Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting/Standing Duration

Hello All:
    I am almost 3 weeks post op (fused T4-L5) and I can still only sit or stand for about an hour at the max (later in the day all I can stand is 15 minutes). After that I have to go lie flat for a period of time, then I can get up an try it again. Is this normal? How long did it take till you all were able to remain vertical for a significant amount of time?

I am so glad you all are here to answer questions. This is a god-send. I switched from the walker to hiking sticks from REI like someone suggested and they are wonderful! Made a huge difference in my ability to walk with a normal gait.

Thanks again for your help.
    Paula

June 15, 2009 Posterior Fusion T4-L5
    Thorasic: 48° --> 8°
    Lumbar: 65° --> 8°
    Dr. Von Rueden Austin, Texas

Originally posted by AustinPaula View Post
    Hello All:
    I am almost 3 weeks post op (fused T4-L5) and I can still only sit or stand for about an hour at the max (later in the day all I can stand is 15 minutes). After that I have to go lie flat for a period of time, then I can get up an try it again. Is this normal? How long did it take till you all were able to remain vertical for a significant amount of time?
    Hi Paula,
    You are doing much better at 3 weeks post-op than I did. I could barely sit for 30 minutes, same for standing. Be patient, it takes some of us a lot longer that for others. Get plenty of rest.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Yup, you're doing much better than I did as well. Hang in there. It will get better.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Paulla,

As Sally and Linda said, you are doing well for 3 weeks. It does take time! At three weeks I started getting six from all the meds and ended up in bed for about 2 weeks not being able to eat well and even walk around because I was so drained. Hang in there. Before you know it you will be moving around a little bit better each day. However, don't over do. That's what I did and I felt like I had regressed a few weeks. I am now about 2 1/2 months and I can do 30 minutes of cardio and feel fine but than later in the day feel wiped out, other days I feel fine. It really is a day to day thing. You'll hear this many times....slow and steady wins the race and with recovery from scoliosis surgery it's true all be it frustrating!!!!!!!!!!
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi Paula,

I'm just a day or two shy of 4 weeks from my surgery, sitting is the hardest for me, just have not found a comfortable place yet. The only comfort I get right now is lying down prone, not even propped up by pillows. Walking is good though, every day I go a little further on my outside walks. It does get frustrating to not be able to sit in the living room with the family for any amount of time or to even just watch something on tv. I have progressed a little though because when I first came home, I could not sit on my couch at all, now I can with pillows behind me for about 10 minutes the most. I guess we just have to be patient, every day will get better and better!
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Hi Paula,

You sound like you are right on track. I think at three weeks post op I was still laying down most of the time. It really does take awhile to get comfortable sitting up for long periods. I'm sure you are in great hands with Dr. Von Ruden. I used Dr. Geck and have had nothing short of a smooth recovery!

Good Luck and just remember...it gets a little better everyday!
            ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
            56* Lumbar

Posterior Spinal Fusion T4 to L4
            Surgery scheduled for May 18, 2009

Dr. Matthew Geck
            Austin, TX

Comment

sitting.....

Paula,

Just a wondering of you are wearing a brace. I had trouble sitting until the re-adjusted my brace. I find even now that I am starting to wean out of the brace that sitting is much more comfy with the brace on than off.....it holds everything up! Once again, good luck getting comfy:O) I know it's hard. I just had to go and put my brace on. I did cardio this am and than floated in the pool a little. The sun definitely helps make me feel better. Anyways, I am in the brace because I think I did a little to much.....but it helps and that's what counts.
              Susan

Comment

Ten minutes was about all I could manage, sitting, standing or walking, at 3 weeks. You're doing great!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm about 8 weeks and by 5:00 at night I'm done for the day in terms of sitting and standing (and I'm not working currently) I'm still very drained and take naps. You are doing wonderful! Stay strong!

Always Smilin'
                  Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                  pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                  pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                  right thoracic 57
                  lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                  revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                  unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Thank goodness. I was beginning to think it was just me! I was up and down like a slo-mo jack in the box. I would barely be down before I was getting up. I got the strangest looks from my husband. I kept telling him, "I'm practicing." His response, "Let me know when you get it right!" Sleeping was hardest for me. I'd sleep about 45-60 minutes, then I'd be up and read for 20. And every time I would sit up, I had to put on the brace. Then I'd get it on and decide I had to go to the bathroom. So then I'd take off the brace,go to the bathroom, and put it back on so I could sit and read! I just couldn't get and stay comfortable for any length of time. I counted all that up and down as exercise! Just guessing, it took about four months before I could sit longer than an hour.

It's now been more than a year, and I'm sleeping all the way through, can sit for extended periods of time (1-4 hours), and am no longer "practicing." Guess I finally got it right!

Be kind to yourself. We only have to do one day at a time.

Lesley
                    Last edited by lapieper; 07-04-2009, 07:22 PM.
                    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I think you're doing amazingly well. Sitting was terribly hard for me for the first 2 months. Finally seeming much better but still know when it's time to get flat!

Susan, I'm curious. What do you do for cardio at this relatively early stage? Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

At 3 weeks, everything I did happened in 3 minutes. 3 minutes of sitting, 3 minutes of standing, 3 minutes of eating, 3 minutes of pacing,and you guessed right, 3 minutes of sleep.

Now at 17 months, Im at 4 minutes. Just kidding, LOL Things will improve soon.

A few months ago, I shoveled about 5000# of landscaping rock.
                        In 3 minutes.

Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by AustinPaula View Post
                          Hello All:

I am so glad you all are here to answer questions. This is a god-send. I switched from the walker to hiking sticks from REI like someone suggested and they are wonderful! Made a huge difference in my ability to walk with a normal gait.

Thanks again for your help.
                          Paula,

I think I was exactly that way. Sometimes I'd be sitting up in the evening just COUNTING the minutes until I could go take my meds and go to bed. It does get better, slowly, day by day. It's hard to see when you're in the middle of it.

Feel better,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies. It made me feel so much better. I was worried something wasn't right. Sounds like I am about on track though. Looks like this is going to be an exercise in extreme patience.

Some one asked if I had a brace. I do not. Before the surgery my doctor said he would decide on a brace after the surgery. In the hospital he never mentioned it, so here I am, braceless.

I walk like a cartoon character though. It is pretty ridiculous. I hope this part passes too.
                            Paula

June 15, 2009 Posterior Fusion T4-L5
                            Thorasic: 48° --> 8°
                            Lumbar: 65° --> 8°
                            Dr. Von Rueden Austin, Texas

Comment

walking

I walk like a cartoon character though. It is pretty ridiculous. I hope this part passes too.[/QUOTE]

Paula: I too walked like like a cartoon character lol. My 15 month old son walked better than me so you can imagine! If you feel like you need more stability maybe you should talk to your doctor about getting some type of brace. There are a few different types out there not just the hard plastic turtle shell types (tlso). It may help you have more stability that you need and make you more comfortable..........just a thought!
                              Susan

Comment

Working...
                              X