Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success

It is almost 5 months since my surgeries and time sure does go fast. Anyway, yesterday I realized that I got what I had wanted out of surgery. That means I can go shopping, go to a mall or two, take a ceramics class, walk 2 miles, cook, take the tortoises out to the garden and some other stuff. Before surgery, I could barely walk let alone walk 2 miles and forget going to the mall, not a possibility. Yesterday I realized that the surgery was a success. I expect that I will feel even better as time goes on, but as of now, everything pertaining to my back is a lot better and that is success to me. Plus I got my doctor's permission to go snorkeling so a snorkeling we shall go.
    Avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
    It is almost 5 months since my surgeries and time sure does go fast. Anyway, yesterday I realized that I got what I had wanted out of surgery. That means I can go shopping, go to a mall or two, take a ceramics class, walk 2 miles, cook, take the tortoises out to the garden and some other stuff. Before surgery, I could barely walk let alone walk 2 miles and forget going to the mall, not a possibility. Yesterday I realized that the surgery was a success. I expect that I will feel even better as time goes on, but as of now, everything pertaining to my back is a lot better and that is success to me. Plus I got my doctor's permission to go snorkeling so a snorkeling we shall go.
    Avis
    WONDERFUL News!! I'm thrilled for you Avis. I know you weren't sure a couple months ago, but things do improve slowly.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

High Five!

Hi Avis,

I was so excited to read your note today. You have really come a long way to getting your life back on track. We all know how hard the recovery road can be and that much of your success is also reflective of your hard work and "can do" attitude. Congratulations! Dr. Rand must be really pleased to have you able to snorkel and Sally back roller skating. He should produce a new reality program, i.e. Scoliosis Patients Have Incredible Talents. Hmmm...the two of you have raised the bar pretty high. I'm going to have to think long and hard to come up with my own talent to make the Show.

Take care,
      Linda
      Linda
      Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
      S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
      Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
      Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Hi Avis,
        I am so happy for you that you finally have your life back. It sure is a long recovery, but so worth it if you are able to get back to the things that you love. I'm glad I gave you a good referral and it worked out well for you. Where do you go snorkeling? We have only gone snorkeling a few times when we have been to Hawaii and a cruise in the Caribbean, and enjoyed it immensely. I have had my 12 year old grandson with me this week and have been taking him to baseball camp in town everyday and realized that last year at this time, I never would have been able to do this for him. Life is good.

Take care and have fun snorkeling, Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

That is such great news Avis! It's encouraging to hear that you are doing so much better at five months post surgery. Good for you! And good luck snorkling too.
          -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
          Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
          Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
          Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

That's absolutely wonderful! Congratulations & continued happy recovery. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Excellent news! Keep up the good work Avis and enjoy every minute of it.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

5 month recovery:O)

Avis,

Congrationals! I hope I am saying that in five months. I have had my first real set back, which I know everyone seems to have at least one but it makes me question if I really will feel better once the 6 month mark hits. I'm hoping that in six months I will be taking care of my youngest on my own. He is 17 months old now so it's just makes me nervous as to what will come and my husband will be gone for weeks at a time and I need to be able to handle travel hockey, rec hockey, 15 and 10 year old boys, the house and the baby and oh it just keeps gone on......all you mom's know what I mean. Hopefully I am worrying for nothing! I will keep my fingers crossed.
                Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Don't give up Susan. Sometimes it seems nothing is improving, then suddenly, you're back on track.

I hope it isn't long before that happens and you can feel a little more secure about being able to care of your family. It will happen!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                  X