Maternity Clothes for Post-Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maternity Clothes for Post-Op

No, I am not pregnant A friend of mine had a brilliant idea, namely, to go to a maternity store to look for loose-fitting pants and tops. You may already have thought of this, but in case you hadn't, you might want to consider it.

In addition to a body brace, I will need to wear a thigh brace for a while. The maternity store had some wonderful selections for super comfortable tops and pants that I could wear under as well as over the brace.
    Karen, 66 years "young"
    Polio at 6
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
    Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
    Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
    Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
    Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Three surgeries in one week:
    8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
    8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
    9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

My mother is in her 60s and about 4 sizes bigger than me. I'm planning on borrowing some of her sundresses to go over the brace since non of my shorts will fit around it.
    I don't know about maternity clothes, but I have thought about shopping in the plus size dept for some longer roomier stuff.
    Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
    Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
    Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
    Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
    Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Hi...

I simply wore knit pants with elastic waists.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

And I found those drawstring comfy cotton pants to work pretty well when I was bloated and also with my brace... the PJ type of pant, if you know what I mean.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I wore work-out pants, complete with matching jacket. I bought capris and long pants with elasticised waists at costco. I had a ribbed tank-like top that "came" with the TLSO. And I bought a compression cami locally to wear under. I thought I looked pretty snazzy! No one really noticed my brace, and they certainly didn't comment!
          Les
          Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
          Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
          T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
          Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
          Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
          Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
          Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
          Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
          Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I had a brace with a thigh component too. My pants did not go over the brace, you wear the brace over your pants. At least I did. It was difficult to find things that looked great with it, I ended up getting frustrated with it, and wore my brace OVER my clothes. My vanity went out the window. Also, I think it is common to lose alot of weight after surgery so don't get alot of bigger clothes! I lost about 10-15#.
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I just wear a cami and either a tank top or long sleeve cotton top under the brace and then a hoodie on top. My brace goes on top of my pants. Loose fitting tracksuit pants are fine. The top strap of my brace is the only part that is sometimes visable. Doesn't bother me too much though.
              Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
              46° curve
              Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

What did you all wear right after surgery? In other words, what will be easy to get on and off for the bathroom, etc. I'm thinking about the first couple of weeks at home? Should I avoid things I have to pull over my head? Even putting on sweat pants sounds a little complicated!

Kathy
                Surgery 8/26/09
                lumbar curve 63 degrees
                Kathy, 43
                Diagnosed as a teen
                Boston brace 2 years
                63 degree lumbar curve
                Surgery August 26, 2009
                Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                now 28 degrees

Comment

I just wore PJs which button up at the front but later also tank tops, etc as I had no issue lifting my arms up. The second time I had a shower, I was able to shampoo my own hair, etc without any problem. My dressing gown also kept me pretty warm. Don't worry too much about the flexibility aspect, you'll soon develop your own creative way of doing things
                  46° curve

Comment

Long sleeve shirts? Jackets and hoodies? Sweatpants? You guys are making me sweat. I'll be in a plastic shell in the middle of summer in 100 degree heat and 100 percent humidity!

I bought some elastic waist shorts and am shopping for a nightgown. Buttons is a good idea.

Good luck on your surgery, Kathy. You'll be in a couple weeks after me. What state are you in?
                    Sandy

Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Haha, whoops. I'm in Melbourne, Australia and it's winter over here. Don't mind me
                      46° curve

Comment

pants

I had some maternity pants left fromhaving a baby last year and they worked ok. I was so swollen after my surgery that my brace looked like it had a pregnant stomach. They had to add so much padding to the stomach just to make it fit right because I lost a lot of fluid right away. Go ahead and try some. I found xlarge draw string pants the most comfy. The first 2 3/4 months post op that's what I wore. I am back to my normal cloths now thank god! I should say I am back to all my old clothes. I have not only lost all the surgery and baby weight I could loose due to the pain and not working out with the same intensity I am loosing now still because I am able to do cardio everyday now and feel great. I am finally feeling like my old self. It's amazing how much being in pain for years can change ones personality. I'm starting to feel happy all the time rather than dragging myself through everyday! Good luck with whatever you find to wear and remember it's just temporary!
                        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Sandy,

I'm in Northern Virginia in suburb of DC...so it's mighty humid here in August...I'm thinking of wearing around the house some zip up bathing suit cover ups that I have. They are blousy and cool and I won't have to deal with pants! Let's face it, I'm wearing one now b/c it's comfortable! BTW, how do I put a signature on these messages so I don't have to keep writing all my info each time?
                          Kathy, 43
                          Diagnosed as a teen
                          Boston brace 2 years
                          63 degree lumbar curve
                          Surgery August 26, 2009
                          Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                          now 28 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by kt2009 View Post
                            BTW, how do I put a signature on these messages so I don't have to keep writing all my info each time?
                            Once you log in, click on User CP (control panel) in the top blue bar. Then halfway down on the left click on Edit Signature.
                            Sandy

Comment

As my surgery was on June 1st, and its winter over here (adelaide - Aust),
                              i purchsed some trackpants with drawstrings & zip up hoodies. For pjs, i got two piece button up flannelettes and my dressing gown is very warm.
                              Vali
                              44 years young! now 45
                              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                              Post -op - 5 degrees
                              T11 - S1 Posterior
                              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
                              X