set back....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• set back....

Well, what I thought was going to be a little set back sure as hell feels like a HUGE one. I have no idea what I have done to my back but it hurts in the lumbar area where the discs were removed. It feels like a tearing sensation if that makes any sense. I'ts not as bad as yesterday but still hurting pretty bad. The brace is giving me more support but it's pushing right on the area that hurts. The other night while sleeping, my dog startled me and apparently my husband said I sat up really quick but was also twisted as well and of course he yelled at me and I was half alseep and didn't understand why he was yelling at me to lay down! I think I definitely went beyond the limits any doctor would put on a patient with a movement like that. Hopefully things will start to feel better here soon. I feel like I have fallen back at least a 6 or 7 weeks....not good at all folks! UGH!!!!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Not to minimize your pain at all but if adults are anything like kids, it is highly unlikely you disrupted your fusion. Some 95% of kids need no physical restrictions whatsoever to get a solid fusion. I hope that is the case with adults also.

Muscles can mend on their own. Mending the fusion would require a second surgery.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you called your doctor yet? Sounds to me like a good time to get in touch with him.

Sheri
      At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
      Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
      Excellent correction

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
        Well, what I thought was going to be a little set back sure as hell feels like a HUGE one. I have no idea what I have done to my back but it hurts in the lumbar area where the discs were removed. It feels like a tearing sensation if that makes any sense. I'ts not as bad as yesterday but still hurting pretty bad. The brace is giving me more support but it's pushing right on the area that hurts. The other night while sleeping, my dog startled me and apparently my husband said I sat up really quick but was also twisted as well and of course he yelled at me and I was half alseep and didn't understand why he was yelling at me to lay down! I think I definitely went beyond the limits any doctor would put on a patient with a movement like that. Hopefully things will start to feel better here soon. I feel like I have fallen back at least a 6 or 7 weeks....not good at all folks! UGH!!!!
        Hi...

Since the pain is better than it was, I hope that you're dealing with a soft tissue injury. If you don't keep improving, call your surgeon's office.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Oh dear. I can't add anything to the advice already given except to say, we are all a little paranoid about disrupting our fusions but I suspect it's more likely to be a muscular problem. Hope I am right, and you continue to improve. Hang in there and rest and try not to let this upset you too much. I know, easier said than done. *hugs* Let us know how you go, won't you?

Maybe cold packs could help? It might reduce any inflammation and safer than Ibuprofen.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Oh Susan! I'm so sorry to hear about your pain! I hope it's just musculo-skeletal, does taking muscle relaxants help-? do you have valium or flexeril? break it in half if it's too strong (I know, flexeril knocks me out!).
            try heat or cold, gentle stretching, (you know- even if it hurts a little, you feel better afterwards). And definitely call the doc! He should be available on the weekend- or someone from his team is the ortho duty-doc. At least you can get their opinion.... you're in my prayers. Feeling so sad .... hoping you'll feel a noticable difference in the morning. God bless! Jamie
            57 years old.
            thoracic curve 68 degrees
            lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
            Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
            Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
            THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

still hutring

Scooter,

I am still on most of my meds except the break through pain meds. I haven't stopped anything else. I do think it's more of a soft tissue injury rather than hardware but I will be going in Thursday for xrays just to be sure. Every once in a while I get a sharp pain but I think it's healing nerves because they feel more near the surface than inside. It hasn't been as bad as it was Saturday night but it the severity of it comes and goes it's hard to get comfortable and I can feel a thickness in my lower back over where they removed the discs. It doesn't feel like spasmed muscles just strain/sprained I think. I am sure I moved wrong and it's just going to take a while to get back to normal......I am being positive here! Anything else just isn't an option. At first I was thinking the worse but that won't get me anywhere! I'll keep everyone posted!
              Susan

Comment

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear about your added pain. I know Thursday probably seems weeks away. I have a few concerns, but my next appt isn't until August. I hope all is well, there isn't much I can do at this point....I have no time off left at work.

Let us know how you are asap!
                ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
                pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
                post-surg 22* Thoracic.
                Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Good luck on Thursday Susan. I hope the Xrays are completely unnecessary but I think you're wise to have them done, even if only for your own peace of mind. I hope the pain is easing up, in the meantime.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

pain

Still having pain but I really think it's from the sitting up in bed that one night by accident. I don't think the xrays will show anything but I am wondering how long it will be to get back to where I was. My mother in law left today after being here for 3 months and my husband will be on vacation starting thursday so I just have to get through today and tomorrow with my oldest helping with the baby but it means I will have to be up and about more than if my mother in law was still here.

I can't wait to be completely healed. I am starting to run out of patience......didn't I just say yesterday that I was going to stay positive? Well, I'm not feeling positive today. I am back to feeling overwhelmed about when my husband will be underway and taking care of the kids by myself. I suppose I should just stop thinking about it since there is nothing I can do about that right now.
                    Susan

Comment

Working...
                    X