Muscle spasm or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle spasm or something else?

From time to time I get these terrible muscle spasms around my left shoulder blade. Since about Friday, mine have been wierder than they have previously. About an inch to the right of my left shoulder blade, it my husband can identify a spot that when he presses puts me through the roof. Not only that, but when I'm laying down and I take a deep breath, I feel like there's a little guy in there wiggling around.

This morning I go to the PT for my shoulder. She's a godsend; I know she'll tell me what she thinks it is, and then Thursday I go see Dr. N for my almost 9 month post op check. I hope nothing else is wrong. It was so bad the night before last that I actually took one of my narcotics for the first time since March. The hot tub helps tremendously, and I was in it 3x yesterday. My muscle relaxants just haven't helped much. Yesterday I also worked from home, but today I've got to go in. Don't know how I'll get through the whole day. I am bringing my heating pad with me.

Last night we went out to dinner for our anniversary and I just couldn't wait to get home into the hot tub and then bed. Sigh......thanks for listening to me whine.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Hi Debbei,
    I had terrible pains behind my right shoulder blade at about 7 months post-op. I had just started my PT, so I told the therapist about the pain. She gave me exercises to do and within 1 1/2 months the pain was gone. Anyway, I'm thinking the PT should help you as well. It seems to take a long time for all the muscles in the back to assume new positions after fusion surgery. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I hope the physiotherapist can help with this problem Deb. It does sound to be muscular though the relaxants should have helped. Maybe after the PT you could take a day off work and spend it in and out of the hot tub, + using the relaxants. Might give it a headstart on improving. Good luck!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

The doctor thinks it's just muscle spasms. They have calmed down some over the last few days. There is one spot in particular that had a sharp pain, but he couldnt feel any hardware under there that might be causing a problem. THey gave me a different muscle relaxant (Soma) that seems to work better than the Baclofen. Although, like the pharmacist told me, I took one before bed and it just about put me in a COMA.

I'm working from home this morning and took another--so far I'm staying awake during my conference calls.

Everything else with the appointment was fine. They're seeing good fusion happening, all hardware is in place, and I dont' have to go back for one YEAR!! Unless this pain won't go away and then he said he could give me (YIKES) little injections in that area. Oh--and he said yes I could take motrin and other anti-inflamatories. At 9 months there is no problem. I will try later today.

Comment

That's good news Debbe, that your fusion is okay and it's probably just muscular. I also took Baclofen for the first couple of months, which did absolutely nothing for me. I ended up taking taking Valium at night for the spasms, which worked a little TOO well....talk about slipping into a coma!!

I was cleared to take anti-inflammatories at 6 months, but I waited almost a year just to be safe, and I still take them very sparingly.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Debbei,

It was great to hear that the fusion is setting in, can't wait to get to that stage. Hopefully you are feeling less pain now in your shoulder blade!
            Dolores A
            June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
            June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
            Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
            NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

That's good news all round Debbei. It must be gratifying that they can see good fusion taking place. I hope your muscles learn to behave themselves soon!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Debbie,

I have a problem similar to yours. It's my left shoulder and it hurts mostly when I breath in and often I can't get a deep breath or my breaths come in quick short shallow breaths that I have no control over. I had this problem in the beginning and it started to get better but has been kicking up again. I'm sure it's just one of those things that will go away eventually! Good luck with yours and mine!
                Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

It's doing much better. We were in the finger lakes over the weekend, and yesterday 4 of us were driving around to wineries ALL DAY. I took 2 motrin (for the first time) right before we started. Between the motrin (and the wine ) I felt perfect. My husband even commented that I didn't complain once that my back hurt.

I really wish that I could figure out WHAT I do to make this muscle thing happen around my shoulder. Sometimes I have a clue, but usually I have no idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X