Hello I'm new! *waving*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello I'm new! *waving*

Hiya I'm Alyssa but my friends know me as Lyssie... I'm 20 y/o live in Guildford UK and had surgery for scoliosis at 17 in 2006 and I wouldn't ever regret a second of my decision (I had anterior approach and an fused T11-L3 and my wonderful surgeon is Mr K Lam)! I then had surgery for pectus excavatum last January age 19 and same - I wouldn't ever regret it all! Thanks to my thoracic surgeon

I started having a lot of pain last year and had an MRI on my lower spine which showed osteoathritis in my facet joints and 2 disc buldges. Pressing on my sciatic nerve causing a lot of leg pain. I ended up having facet joint injections and nerve root block too. (Mr Lam did these)... The pain carried on and I started taking tramadol well for about a month now I have been getting numbness in my bottom and left sole of my foot now. Especially back pain and I seem to have lost height again on my left side as my physio measured me and has given me a block to put under my left foot in shoes. I have realised that I've been 'leaning' again and my mum's been telling me to stand straight!

I am waiting for a call from my surgeons secretary to see what he suggests. I am having physiotherapy along with acupuncture and core stability ex's to help with pain and strengthening. The acupuncture is helping a lot with my neck so I'm hoping it'll help with my lower back too.

That's a bit of the story

Sorry for boaring you all,

Lyssie xx
    Lyssie, 22y/o
    Diagnosed with Scoliosis aged 10,
    Had spinal correction and fusion T11-L3 by Mr Lam
    (August 2006 aged 17)
    Fusion and correction successful!
    Developed pain early 2008!
    Denervation left SI joint mid-2010
    Further posterior correction and fusion T2-L4 by Mr Tucker
    (October 2010 aged 22) xxx

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you are having some problems though. I hope everything works out for you and you can get it all fixed.

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

Hi there:
      I'm sorry to hear you've got OA at your age!
      Unfortunately you had to be fused at the junction of the ribcage and lumbar spine, and this area should normally have a lot of motion. It sounds like your poor lower lumbar spine is taking a lot of stress to compensate for the lost mobility above due to the fusion..... I hope you're able to stabilize yourself and re-add some lost height through your strength program. It is often possible to make gains, with the right approach.
      How do you do with walking, by the way? Does walking cause symptoms for you?
      Cheers, B.
      Bettina:
      - 34 year old physiotherapist
      - main curve of 3 is mid-thoracic convex, approx 37 d.
      - my goal: to stay as upright, strong and painfree as I can, as long as I can.

Comment

Thank you Brad I hope so too!

B. - Thank you, yeah it does suck having OA. When walking I have back pain along with hip pain so makes it hard to walk for long at all.

Thank you again, Lyss xx
        Lyssie, 22y/o
        (August 2006 aged 17)

Comment

What up Lyssie. Are you Aussie?
          45L/40T
          Surgery 25/1/2010
          Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Hi Jimbo, nope I'm from good old wet and windy UK
            haha I'm alright though thanks...
            really bad back pain today but I'm (somehow) keeping it together.

Lyssie xx

I just wanted to add - Scoliosis runs in my family my cousin, aunty, granny and mum have it.
            Though my mum only found out when she crush fractured T7 on her motorbike (she's an awesome mum, lol!)
            She's really lucky because she hasn't got any pain in her back... and I get all the pain... sucky, ha!
            Mum also just had foot fusion (and several other things done to her ankle and foot, lol) 6 weeks ago
            I love my muuuuummy!
            Last edited by lyssie; 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM.
            Lyssie, 22y/o
            (August 2006 aged 17)

Comment

Working...
            X