Menopause and Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menopause and Scoliosis

I am wondering if there is any evidence that scoliosis worsens following menopause. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Erica...

There's a lot of evidence showing that bone quality can worsen during menopause, causing de-novo scoliosis. I would guess that poor bone quality probably also has the potential effect of increasing scoliosis curves that were already in existence. As far as I know, there's no research showing that people with good bone quality exhibit increases in their curves during or after menopause.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks, Linda. On a somewhat related topic, isn't there some evidence indicating or suggesting that scoliotic individals do not absorb calcium as well as others? I seem to recall reading something to the effect that, even if you take calcium supplements, your body may not absorb the calcium normally if you have scoliosis. I apologize if I'm being redundant -- this topic may well have been covered already in this forum. Thanks.

Comment

Hi...

There is some research on scoliosis and calcium, but I'm not sure I have enough scientific knowledge to adequately understand it. I do know that there is always a question of whether the problem is one of cause or effect in terms of bracing. (In other words, do kids who are braced have osteopopenia and osteoporosis because of the braces that they wear?)

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X