Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain two years on.

Hello,

I had spinal fusion surgery two years ago in January 2007. I am still getting a lot of pain in my back, MORE than I had before the surgery. Is this normal? I cannot even be on my feet for two hours without getting a lot of pain. I began hairdressing work experience today, and after six hours on my feet, my back was practically screaming in pain. I can't believe I get more pain post-surgery than I did pre. Does anyone else have this?

Robbie,

Before you went back to work did you do some kind of therapy to strenthen the muscles in your back? I had so many muscles that had atrophied due to the scoliosis. The therapist had me doing some very mild back strenthening exercises and pool exercises to regain some muscle strength in my back. It really helped.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie View Post
      Hello,

I had spinal fusion surgery two years ago in January 2007. I am still getting a lot of pain in my back, MORE than I had before the surgery. Is this normal? I cannot even be on my feet for two hours without getting a lot of pain. I began hairdressing work experience today, and after six hours on my feet, my back was practically screaming in pain. I can't believe I get more pain post-surgery than I did pre. Does anyone else have this?
      Hi Robbie...

It sounds like you have a problem. I'd strongly suggest getting an appointment with your surgeon.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
      X