6 months post op/camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 months post op/camping

Hello everyone....well, I made it to 6 months post op...anniversary was the July 14th! Time really did go by fast...well, after the 1st 3 months it did anyway! Over the past 2 weeks, I've truly been feeling great! There were even a few hours, here and there, where I didnt think about my back! That was my goal, now it's to make it thru a whole day w/o thinking about it. That may be harder to do, but I will get there!

So, we go camping every year....just for the weekend. We usually go to the Jelly Stone in the Door County area of WI, but decided it probably wouldnt be the best thing for me this year, so we skipped it. However, this past Monday, a friend of ours invited us to go camping (4 hrs northwest of Milwaukee) this weekend. After some thought & knowing Ive been feeling good, we accepted their offer. We do the tent thing w/sleeping bags, etc, but this time Im borrowing a friends cot. Something tells me waking up in the middle of the night on a 1/2 deflated blow up bed, wouldnt feel real good! So...we leave today around noon. Im excited yet worried that I will have a crappy time. Not only that, but this whole week(Im off of work this week) it's been sunny & hot.....today & tomorrow....cold and rainy! ughhh! Maybe it's a sign! lol Just wanted to share this w/everyone. I will write when Im back to tell you how it went!! Hope everyone is doing well.......take care

Lynn
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Lynn, you are more of a woman than me! I absolutly love camping but I'm a big baby and haven't tried it yet. My husband and I have a trailer at Grand Lake here in Oklahoma with a boat and the whole nine yards. Last summer we only made it up there 2 times but I was only 4 weeks post op. It's a 4 hour drive. I wasn't released to ride in the boat yet so I was either stuck in the house (which isn't a hardship, I just wanted to have fun in the sun) or sitting on the dock. I was in my brace so I spent most of the time in the house watching TV. Couldn't read because I was still on quite a bit of meds and couldn't concentrate for very long. This summer we've been up there 3 times and I've ridden in the boat. The ride in the car is ok, but the getting ready to go, grocery shopping, packing, loading the car is a killer. The boat wasn't as much fun as I'd hoped due to the bouncing. Ouch! The best part was floating in the water. Felt so good!
    I hope you have a great time. Like I said, you're more of a woman than me so you'll do great. Let us know how it went.
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Comment

Lynn,

You know I love you right? But I have to say "BETTER YOU THAN ME" Even pre-surgery, I would never camp. I'm just too much of a snob. I always said, I camp at the Hilton. Vacations for me must involve the beach.

I hope your back does well with your camping. Who knows. Maybe your back will surprise you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My partner and I are very different in our ideas about what consitutes a holiday. He loves camping in the Outback, I like the beach in warm climes.

However, we compromise! Tomorrow he heads off on his mid-Winter camping holiday to the bush. I am staying home this time. The main reason is the cold, I can't stand it this year. And it will be very cold out there, with no means of heating. Standing in the cold air showering just doesn't appeal. Fortunately he understands.

But, a friend and I are planning a 16 day trip to Tioman Island in Malaysia in late August, woohoo! Now that's my idea of a holiday. Three days before we leave, I have my 5.5 month appt. with my surgeon and I have to get cleared to do a few things such as snorkelling, speed boat riding and, hopefully (though I think I'll get a NO) kayaking. Right now I'm facing vaccinations and I'm not ready for more needles.

Hope the weather behaves for you Lynne and that you enjoy every minute. Things like this take you out of yourself and do your head a lot of good, in my experience! Have a great time.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
          So, we go camping every year....just for the weekend. We usually go to the Jelly Stone in the Door County area of WI, but decided it probably wouldnt be the best thing for me this year, so we skipped it. However, this past Monday, a friend of ours invited us to go camping (4 hrs northwest of Milwaukee) this weekend. After some thought & knowing Ive been feeling good, we accepted their offer. We do the tent thing w/sleeping bags, etc, but this time Im borrowing a friends cot. Something tells me waking up in the middle of the night on a 1/2 deflated blow up bed, wouldnt feel real good! So...we leave today around noon. Im excited yet worried that I will have a crappy time.
          Hey, Lynn ...

I had surgery in Feb '08, and went to a bike rally (from TX to upstate NY) three months later - camping in a rustic area ...

You'll be fine. Ditch the sleeping bag/ground or cot idea. My suggestions are a good air mattress and pain meds (incase you need them). Chances are, you'll be stiff in the mornings, but I know I was at home - on a GOOD bed. It works it way out with activity ;-).

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

I survived!

Well, I made it & my back feels GREAT! It was just a little stiff in the morning for about 30 mins, but after I felt fine! The cot was a little hard, however, was not too bad. The weather was horrible though....Friday was in the mid 50's and misty rain, which turned in to low 40's w/heavy rain! Saturday was very cool w/no sun, but we made the best of it! Today of course, the day we have to leave it was mid 70's & sunny! Go figure! Either way, Im glad we went!! I even took a ride in a speed boat!

Debbe! LOL Cute! I dont mind camping...however the "bath rooms" were VERY DISGUSTING! Thinking about it now, makes me wanna throw up!! It smelled like the bird house at our zoo! Even w/the alcohol I drank,(which may have been too much..lol) I couldnt stand it! lol I like tropical places, beaches and hotels too...and given a choice, Id choose that anyday, but camping takes you away from the hussle and bussle of life! Im just glad Paul does all of the work! Its not fun setting up or taking down!

Thanks everyone who wished me luck & a good time!! Jennifer, enjoy your time away from your honey and Im soo jealous of your up coming trip!!
            Lynn -30.... something
            UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post

You'll be fine. Ditch the sleeping bag/ground or cot idea. My suggestions are a good air mattress and pain meds (incase you need them). Chances are, you'll be stiff in the mornings, but I know I was at home - on a GOOD bed. It works it way out with activity ;-).

Regards,
              Pam
              Pam....I left the meds at home....didnt think muscle relaxers & rum & coke were a good idea! lol Cot worked out great!! Im very glad I went!!!
              Lynn -30.... something
              UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

I went boating last summer after my surgery (we have a boat we sleep on) and I have to say I did not have much fun. I still was in a lot of pain and on a lot of meds so couldn't participate in the "aquaholic" parts of the weekend! This summer after a years recovery much more fun. My hubby does most of the work. I am off pain meds. And I even rode a waverunner which I was nervous about but it went very well!! I did not break. I am glad your camping adventure went well although a bit soggy. I know my back could not have handled a cot at 6 months! Yea you!
                Kristy
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
                  Pam....I left the meds at home....didnt think muscle relaxers & rum & coke were a good idea! lol Cot worked out great!! Im very glad I went!!!
                  I meant pain meds for the rum and coke hangover - . Glad you had a good time!
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

off to Madison....

Speaking of 6 months....I have my 6 month check today. I already know everything is going well....not to sound cocky! lol I just hate wasting 3 hours(total) in the car.....especially after the 4 1/2 hour drive we had yesterday from our camping trip. I will let you know how it went!!
                    Lynn -30.... something
                    UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Hope your news is all good Lynne!

Comment

everything is cool

As suspected, Im doing fine. Xrays look great & I dont have to go back til my one year anniversary! Yahoo! He told me all restrictions are lifted....I can even jump rope if I want! ha ha ha! Thats funny...I have not jumped rope in years! Dont know if Im ready for jumping yet tho....seems like it would shake everything up?! Besides, its kinda nice being babied for certain things....maybe I wont tell anyone for a while! lol
                        Lynn -30.... something
                        UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Excellent news, Lynne!

Comment

Lynn

I posted about "milking it" a while back. Its nice to have the attention and help from others, and I'm sure I had surgical candidates practicing "the moan" all over the world.

Lets all practice now, on the count of 3, moan............
                            Tomorrow, we will do the Ahhs........

That's good news
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                            X