PDA

View Full Version : Steel or Titanium... Cold??

johnsonbunch
07-16-2009, 03:05 PM
What's your take on steel rods versus titanium, and how does it feel in the winter with the cold? I'm still presurgery.

Pooka1
07-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I think it's just surgeon preference. Both have pros and cons as I understand it.

Also, "titanium" goes better with "ed" than does "steel." :)

skoshi314
07-16-2009, 03:27 PM
I have 14 titanium screws and 2 rods. This last winter was my first experience with the hardware in the cold. It may have been my imagination but it seemed that I was cold allllll winter and once I would get cold it took forever to warm up. Shivering was rather painful so I did everything I could to not get extremely cold. Like I said, it could have been my imagination but that was my experience.

Good luck!

loves to skate
07-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I have steel screws and rods and I was freezing as well this past winter, especially if I got into the car with leather seats before the car was warmed up. I would then not only be cold, but in pain as well for the rest of the day. Cloth seats are not as cold, so didn't bother me too much. I want to move South or spend my winters in the Caribbean or Hawaii.
Sally

JenniferG
07-16-2009, 05:30 PM
I have titanium and I too, have felt very cold this current Winter. I put it down to being in recovery, and perhaps all my energy is still going into healing inside.

jrnyc
07-16-2009, 05:45 PM
dear johnson bunch
i have not yet decided on surgery...but my surgeon said he thinks steel is stronger...i said i wanted titanium cause i heard it caused fewer problems (?) ...he said he didnt agree but would do whatever i wanted in terms of material for rods...he's great & IF i have surgery, it will be with him (dr lonner, nyc)
talk of being cold scares me off!...i have always been very cold alllllll winter & half of spring..specially cause in the northeast lately we go from winter to summer without spring, & this summer all we mostly have is chilly rain!!

best to you
jess

debbei
07-16-2009, 08:34 PM
I was always cold in the winter, but this past winter, which was my first fused, I could not tolerate cold at all. Mostly because if I was cold, I shivered, and if I shivered, it HURT! BTW, my hardware is stainless steel.

Snoopy
07-17-2009, 05:58 AM
I have steel screws and rods and I was freezing as well this past winter, especially if I got into the car with leather seats before the car was warmed up. I would then not only be cold, but in pain as well for the rest of the day. Cloth seats are not as cold, so didn't bother me too much. I want to move South or spend my winters in the Caribbean or Hawaii.
Sally

If you go to the Caribbean or Hawaii you have to take all of us along! :D

Mary Lou

debbei
07-17-2009, 06:51 AM

Mary Lou

Count me in!! :)

debbei
07-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Sally

Sally,

that's why I love my remote car starter and seat warmers!! :D Even before surgery, I always said if my butt is warm, all of me is warm.

PNUTTRO
07-17-2009, 08:46 AM
You're hardware stays at the same temperature as your core body temperature. If you are a person who is generally warm, then it won't be a problem.

Pooka1
07-17-2009, 08:50 AM
You're hardware stays at the same temperature as your core body temperature. If you are a person who is generally warm, then it won't be a problem.

I was waiting for someone to state this.

I think folks are extrapolating to their (unrelated) experience of touching metal and it feeling cold.

I think even if the rods were very close to the skin, it is impossible for them to reach a lower temp than that of the body.

johnsonbunch
07-17-2009, 09:18 AM
I live in Florida currently, so cold winters now is not an issue. But we have a lake house in NE Tennessee that we want to relocate to to escape these 100 degree muggy summers we're having now. The thought of being in a turtle brace in this heat makes me sweat! It's not as cold in Tennessee as in the great white north some of you guys are in, and I do have heaters in my leather seats (never use them in Florida).

My husband thinks titanium would be less of a cold conductor than stainless steel, but my surgeon also says the steel is stronger and that the hardware does not make you cold. It makes sense that it would remain the same temperature as your internal body temp since it's inside, but then again it's not that far under the skin or covered with any fat. My cousin in Maine complains about a steel plate in his leg freezing in winters, so I thought I'd ask from you guys that have experienced it.

Pooka1
07-17-2009, 09:29 AM
My cousin in Maine complains about a steel plate in his leg freezing in winters, so I thought I'd ask from you guys that have experienced it.

How did he determine the plate froze?

Isn't the real explanation likely to be his brain incorrectly interpreting the feelings in his leg as cold sensation? Brain science is in its infancy but we do know these types of things occur.

It is not possible for the plate to be other than body temperature. If anyone has any evidence showing this is not true then I'd like to see it.

johnsonbunch
07-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Not actual freezing, but the sensation. And I'm sure much of what we feel is psychological. But never having experienced it myself, I had to ask.

skoshi314
07-17-2009, 10:24 AM
This past winter was my first experience with cold weather since my fusion. It's very likely the hardware itself wasn't getting cold. I was having issues maintaining my normal body temp anyway, going from burning hot to freezing instantly, so it was probably that. When you add the shivering factor making my back hurt it's probably just the sensation the hardware is cold. Either way, I don't like shivering!

loris
07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
I have 14 titanium screws and 2 rods. This last winter was my first experience with the hardware in the cold. It may have been my imagination but it seemed that I was cold allllll winter and once I would get cold it took forever to warm up. Shivering was rather painful so I did everything I could to not get extremely cold. Like I said, it could have been my imagination but that was my experience.

Good luck!

OMG I had not even thought about the hardware making you cold. I am having my surgery on November 11. Just before we start getting cold around here.

mgs
07-17-2009, 01:13 PM
I live in Wisconsin. . .there are weeks in the winter where the "high" is a little above zero. I thought I was cold before. . .I guess I'm going to find out what "cold" REALLY means!! :)

loves to skate
07-17-2009, 02:38 PM

Mary Lou

Lets go, we'll have a big party! Sally

loves to skate
07-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Sally,

that's why I love my remote car starter and seat warmers!! :D Even before surgery, I always said if my butt is warm, all of me is warm.

If I can't go to the Caribbean or Hawaii, I want one of those remote car starters. We have the seat warmers which are great if the seat is warmed up first. Sally

emwonderfull
07-17-2009, 10:37 PM
The rods are right under the skin between the skin and bone. It does get colder than your core body temp, just like your fingers and toes. I did have trouble during the winter, but this summer I have had a really weird sensation. Where I work they keep it really cold, I keep a blanket for really cold days. The outside temp has been over 100 the last week or so; when I first walk out side it takes a minute or so for the metal to adjust so it is like a brief thawing. Not painful, just a kindof creepy feeling.

LindaRacine
07-18-2009, 12:43 AM
The rods are right under the skin between the skin and bone. It does get colder than your core body temp, just like your fingers and toes. I did have trouble during the winter, but this summer I have had a really weird sensation. Where I work they keep it really cold, I keep a blanket for really cold days. The outside temp has been over 100 the last week or so; when I first walk out side it takes a minute or so for the metal to adjust so it is like a brief thawing. Not painful, just a kindof creepy feeling.

Actually, there are layers of muscle and fat.

I have stainless steel rods, and as far as I can tell, they've never gotten cold.

Susie*Bee
07-18-2009, 07:35 AM
I have steel too... and perhaps it is just my imagination, but it does seem like I get a little colder than I did before... it's more of a tightness/discomfort feeling when it's really cold, through my back. Linda-- are you basing your opinion on bay area temps? Here in Indiana I have recess duty every school day and during the winter, unless the temps are below 15, we go out... even bundled up pretty well most of us adults wouldn't opt for 30 minutes outside. I feel it the most through my back/spine area and it takes a good hour or so to "thaw" after coming back inside. It's not terrible-- just a little uncomfortable.

debbei
07-18-2009, 07:41 AM
I have steel too... and perhaps it is just my imagination, but it does seem like I get a little colder than I did before... it's more of a tightness/discomfort feeling when it's really cold, through my back. Linda-- are you basing your opinion on bay area temps? Here in Indiana I have recess duty every school day and during the winter, unless the temps are below 15, we go out... even bundled up pretty well most of us adults wouldn't opt for 30 minutes outside. I feel it the most through my back/spine area and it takes a good hour or so to "thaw" after coming back inside. It's not terrible-- just a little uncomfortable.

Wow Susie, I really feel for you. No way would I want to stand outside for 30 minutes at 16 degrees, even prior to surgery, YIKES! What a difference between our schools. Here, my daughter's school doesn't go out if it's less that 28 degrees.

Susie*Bee
07-18-2009, 08:02 AM
28 sounds nice and balmy... ha ha. Or at least nicer... I think most of the schools around here do similar-- something about letting the kids get out in the fresh air, etc. :rolleyes: Our recess temp is decided by the principal and having worked under 4 different ones, it has been either 15 or 20 as the cut off. Windchill is taken into account, thankfully. ;)

thinkinmom
07-18-2009, 09:47 AM
How did he determine the plate froze?

Isn't the real explanation likely to be his brain incorrectly interpreting the feelings in his leg as cold sensation? Brain science is in its infancy but we do know these types of things occur.

It is not possible for the plate to be other than body temperature. If anyone has any evidence showing this is not true then I'd like to see it.

Pooka1... Whether the cold sensation is physical or psychological, it is REAL. It is unfair of you to judge another person's experience.

There ARE many studies about amputee's having "phantom pain." And while their nerves are no longer there, the pain is still perceived as real.

If you have not walked in those shoes, please don't speak in a condescending way to those who have.

asccbodypro
07-18-2009, 01:45 PM
I have titanium and have gone in the pool a few times this summer. The pool is not as warm as past summers and it's hard for me to stay in long and it does take a while for me to warm up. It will be interesting to see how the winter goes. My boys place hockey.....lots of hockey. So most of my spare time is spent in an ice cold rink! Maybe I wll try those heat wraps and see if that helps. But I alwyas bundle up well and bring blankets! Keep you posted:O)

rainbow2010
07-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Steel rods cause distortion on MRIs. Titanium does not. Go with titanium!!

Doodles
07-18-2009, 06:34 PM
I have steel and I'm freezing! I always wear a fleece or hooded sweatshirt. My husband was gone a couple days and I basked in 80 degrees with no air and felt wonderful. He thinks I'm crazy! Janet

Pooka1
07-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Pooka1... Whether the cold sensation is physical or psychological, it is REAL.

???

I never said nor implied it wasn't real.

I was pointing out the much more likely explanation given what is known about brain science and what is known about material science and physiology. I acknowledged he perceived a cold sensation.

It's all brain science. The rest is commentary.

loves to skate
07-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Actually, there are layers of muscle and fat.

I have stainless steel rods, and as far as I can tell, they've never gotten cold.
Hey Linda, Speak for yourself about the fat.:) Sorry, I added the bold lettering to your quote. My fat is all in the abdomen.:eek: I know there is muscle over my sacrum, but very little fat back there. When I sit on that cold leather seat, I really feel it. Yeah, how cold does it get in the Bay Area in the winter. I've only been there in the summertime.
Sally

Lorraine 1966
07-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Where I live it is winter and we have a cold frost (ice) over the ground and our temperatures are below freezing in the mornings but we do have sunny days anyway what I am getting to is, I have never ever thought of my rods getting cold, never felt them cold, now that I know other people are suffering with that, I can guarantee that after 43 years I will all of a sudden have cold Harrington rods!

Lorraine.

txmarinemom
07-19-2009, 08:20 PM
What's your take on steel rods versus titanium, and how does it feel in the winter with the cold? I'm still presurgery.

I have a combination of Vitallium/titanium in my back, 316SS in my ankle and had 316SS in my knee for years (before it was removed). I didn't/don't notice one bit of difference in any of the hardware materials.

Of course, I live in Houston. And, of course, it's too cold for my tastes here! ;-)

Pam

txmarinemom
07-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Steel rods cause distortion on MRIs. Titanium does not. Go with titanium!!

There are other metallurgical options besides Ti (Titanium) and stainless (316 SS or 316L SS).

Vitallium (I have the 6mm Stryker III XIA system) is durable, MRI-able and has taken everything I've thrown at it ... including 3 moves (the one this weekend was upstairs ... UGH) and slapping the ground playing softball.

Do your research. Your hardware stays body temp ... the concept of cold rods is a falacy.

I just noticed most describing a "sensation" are fairly new pre-ops ... give it some time. I felt a LOT of weird things in the beginning that turned out to be psychosomatic ...

Pam

titaniumed
07-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Hi Johnsonbunch,

Lots of people complain that they feel colder after they have their hardware installed. It most likely has nothing to do with the material selection, which will be determined by your surgeon. Titanium has a higher corrosion resistance than any stainless steel, and is of value in implants because of this. A lower chance for infection would probably be its most important attribute.

Having a steel plate located in ones leg would probably feel cold in the winter. I know when I take my ski boots off after skiing, my toes feel like they are about 40 degreesF. Chances are that the temps "down there" are running a bit cooler, but this wouldn't have anything to do with material selection or thermal conductivity.

After surgery, it takes a lot of energy to heal, and that makes you feel cold.
Today, it was very hot and I thought my rods were going to melt. Whew! LOL
Good luck with your future surgery.

Sharon,

Using "Stainlessed" would be a good name.... but then again, the name I have for my rv is "magic bus" LOL

In reading here, Simon is the first one who is having problems with his nipples.... always something new.....

Pam

I totally agree with you on things being "psychosomatic" after surgery. Its funny, Lynn mentioned something about "thinking" about your scoilosis, and I noticed and thought about that this weekend. When you are doing things and your mind isn't consumed with pain, your fine until you stop and rethink about your pain...... Its like damn, why did I have to think about it.

I ignored my pain as much as I could through all the years leading up to surgery, now I don't have to put an effort to ignore it and its nice. Its not 100% yet but real close. It takes time to reprogram and heal. I had some very minor tightness after carrying logs for the campfire.
Ed

If I don't post for a while, chances are, I'm in the mountains where air card coverage is quite limited. One of these days I will break down and buy a dish.

tonibunny
07-20-2009, 03:29 AM
Could there be a difference between rods that are placed in the anterior of the spine (and are therefore nearer to the body's core) and rods that are places at the posterior?

I have had a steel Harrington Rod for 23 years. I'm very thin and my Harrington lies directly under the skin over the posterior of my spine, so I guess it could be affected by temperature especially if I sit against a cold seat. I have often felt that the rod "gets cold", although I believe this sensation is more likely due to the fact that my back muscles tense when I am cold and this pulls on internal scar tissue and makes me a lot more uncomfortable.

I also have anterior instrumentation that lies alongside the side of my lumbar vertebral bodies, but I never get the same "cold" sensation with that.

It's an interesting theory, and I'm intrigued that others have felt the same sort of thing!

lapieper
07-20-2009, 07:45 AM
OK. It only makes sense to me if the rods conduct cold they would also conduct heat. How come no one's complaining of feeling hot. It was 106 in Boise Saturday, but I was out of town, in a cooler mountainous area. But it will be in the 100s this week, should I worry?!?

Seriously, I don't feel the cool in my rods, and my body temp is usually at 97, rather than the "normal" 98.6. Of course, I do have some good insulation I am trying to lose...

Lesley

titaniumed
07-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Tonibunny

Good question. The only way to know, is to measure the temps. Its probable that 1 or 2 degrees would create the chill we feel.
Here is a site on thermal imaging. I found it very interesting how SURFACE temperatures reveals so much

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thermoguy.com/images/spinal1_digital.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thermoguy.com/medical.html&usg=__0yZhUZUxxIeJ6rexYGNnbhpG_TQ=&h=332&w=440&sz=228&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=aVG3AmoATcj4mM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthermal%2Bimaging%2Bspine%26hl%3Den%2 6um%3D1

Lesley

I wouldn't worry too much, Titanium melts at 3135 degrees F. You might have a problem in Arizona. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_human_body_temperature

Core temps maintain within a few degrees. About 2.5 degrees total normal fluctuation. Hypothermia symptoms start at approx 2 degree drop in core temps. Doesn't sound like much.

Q.You know how to tell the difference between a regular thermometer and a rectal thermometer?
A. Taste

Ed

Vali
07-21-2009, 03:16 AM
i have titanium rods and screws. For some reason, after the surgery, I asked my husband to dig out my thermal singlets to wear under my pjs.I bought these for our European winter holiday (2007) and have not worn them since!
Maybe a coincidence or just recovery pangs of cold!

johnsonbunch
08-05-2009, 08:56 AM
From what my surgeon explained, titanium is more corrosion resistant than stainless steel, but it cannot be repeatably bent like steel without risk of breaking.

Scientific explanation of thermal conductivity:
The ability of a metal to conduct or transfer heat is called its thermal conductivity. Thus, a material, to be a good insulator, would have a low thermal conductivity, whereas a radiator would have a high rate of conductivity to dissipate the heat.

The thermal conductivity of titanium is roughly 50% higher than 316 stainless steel.

Titanium thermal conductivity: 22 Wm-1K-1
Stainless Steel thermal conductivity: 13 Wm-1K-1

Titanium has a high melting point of 3135F, approximately 400F above the melting point of steel.

And in response to the lightning rod thread:
Titanium is not a good conductor of electricity. If the conductivity of copper is considered to be 100%, titanium would have a conductivity of 3.1%. From this it follows that titanium would not be used where good conductivity is a prime factor. For comparison, stainless steel has a conductivity of 3.5% and aluminum has a conductivity of 30%.

Suzy
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Q.You know how to tell the difference between a regular thermometer and a rectal thermometer?
A. Taste

Ed

GROSS ED!

As for cold going through your rods.......I was at my 1st PT appt. with my new guy and he wanted to ice me down after my workout. Well he put the ice packs on my back, right where my rods were and within a couple of Minutes my teeth were chattering! He moved them to the sides of my rods, not directly on them and it was MUCH better.

I have a combination of Titanium and steel.

Fused T10-L4

debbei
08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
GROSS ED!

As for cold going through your rods.......I was at my 1st PT appt. with my new guy and he wanted to ice me down after my workout. Well he put the ice packs on my back, right where my rods were and within a couple of Minutes my teeth were chattering! He moved them to the sides of my rods, not directly on them and it was MUCH better.

I have a combination of Titanium and steel.

Fused T10-L4

Ed prides himself on his quick-witted (and sometimes gross) humor; you never know what he will come up with next. :D

The cold packs don't bother me. My PT has put those flexible ice packs on my back when I'm having spasms, but only after she's had heat on me, and then massaged me a little. When I tried the cold packs at home without the heat first, it gave me a total opposite effect. I seemed to spasm up even more.

asccbodypro
08-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Ed,
Great sense of humor however, that's just a little nasty! lol! How bout' something a little bit cleaner and more tasty??

asccbodypro
08-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Sandy,

That was a lot of scientific info...impressive but I'm so not scientific. However I understood the last part......titanium, not so good for attracking lightening. Good to know!

Pooka1
08-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Scientific explanation of thermal conductivity:
The ability of a metal to conduct or transfer heat is called its thermal conductivity. Thus, a material, to be a good insulator, would have a low thermal conductivity, whereas a radiator would have a high rate of conductivity to dissipate the heat.

The thermal conductivity of titanium is roughly 50% higher than 316 stainless steel.

Titanium thermal conductivity: 22 Wm-1K-1
Stainless Steel thermal conductivity: 13 Wm-1K-1

For heat to be conducted, you need a gradient.

If the rods are the same temp as the body (as they are) there is no gradient and therefore no thermal conductance happening.

Thus the thermal conductivity constants for each material don't really matter in this application.

Ti Ed will correct me if I'm wrong.

Singer
08-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Ever since my surgery, I detest getting cold. I am definitely more sensitive to the cold than I used to be, and my back feels 100 percent better in the summer.

My theory is that when I get cold and shivery, I tense up, using muscles along the fusion that are usually just hanging out being dormant most of the time. So I think my new sensitivity to cold is mental -- I anticipate being uncomfortable when the temperature drops, then I tense up, then I have muscle pain.

At any rate, I am DEFINTELY moving south in my senior years....or sooner!!

debbei
08-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Ever since my surgery, I detest getting cold. I am definitely more sensitive to the cold than I used to be, and my back feels 100 percent better in the summer.

My theory is that when I get cold and shivery, I tense up, using muscles along the fusion that are usually just hanging out being dormant most of the time. So I think my new sensitivity to cold is mental -- I anticipate being uncomfortable when the temperature drops, then I tense up, then I have muscle pain.

At any rate, I am DEFINTELY moving south in my senior years....or sooner!!

YES YES YES Chris--that's my theory too. Shivering definitely gets me all spasmed upl ICK!

Kayde
08-18-2011, 08:52 AM
I see that you had Dr. Moreno do your surgery. I don't see what you ended up getting- steel or titanium. I have another appt to see Dr. Moreno next month. I had some bone denisty issues last year that I have overcome and am waiting to see if he will do the surgery. he seems to be the best in our area and from what I have seen one of the front runners in the operation in adults. Any advice?

leannebr
09-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I have both stainless steel and titanium in my implant. Heat seems to bother me more than cold.

LindaRacine
09-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I have both stainless steel and titanium in my implant. Heat seems to bother me more than cold.

Leanne...

Titanium and SS implants are not supposed to be used together. Do they actually touch? (such as ss rods and titanium screws?)

sheri66
09-05-2011, 10:25 PM
It has been two years since my surgery and I have steel rods and screws.I live in Bakersfield,Ca and I just love the warm summers but cant take the cold.Any temperature below 75 degree's I cant handle.Once I am cold I stay cold not fun.Maybe its because I am thin and I can feel were my screws are.

jrnyc
09-06-2011, 12:06 AM
hey sherri
i am considering surgery...
i am very thin right now...pain meds kill my appetite...i weigh 91, up from 87 pounds last
year...i have small bones and am 5'3+ inches, down from 5'5"...

question....you said you can feel where the metal is....
are any screws poking thru? do you expect to have hardware removed for that reason?
i've been told by several surgeons that i may need hardware removal a year after
surgery due to my size...
i have little to no fat on my body...am wondering if i would feel cold more
after surgery...i HATE the cold! my fingers and toes are always colder than the rest of
my body in the winter!

thanks for any answers...

jess

erinwarren1
09-07-2011, 04:58 PM
My fusion with stainless steel harrington rods was done in December 1990 in Cleveland. At the time, I was 17 and very thin with NO back fat. I was EXTREMELY cold that winter. My back felt like it was frozen. I moved to Florida the following summer so I didn't have to deal with cold winters anymore. However, I have visited frozen places in recent years (after gaining at least 20 pounds since surgery) and have no problems with my rods/back being unusually cold. Much to my dismay, I also have back fat now though. So, if you are very thin and your rods are not well covered, I think it's entirely possible you would get colder from them. I don't believe the thin layer of skin that covers them is enough to keep them as warm as the rest of your core but that's just my opinion. My fat is definitely doing the job now though.

Also, I would recommend titanium for the reason that you will probably want/need an MRI in the future and steel rods don't work well in that situation.

Erin

leannebr
09-10-2011, 09:32 PM
MRIs caused alot of pain for me. I went to the ER after my MRI's in May. Is this because of the stainless steel ?

sheri66
09-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Jess,yes I can feel the screws.The side screw on my left side bothers me the most.To be honest I would not get it removed because I dont want anymore surgeries.I am not as small as you.Im 5'5 and weigh 118 but my back is boney.I was cold blooded before my surgery just worse now cant handle cold weather.

Elisa
09-20-2011, 12:45 PM
My son who is now 5 months post-op has Chromium-Magnesium-Molybdenum rods but not sure what kind of screws he has. I'll have to ask Dr. K at our appointment in October. It will be interesting to see if he feels the cold more this year than past years. Generally we don't get very much cold weather here, mostly just lots and lots of rain. I do think some people are naturally warmer than others b/c my sister is always cold and wears sweaters and socks whereas I go year round wearing tank tops and am barefoot (inside in winter) and at work I change from my rubber boots to flip flops b/c I get so warm when I wear shoes of any kind. My husband and older son dress in layers around the house and seem comfortable and just looking at them all bundled up makes me sweat. My daughter tends to bundle up too with lots of layers but Elias is like me and strips down to the bare necessities when he gets home and finds clothing cumbersome. I wonder if we have a more active thyroid? I know my sister is on medication for low thyroid.