoping I'd be able to sleep on my back.
              Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
              Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
              Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
              Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
              Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonbunch View Post
                I am typically a back sleeper but that seems painful. Would a recliner be better? Or is it more comfortable to sit upright? My husband also works for a medical supply company, so I could get a motorized hospital bed and kick my kid out of her room.

Also, I have a morphine allergy so I'll be on alternative meds. Any recommendations? I had Perkaset after my c-section and it killed the pain without making me woozy or nauseous.
                Sandy,

I just noticed your other question. Right after surgery, and for at LEAST one month, maybe more, I could no way, no how, sit on our brand new recliner leather furniture that I thought would be so comfortable after surgery. For the first month or so, I did best in a chair with a short seat length and a straight back. I'd have others arrange pillows behind my back to get me as comfortable as I could. If our home could have accomodated a hospital bed, I would have gotten one, but I did fine with our regular bed and 3" foam topper anyway.

And BTW, after a few months, my new recliner furniture worked out just fine. I love it now, although usually I still need a pillow behind my back because the seat length is too long.
                Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My 2 cents!

When I would go to bed at night, I would have this action plan I followed. I had 4 pillows. One under my head, one tucked behind my back, I hugged one, and one tucked between my legs. I would take my pain pills and go to bed...then get uncomfortable, turn on my back , put pillow under my knees, fall asleep!! I did get a mattress topper to soften up my mattress but it made it too soft. We have a foam mattress which is just right really. Sitting on our leather couch, I always had to have a pillow behind my back. I still have a small pillow in my car to put behind my back when I drive.
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Get a topper and plenty of pillows

I used to mostly sleep on my side or stomach. I have heard that many couldn't sleep on their side for months. The thought of sleeping on my back sounded crazy but I found that it wasn't too bad since right after surgery it is mostly numb and you will have good pain killers.

But what I found was that my side is usually the best. I had some trouble finding the right thickness of pillow to hold my head up high enough to take the pressure off my shoulder, but not too high. I also have to have a large pillow between my legs and one to rest my arm on.

The best advice I read prior to surgery was to get a foam topper. I have found this very very helpful. Also, have lots of pillows and use them everywhere to help get comfortable.

I don't mean to scare you but for a while, no position is comfortable for very long. Also at first, changing positions was very painful but I have found that has gotten better every day until it really isn't too bad now (3 weeks post op).

Best of luck to you.

Sheri
                    At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                    Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                    Excellent correction

Comment

Working...
                    X