pants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pants

Back to wearing normal clothes and for the first time EVER my pants hang on my hips perfectly straight!!! I was so impressed yesterday that I had to show my husband and he started to laugh! It's one of the first times I have been truly greatful for having this surgery done besides having less pain of course. That was the first thing! Hope everyone out there is well and has a great weekend!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

That's wonderful! The pain being gone is of course the best news... but after a lifetime of cursing your crooked hips, it must be a wonderful feeling to be straight!

Congrats!
    Living life after a Milwaukee...
    And still crooked as a jail bird...

Comment

Isn't it great?

Are you wearing a bra ok? I'm sitting here now thinking I want to rip it off and throw it in the bin.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

bras

Jennifer,

The Bras aren't bothering me but they are a tad bit to big. I have lost a ton of weight from surgery. I think about 35ish pounds now. Time togo out and do some shopping this week in that department but if it's one thing I dislike it's bra shopping!!!! UGH! I know a lot of women say how much their bras bother them after surgery so I was surprised when mine didn't. I'm also not that numb at all and haven't got that itchiness that many have had. The only itchiness I had was when I would take off my brace because the special tshirts were stretchy ribbed like material and that would make me itch. I can't praise my doctor enough at this point. I think he did an amazing job....so far so good. Minus my own stupid set back :O) Take care.
        Susan

Comment

That's great news. Have you tried on jeans yet? I remember a few people on here saying that they needed to buy a different size after surgery. I'm still living in my tracksuit pants. A bit scared to wear proper clothes for now :P Bras are surprisingly comfy for me too. I weighed myself a few days ago and I'm back to my weight before surgery which is good as I can't really afford to lose much.
          Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
          46° curve
          Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

Thirty five pounds is a lot of weight to lose. I didn't lose a gram until the first week of The Withdrawals which was at 6 weeks.

I lost 4 kilos in that first week, down to 60 kilos. Back up to 63 now so I'm sure it'll all come back but that's ok, I'm 2 inches taller!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
              Jennifer,

I have lost a ton of weight from surgery..... The only itchiness I had was when I would take off my brace because the special tshirts were stretchy ribbed like material ....
              I'm looking forward to the 2 inches in height and my belly stretching upward instead of being compressed and blobbed on my left side. Losing a few lbs would be nice too.

I was going to ask about those drasted tanktops I remember from my teen brace years. I should look for some longer smooth spandex type ones. I did buy a knit sports bra recently that has no hooks in the back and some underwire cups for support. Hopefully it's comfortable after surgery. Getting nervous. 23 days to go.
              Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
              Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
              Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
              Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
              Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

jeans

Cimbon,

I've tried jeans on and they are pretty comfortable. I have a whole range of sizes though from my body building days and after having a baby days lol. So I had plenty to choose from. I did find though that @ 2months the jeans weren't as comfortable as they are now. At 2 months I was still a little sensitive @ the scars above my hips. Now though I have no sensitivity anywere and I am 3 months post op.

My project for this weekend with a little bit of help from my husband or teenage son is to clear out all the clothes that are to big. Since there will be no more babies, no sense in keeping them. I think I have figured out why I am continuing to loose weight. I am for the first time doing cardio pain free, even 3 months after surgery. I never would have thought that. Even though I was working out prior to surgery, it hurt all the time but I grinned and bared it. My body is starting to remember what it use to be like I think:O) I just can't wait to start lifting weights again. I know I have a LONG time before I can train like I use to but I'll get there in due time. I may decide never to train like I once did but I just love weight training even if it is not for competing! Anyways, I went off on a tangent there......sorry. Good luck with the jeans. Try different styles, you may find that one style works better than others.
                Susan

Comment

Sandy,

FYI: I had an impossible trying to pull on "jogging" or "exercise" bras. My body just did not want to cooperate. So, I bought camis with shelf bras, and one locally made compression cami. I bought that at a mastectomy shop which adjoined the orthoticist's shop (he made the TLSO). If you get a bra that hooks or velcros in the front it might work. Never tried that. Good luck!
                  Les
                  Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                  Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                  T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                  Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                  Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                  Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                  Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                  Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                  Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Sandy,

The tank tops really aren't that bad and they are more absorbent than than the stretchy material I think your speaking of....which I tried and found it more uncomfortable than the tanks. Just a little scratching for a minute or so and your done!

My stomach was VERY swollen right after the surgery. When they measured me for my brace 2 days after surgery I was so swollen that my brace looked pregnant. When they brought the brace in for me to try on 2 days later they had to add padding in the stomach because the swelling had gone down substantially but not completely.....that took a couple of weeks. My left side prior to surgery was rib bones grinding on hip bones. It was rather nasty. I finally noticed yesterday that I have almost 2 inches of space again!!!!! It was one of those things that my doctor couldn't promise would change...due to all the rib rotation that I had. but there has been enough improvement for me. I no longer have that grinding of bone on bone. I can't say that it hurt but it was always very uncomfortable.

As far as the bras, mine have been fine, not a problem there.....so far so good. I would think a sports bra more be more uncomfortable if they have a very snug fit like most of them do. Everyone is different though.

Try to stay focused on post surgery rather than leading up to it. I know that it consumes your every thought but It is so worth it. You may not think so when you wake up. As a matter of fact you may think what the heck did I get myself into but just remember....short term pain for long term gain. I had weeks post op that all I did was cry because I was just so over whelmed with the fact that I could do anything for myself.

But every week it gets better and better. Once you get to the point that I am at now, it will be hard for you to really remember those early weeks. There's so much my husband will talk about that I have no recollection of. It's all good in the end!
                    Susan

Comment

The sports bra I got is bigger around than what I normally wear so it's not snug at all and would be useless when jogging . It has no hooks in back which is why I got it (and it was only $3). And, yeah, I guess cotton tanks would be better with this summer heat.
                      Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
                      Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
                      Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
                      Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
                      Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
                      X