Heading towards surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading towards surgery

Wow, am I glad to have found all of you here. I have been reading here for a few weeks but only recently joined.

My scoliosis was originally diagnosed when I was 11 years old back in 1966. I wore a Milwaukee brace for the about 4 years. I was miserable. Supposedly, my "S" curve was stablized at roughly 30 degrees. I don't think I had it checked in over 35 years.

Jumping ahead, now I am 54 years old and I can't even describe the amount of pain I am in. I have lead a fairly active life most of my life, and to find myself so "debilitated" is very depressing. Up until about 4 weeks ago, I was still working out at the gym regularly at least 3 times a week (the work outs seemed to hold off the pain a bit even though I found myself taking it easier and easier). Now none. I can barely walk from 1 end of my house to the other without total exhaustion. My deterioration has come on so strongly and so quickly, that I am totally freaked out.

This latest chapter started roughly a year ago when I felt I "tweaked" something in the middle of a work-out. With no relief after the first week of pain, I went to my see my doctor (internist). After much arguing with him (whom I never want to see again), he finally gave me a referral to the rhuematologist, who gave me a referral to pain management, and then to the neurosurgeon, who finally passed me off to where I wanted to go in the first place, the orthopedic surgeon. He confirmed my lumbar curve is 53 degrees and my thorasic is 38 degree. He used terms like "collapsed" on itself and "deformities" and I thought I was going to vomit right then and there. He also said that based upon my "flexibility" (bending x-rays) that he would consider only doing a partial fusion of the lumbar curve. Then he gave me a couple of names of doctors, outside of my insurance, to get 2nd opinions from. I jumped on that and within 2 weeks, I had another opinion from Cedar Sinai in Los Angeles. (I am insured through Kaiser in Southern California).

This is where my immediate problem comes from. The Cedar Sinai doctor assured me that if I don't do the surgery now, I will definitely need to have it done at some point in my life. I'm in agreement with him in that it's better to do it now rather than later. He also recommended the fusion go from T10 - S1. Ok, not thrilled, but that would straighten/stabilize the large curve and treat the areas where most of my pain is. When I discussed this with my surgeon at Kaiser, he feels he'd rather fuse from T4 or 5 - S1.

I am having a hard time accepting the T4 location versus starting a little lower and doing less by starting at T10. The worst part of it is, the Kaiser surgeon says it's up to me. He'll go to T10 if that's what I want.

Please help me...I don't know what to want. Why does he have to leave it up to me? I just want my life back. I just want to be normal! I just want to be able to walk through the market, stand to cook dinner for the family, and regain my independence. I am so afraid of loss of motion, but I sure don't want to make a mistake and end up back in the operating room next year.

I know I must sound like a baby, and I apologize for that. I'm just so scared. Any advice, information, or prayers are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for being here!

valleygirl
    ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
    Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
    Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
    Now curve is T38*, L53*
    Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

heading towards surgery

dear valleygirl
    i have 2 curves...the upper is 40 degrees, lower 60....IF we go thru w/surgery, we will only address the lower curve...the upper curve is helped w/botox shots to freeze the muscles...the lower (lumbar) causes far more pain....& has lateral listhesis L3onL4 & L2onL3 they say on need pelvic fixation due to herniated discs & degenerative disc disease as well as spinal stenosis....but it is the fixation stuff that scares me, not the rods...so L4fused to sacrum anterior & T11-S1 fused posterior "w/bilateral pelvic fixation"is terrifying to me ......but then i wonder, by leaving out the top curve, will that present problems further down the line....years later, maybe...?
    have you been to many doctors for other opinions? i have seen 1, have 2 more appts in august w/various doctors...

wishing you best of luck
    jess

Comment

As someone who's fused T4-pelvis, I can honestly say, life goes on! Sure I've lost some flexibility but there's not a lot I can't do, I'll hopefully never need further surgery and most importantly, I have no pain.

I was scared too, but it's worked out just fine. I'm just grateful to be fixed!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

new to site

Valleygirl,

Your story sounds so similar to mine only I'm 37. I wore the Boston brace as a young teen and had no problems up unitl 5 years ago. I was getting ready for a bodybuilding competition and "tweaked" something and it went downhill from there. I had a baby last year in february and it wasn't until then that I realized all the trouble was from my curve progressing.

I had a 50 degree curve and my spine was shifted to left by 5 centimeters and all most all of my vertebre were rotated. Also my head in crooked as well. I herniated L5 thru L1. I understand how frustrating it is when you are active and then one day you just have to stop. The pain for me was debilitating!

I had my surgery 3 months ago and they fused from L5-T5. Originally the doc was only going to fuse from L5-T12 but my bending xrays didn't look good at all and he felt that I would tilt to the right if they didn't fuse up high enough. I had a successful surgery but I have just recently had a minot set back. I twisted or turned the wrong way. I go in Thrursday for xrays just to make sure nothing serious is going on. I just need to take it easy I think. We will soon find out! I can honestly say though as frustrating as it is for me not to be taking care of the baby and having my 2 older boys do so much and my husband and mother in law it was worth it. My spine is pretty darn straight now! I also gained 2 inches in height, which was very nice:O)

You should definitely do your surgery as soon as you can because it only gets more difficult as you get older. Plus, if you have been active that will definitely help you through you recovery. One thing I can tell you is once they fuse to T12 fusing higher won't make you loose much more mobility/flexibility since most of your bending comes from T12. I was very flexible going into surgery and honestly don't feel "fused" which is why I probably twisted wrong at some point and didn't feel it. Good luck with your decision and finding the right doc!
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

It's so nice to see others facing the decision process and realize none of us know what is best for someone else. I can only tell you about how mine went. When I first saw the orthopedic surgeon and he recommended surgery, I walked out saying, "Surgery is not an option." After all, I had a life! When I got home and told my husband what Dr Floyd said, he said , "Make another appointment and I'll go with you." I knew then I was in trouble! I have no idea what my original scoliosis curves were, being diagnosed at age 17. I was told then don't worry and surgery was not necessary. So however much the curves increased and no matter how much my muscles spasmed, I didn't complain. There was nothing to be done.

I went to the orthopedic surgeon because I kept getting cortison injections in my SI joint because of the "catching." I finally insisted that instead of treating the symptom, I wanted to treat the cause. Hence, Dr. Floyd.

I only know he said the longer I wait the harder the surgery would be and the more debilitated I would become. The facet on one side of the vertebra was "catching" on the opposite facet beneath it. He said there was a strong possibility of it breaking, requiring emergency surgery, and who knows what kind of permanent damage that could result it.

I said, "Let's do it." And I haven't looked back. Even though I'm still recovering from the now third surgery, repairing a fracture at T3 (Mar 09) where a big screw prevented fusion, I feel GREAT!

This surgery has removed that "catch" and I am no longer in fear of what else could possibly go wrong! I'm "older" and it takes longe rto heal, but I am newly retired and didn't have anything else planned!

Think positive. I try to live as my Daddy once suggested, "Live your life with no regrets." I hope I can live up to those words of wisdom.

Hugs,
          Les
          Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
          Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
          T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
          Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
          Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
          Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
          Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
          Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
          Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Originally posted by valleygirl View Post
            Wow, am I glad to have found all of you here. I have been reading here for a few weeks but only recently joined.

My scoliosis was originally diagnosed when I was 11 years old back in 1966. I wore a Milwaukee brace for the about 4 years. I was miserable. Supposedly, my "S" curve was stablized at roughly 30 degrees. I don't think I had it checked in over 35 years.

Jumping ahead, now I am 54 years old and I can't even describe the amount of pain I am in. I have lead a fairly active life most of my life, and to find myself so "debilitated" is very depressing. Up until about 4 weeks ago, I was still working out at the gym regularly at least 3 times a week (the work outs seemed to hold off the pain a bit even though I found myself taking it easier and easier). Now none. I can barely walk from 1 end of my house to the other without total exhaustion. My deterioration has come on so strongly and so quickly, that I am totally freaked out.

This latest chapter started roughly a year ago when I felt I "tweaked" something in the middle of a work-out. With no relief after the first week of pain, I went to my see my doctor (internist). After much arguing with him (whom I never want to see again), he finally gave me a referral to the rhuematologist, who gave me a referral to pain management, and then to the neurosurgeon, who finally passed me off to where I wanted to go in the first place, the orthopedic surgeon. He confirmed my lumbar curve is 53 degrees and my thorasic is 38 degree. He used terms like "collapsed" on itself and "deformities" and I thought I was going to vomit right then and there. He also said that based upon my "flexibility" (bending x-rays) that he would consider only doing a partial fusion of the lumbar curve. Then he gave me a couple of names of doctors, outside of my insurance, to get 2nd opinions from. I jumped on that and within 2 weeks, I had another opinion from Cedar Sinai in Los Angeles. (I am insured through Kaiser in Southern California).

This is where my immediate problem comes from. The Cedar Sinai doctor assured me that if I don't do the surgery now, I will definitely need to have it done at some point in my life. I'm in agreement with him in that it's better to do it now rather than later. He also recommended the fusion go from T10 - S1. Ok, not thrilled, but that would straighten/stabilize the large curve and treat the areas where most of my pain is. When I discussed this with my surgeon at Kaiser, he feels he'd rather fuse from T4 or 5 - S1.

I am having a hard time accepting the T4 location versus starting a little lower and doing less by starting at T10. The worst part of it is, the Kaiser surgeon says it's up to me. He'll go to T10 if that's what I want.

Please help me...I don't know what to want. Why does he have to leave it up to me? I just want my life back. I just want to be normal! I just want to be able to walk through the market, stand to cook dinner for the family, and regain my independence. I am so afraid of loss of motion, but I sure don't want to make a mistake and end up back in the operating room next year.

I know I must sound like a baby, and I apologize for that. I'm just so scared. Any advice, information, or prayers are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for being here!

valleygirl
            Hi Valleygirl....

I'm a little confused. It sounds like the Kaiser doctor originally wanted to do a selective lumbar fusion, but now wants to go from T4??

You might want to ask the Kaiser doc what the potential downside would be to starting the fusion at T10. My understanding is that, whenever possible, they want the top and bottom of the fusion to be level. If he starts the fusion at T10, it may not be level enough for him to be comfortable that you won't need additional surgery.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

fusion

dear valley girl
              did the doctor say anything about the reasons for each choice? my doctor wants to skip the top curve cause it doesnt cause me much pain, & pain is handled w/botox...the bottom curve is very painful & makes me feel weak & makes walking difficult..did your dr say what the consequences might be from fusing less...if there are any....can you see other drs for other opinions? will any dr make a firm recommendation? my father used to have kaiser, so i know how that can be!

best of luck to you
              jess

Comment

Hi valleygirl

My dd's primary curve was lumbar but there was never any question that they would fuse both curves because they were both structural.

I asked and was told that fusing just lumbar vs. both curves wouldn't make much difference as far as flexibility because you're already losing most of it by fusing into the lumbar area.

I would think of the advantages vs disadvantages of a shorter fusion.

Advantages might include: less surgery time, less blood loss, possibly quicker recovery

Disadvantages: possibility of imbalance, possibility of future surgery to extend fusion, continued pain in thoracic area

Your surgeon can help you with some of these questions so you can make an informed decision. I took a long list of questions to 4 different surgeons which was very helpful (also confusing at times) but I was able to get a good consensus on many of the questions.

Best wishes,

Comment

choices

Les,

You are so right.....Live life with no regrets. It's a very hard decision to make and I think those of us who have had our surgery and are either recovering or recovered already there are so many factors that go into making it.

To look back someday and think gee if only I had done the surgery I could have accomplished "whatever"..........is definitely no way to go through life. Do all you can to live life at it's fullest even though it may not be a quick easy fix. In the end surgery, I believe, is truly the best in the end if one is suffering from debilitating pain.

I say this right now even going through a current setback and frustration at a high point! Even though I am restricted for some time I do not regret having this done. I know in time I will be a productive member of my family again but it takes patience and perserverance to keep reminding yourself of that! When the time is right you will know what to do! You have to be a strong person to do this and when you can look back and say that you did it.....man what an accomplishment!

My next goal is to get glasses so I can see what I'm typing and make sure I am spelling right lol! Or maybe it's just the meds lol!
                  Susan

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I hope you can bear with me as I try to sort through this all.

Most, if not all, of my pain is in my lower back (and legs). I don't believe I have any pain from my upper curve at all. At least I don't now....

When I first went to Kaiser, the doctor left me with the choice of correcting the whole spine (T4 - S1) or just addressing the "collapsed" vertebrae - roughly L2 - L4 or 5. That's when I figured I absolutely would get at least 1 more opinion if not more. When I went to the Cedar Sinai doctor, he suggested fusing the bottom curve only and stopping at T10. He dictated a note of his opinion and had it sent to Kaiser. (I didn't get my copy of it, until the day of my 2nd appointment at Kaiser). This only seemed to confirm to the Kaiser doc to go all the way to T4. He did say, that once going up to T10, you may as well finish the job and go to T4 as there was no more mobility to be gained by stopping at T10. (Did I make this clear as mud? )

It is my understanding that I have a lot of damage going on at the L5, L4, & L3 levels. I have osteophytes, disk degeneration and at least 1 crushed nerve - probably more!
                    "have you been to many doctors for other opinions? i have seen 1, have 2 more appts in august w/various doctors..."

I have seen 2 different doctors so far. Will most likely have surgery at Kaiser, but I just want to make sure (as best I can) that I have the right surgery.
                    "You should definitely do your surgery as soon as you can because it only gets more difficult as you get older. Plus, if you have been active that will definitely help you through you recovery. One thing I can tell you is once they fuse to T12 fusing higher won't make you loose much more mobility/flexibility since most of your bending comes from T12."

I do plan to do the surgery asap. I'm just waiting to get an actual date from Kaiser. My doctor basically agrees with you, once they fuse above the waist, going up into the rib cage area doesn't have a lot of movement anyway.
                    "Live your life with no regrets."

Great advice. I love it!
                    "You might want to ask the Kaiser doc what the potential downside would be to starting the fusion at T10. My understanding is that, whenever possible, they want the top and bottom of the fusion to be level. If he starts the fusion at T10, it may not be level enough for him to be comfortable that you won't need additional surgery."

"did the doctor say anything about the reasons for each choice? my doctor wants to skip the top curve cause it doesnt cause me much pain, & pain is handled w/botox...the bottom curve is very painful & makes me feel weak & makes walking difficult..did your dr say what the consequences might be from fusing less...if there are any....can you see other drs for other opinions? will any dr make a firm recommendation? my father used to have kaiser, so i know how that can be!"

"I would think of the advantages vs disadvantages of a shorter fusion.

Advantages might include: less surgery time, less blood loss, possibly quicker recovery

Disadvantages: possibility of imbalance, possibility of future surgery to extend fusion, continued pain in thoracic area"

You have given me a lot to think about and to question. I'm now compiling a new list of questions to hit the doctor up with.

"My next goal is to get glasses so I can see what I'm typing and make sure I am spelling right lol! Or maybe it's just the meds lol!"

Thanks for making me smile...I needed that!

Additionally, I have a few more questions for those of you who know.

First, can someone please explain to me the difference of a "structural" curve versus a "non-structural" one. How can you tell if one curve is structural versus compensatory. (Google, here I come).

Also, I understand the loss of mobility immediately after surgery, but can someone tell me what their limitations are after a long fusion several months after surgery. Like will I "ever" be able to tie my own shoes? Will I "ever" be able to bend over (even if it is from my hips). Will I be able to turn my upper back at all to look behind in the car? All those things that get taken for granted until something like this takes over.

Thank you all again for responding...You really did make me feel better and not so alone!

Hugs,
                    Bea
                    ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
                    Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
                    Now curve is T38*, L53*

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

shoes and twisting

Bea,

I have no problem tying my shoes being 3 months post op. For the past 5 years I have placed my foot across the opposing knee and I can still do that now. I also have the high wooden side slats on my bed and can rest my foot there and can easily tie my shoes. As far as turning, I think for me due to my prior flexibility I won't have a problem which is why I have given myself a little set back. I think I twisted or bent when I shouldn't have because I really don't feel all that stiff like most people talk about after fusion.

I would love to see what others have to say about that as well!

Sounds like you are going to have a good list of questions going. Make sure each doc you see doesn't rush you through your questions. If so, I would stay clear of that particular one. I had a few appointments that lasted almost 2 hours due to my questions and my doc took all the time that I needed to feel confident about what I was doing:O)
                      Susan

Comment

Shoes and Twisting Limitations

Bea,

I, too, am able to tie or buckle my shoes. At first, I couldn't, so it was a big celebration for me when I could. I'd guess it took at least three months before I could do that. I was fairly limber prior to the surgery, so it was just a matter of continuing gentle stretching until I could attain the shoe nirvana!

I started driving at 7-8 weeks post-op. I was absolutely petrified. I did not want to be in or cause a wreck. I didn't really drive often or far, at least until I was brace free (my ninja turtle suit). I think I was out of that fairly quickly, maybe six weeks. Time flies when you're having fun (on meds)! I'd say I have learned to accommodate whatever limitation I may have in regards to driving and looking over my shoulder to see who or what's behind. What I find is that I slide on the seat, turning my body around (instead of twisting), to enable me to see. This is not a conscious movement, it just happens! Same thing when I'm walking and I want to see what's behind me. That is a toughie, and one I'm not very good at. I usually stop and physcially turn around, because I just can't see behind me otherwise.

Hope this helps!
                        Les
                        Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                        Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                        T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                        Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                        Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                        Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                        Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                        Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                        Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Valley Girl--
                          Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help here. I'm about 3 and a half months and I still have lots of questions many of which you had in your last post. The bending and twisting I'm still confused by. I know I could do more but never think I'm supposed to. Even the doctors/nurses gave varied advice at my 2 month appt. Driving has gotten better--didn't like it at all at first! Good luck with your decision. Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Valley girl,

Welcome.

Remember the Zappa song "Valley girl" with his daughter "Moon unit" back in 1982? She was a Val, ya know?
                            I'm sorry, but the comedy is needed and I've been slacking in that department here on the forum. LOL

I wish you luck with your decision about length. My Doc wasn't going there. I asked, and he said, no.
                            I'm trying to find a film about lengths for you, and this one pertains to "going low". Its worth a watch.

http://www.researchchannel.org/prog/...D=9386&fID=345

Surgeons have to build your saggittal and coronal balance into your construct. Its not an easy thing for them to do, they have to custom bend your rods just right and if you have a large scoli, then they will sometimes need plenty of anchors (pedicle screws) and control as many segments as possible. If they go short in either direction, problems can occur, and the odds for future surgeries increase.

I'm going to drift off a little and mention that Dr Dvorak talks about bed positions and the use of walkers after surgery. This starts at 21.00 and runs to 22.25. Of course one of the nurses lifted my bed and I freaked out, but I was heavily sedated at that moment. What did I know?

There are a host of scoli videos on the research channel. Just search scoliosis and a few will pop up.

Les and I have the same fusion length. The tying of the shoes took me longer, I guess because one of my shoulders was broken. LOL After I had that problem fixed, it really wasn't an issue. Same with the car, I was off meds and started driving at 6 weeks.

One of the things that I really noticed was the fact that if I am sitting in a chair and someone wants me to look back, I have to physically get up and turn around to see back. You lose your rotating abilities with a long fusion. Its no big deal, everyone is adaptable.

Here is a great explanation of structural and compensatory curves by Dr Pashman
                            http://www.espine.com/adolescent-scoliosis.htm

This will keep you busy for a while.
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
                              Bea,

I have no problem tying my shoes being 3 months post op. For the past 5 years I have placed my foot across the opposing knee and I can still do that now. I also have the high wooden side slats on my bed and can rest my foot there and can easily tie my shoes. As far as turning, I think for me due to my prior flexibility I won't have a problem which is why I have given myself a little set back. I think I twisted or bent when I shouldn't have because I really don't feel all that stiff like most people talk about after fusion.
                              That's great. Kind of gives me one of those "Duh" moments cause that's the way I tie my shoes now...probably a hold-over from the days when i was wearing my brace and didn't even realize it! Wait, maybe it's just a hold-over from being overweight.

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
                              Sounds like you are going to have a good list of questions going. Make sure each doc you see doesn't rush you through your questions. If so, I would stay clear of that particular one. I had a few appointments that lasted almost 2 hours due to my questions and my doc took all the time that I needed to feel confident about what I was doing:O)
                              That's one of the many reasons why I like the Kaiser doctor so much. My first appointment with him, I was there for over 4 hours (some of that time was doing x-rays) and we all closed his office. The next time was less, but all in all, I am happy with the time he has given me so far answering questions and explaining. It's just that every time I leave his office, my mind starts to wander more and here I am. So yes, I'll ask a lot!

Originally posted by lapieper View Post
                              Bea,

I, too, am able to tie or buckle my shoes. At first, I couldn't, so it was a big celebration for me when I could. I'd guess it took at least three months before I could do that. I was fairly limber prior to the surgery, so it was just a matter of continuing gentle stretching until I could attain the shoe nirvana!

I started driving at 7-8 weeks post-op. I was absolutely petrified. I did not want to be in or cause a wreck. I didn't really drive often or far, at least until I was brace free (my ninja turtle suit). I think I was out of that fairly quickly, maybe six weeks. Time flies when you're having fun (on meds)! I'd say I have learned to accommodate whatever limitation I may have in regards to driving and looking over my shoulder to see who or what's behind. What I find is that I slide on the seat, turning my body around (instead of twisting), to enable me to see. This is not a conscious movement, it just happens! Same thing when I'm walking and I want to see what's behind me. That is a toughie, and one I'm not very good at. I usually stop and physcially turn around, because I just can't see behind me otherwise.

Hope this helps!
                              Les
                              Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                              Valley Girl--
                              Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help here. I'm about 3 and a half months and I still have lots of questions many of which you had in your last post. The bending and twisting I'm still confused by. I know I could do more but never think I'm supposed to. Even the doctors/nurses gave varied advice at my 2 month appt. Driving has gotten better--didn't like it at all at first! Good luck with your decision. Janet
                              Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                              Hi Valley girl,

Welcome.

Remember the Zappa song "Valley girl" with his daughter "Moon unit" back in 1982? She was a Val, ya know?
                              I'm sorry, but the comedy is needed and I've been slacking in that department here on the forum. LOL
                              LOL...that's where my screen name came from. I didn't live here my whole life, so I am really a "valley girl wannabe"...Like totally! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I wish you luck with your decision about length. My Doc wasn't going there. I asked, and he said, no.
                              I'm trying to find a film about lengths for you, and this one pertains to "going low". Its worth a watch.

http://www.researchchannel.org/prog/...D=9386&fID=345

Surgeons have to build your saggittal and coronal balance into your construct. Its not an easy thing for them to do, they have to custom bend your rods just right and if you have a large scoli, then they will sometimes need plenty of anchors (pedicle screws) and control as many segments as possible. If they go short in either direction, problems can occur, and the odds for future surgeries increase.
                              Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out right away.

I'm going to drift off a little and mention that Dr Dvorak talks about bed positions and the use of walkers after surgery. This starts at 21.00 and runs to 22.25. Of course one of the nurses lifted my bed and I freaked out, but I was heavily sedated at that moment. What did I know?

There are a host of scoli videos on the research channel. Just search scoliosis and a few will pop up.

Les and I have the same fusion length. The tying of the shoes took me longer, I guess because one of my shoulders was broken. LOL After I had that problem fixed, it really wasn't an issue. Same with the car, I was off meds and started driving at 6 weeks.

One of the things that I really noticed was the fact that if I am sitting in a chair and someone wants me to look back, I have to physically get up and turn around to see back. You lose your rotating abilities with a long fusion. Its no big deal, everyone is adaptable.

Here is a great explanation of structural and compensatory curves by Dr Pashman
                              http://www.espine.com/adolescent-scoliosis.htm

This will keep you busy for a while.
                              Ed
                              Thanks Ed, for your wealth of information. I've been to Pashman's site, (in fact he's my 2nd opinion) and there is so much information that it is very overwhelming. I can't believe I missed that part.

Thank you all for your responses and warm welcome. You are a tremendous source of information and I appreciate your input.

I'll keep posting and reading and trying to contribute where I can also.

I'm wishing you all continued healthy and speedy recoveries!

Thanks a million!
                              Bea
                              ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
                              Now curve is T38*, L53*

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Working...
                              X