PDA

View Full Version : Sore throat - do I need antibiotics?

JenniferG
07-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I've had a sore throat and a cold for about 2 weeks. The cold has gone and the sore throat eased up but overnight it has got much worse. After reading some posts about risks of infection travelling and getting into hardware, I am now concerned.

Should I be seeing my GP about this?

debbei
07-16-2009, 08:35 PM
I've had a sore throat and a cold for about 2 weeks. The cold has gone and the sore throat eased up but overnight it has got much worse. After reading some posts about risks of infection travelling and getting into hardware, I am now concerned.

Should I be seeing my GP about this?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a strep test. I think I would.

JenniferG
07-16-2009, 11:14 PM
My GP is away so I went to see her off-sider, an English doctor. His opinion is that antibiotics are required only in the event of infection entering through broken skin, into the bloodstream. He told me not to worry. I hope he knows what he's talking about. He looked at my fiery throat, listened to heart and lungs and pronounced me healthy...but infectious. So I won't be minding the grandkids tomorrow.

JenniferG
07-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks for your reply Debbei. The GP did not mention anything about a strep test. I sincerely hope he knows about these things. :eek:

Snoopy
07-17-2009, 05:55 AM
My GP is away so I went to see her off-sider, an English doctor. His opinion is that antibiotics are required only in the event of infection entering through broken skin, into the bloodstream. He told me not to worry. I hope he knows what he's talking about. He looked at my fiery throat, listened to heart and lungs and pronounced me healthy...but infectious. So I won't be minding the grandkids tomorrow.

I think he knows what he's talking about.;) My daughter's surgeon said she needed premedicated before dental appointments and such that could possibly cause bleeding. Glad you checked it out though.

Mary Lou

debbei
07-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks for your reply Debbei. The GP did not mention anything about a strep test. I sincerely hope he knows about these things. :eek:

Jen,

Viral throat infections--I totally agree with your Dr. If a bacterial strep infection isn't treated, it can cause other problems. Maybe he is convinced that yours is viral. I really don't know how he could tell without a strep test though. The ones they do here only take 10 minutes for the results. My daughter gets them all the time when she goes for sore throats.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

JenniferG
07-17-2009, 07:04 PM
My throat is much better today thanks Debbe.