Doctor Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Feedback

Is anyone familiar with a Dr. Bret Abshire, out of San Diego, Temecula area who is a nuerosurgeon with a specialty working on the spine?
    Would love to hear from you. I have been seeing him currently for the last year and really like him but have not seen any feedback on this doctor.
    I am going for 2nd opinions next week to see Dr. Pashman (Cedar Sinai) and the week after that Dr. Bhatia (US Irvine).
    This year my MRI of my cervical spine showed significant cervical canal stenosis at C4-5, C5-6 and C6-7. Last year about this time I had two hierniated discs in the lumbar region with a thoracolumbar scoliosis 44 Deg. curve. He wants to fuse my entire spine.
    So glad to have this connection with all of you and be able to read experiences and get feedback. Thx so much
    Rzbud
    Last edited by rzbud; 07-03-2009, 09:47 AM. Reason: Adding Doctors name in title

Hi Rzbud...

You might want to try putting the doctor's name in the Title, as many people don't read every post.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dr. Abshire

Linda, Thx u very much for the helpful tip. Now I just need to figure out how to edit part of the title. Have a great day.
      Rzbud

Comment

doc

RXBUD,

Good luck with finding a good doc, sounds like you have a lot going on there with your spine.
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi rzbud
          do you know the numbers of where your curve is..? i have upper & lower curves, but my dr just wants to do lower, as upper 40 degree curve is helped w/botox shots...so he wants to fuse lower 60 degree from L4-sacrum anterior & T 11 - S 1 posterior w/bilateral pelvic fixation....maybe you could ask the other drs if you need to be fused all the way down....i have doctors in nyc..i visit CA but havent moved there...yet...there are ways to check doctors reps on the internet...
          best of luck to you...i am holding off while epidurals & botox & facet blocks & stuff like that attempt to control my pain..but do not advise anyone else to do that..i am older...wish i'd dealt with this when i was younger!

best of luck
          jess

Comment

<snip...i am holding off while epidurals & botox & facet blocks & stuff like that attempt to control my pain..but do not advise anyone else to do that..snip>

Hi, I am curious if the treatments that you mention have been helping the pain? I have some severe lumbar problems (L4 spondylolisthesis, huge facet joints, arthritis, lateral listhesis, degenerating/bulging discs etc along with a nearly 40 degree lumbar curve, all 25 years after a L5-S1 fusion for a L5 spondylolisthesis. I am not ready yet for surgery, but am definitely getting to the point where I need something more for control of pain and leg tingling than pills. Any info you can share is appreciated!
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

pain management

dear gayle
              happy to tell you...epidurals help somewhat...lately they (pain doctors) divide them into 3 treatments...i just had # 2 yesterday, another one in 3 weeks will be last of 3 for now...the botox shots help my upper (40degree) curve, which wont be included in surgery IF i go thru with it...for the lumbar 60 degree curve,i have had facet blocks, which helped, & radial ablation, where they burn off nerves (which grow back) which also helped....cortisone shots that i used to have w/rheumatologist NEVER helped at all! the botox was tried for the lower pain but did nothing...
              my dr wants to do A/P surgery, anterior L4-sacrum & posterior T 11- S1 "w/bilateral pelvic fixation"..it is the fixation that is stopping me...also, read some research linda racine posted that said basically that lumbar fusion has been more difficult & given less satisfaction to patients, esp those who are older, which includes me...my scoli was not diagnosed til i was 30 yrs old, & it didnt bother me back then....2 yrs ago i had to retire from 2 very stressful jobs in nyc...jobs i loved in social work!
              anyway, write anytime...i'd recommend a good pain dr...where do you live??...i know a good one in nyc & one in CT...

best of luck

jess

Comment

Pain Management

Jess,

Thank you for the information. I had never heard of Botox treatments for this. I am older as well. I am 54 yrs. old and never really knew my spine was moving until the last 5 yrs. I always thought the pain was due to my arthritis.

I am going to ask the two 2nd opinion doctors this month if they can provide any relief in not fusing the entire spine. I don't have all the detail information of degrees other than what I put in my note due to the fact, I didn't even know there was more than the one I rec'd. I have RA and too afraid to not take care of this now while still otherwise healthy due to the fact, I don't want to end up in a wheelchair because of scoliosis or RA later in life.
                Rzbud

Comment

Originally posted by rzbud View Post
                  Linda, Thx u very much for the helpful tip. Now I just need to figure out how to edit part of the title. Have a great day.
                  Rzbud
                  Sorry, I don't think Titles are editable. I was thinking you'd start a new thread.
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

sorry...was just answering gayle's question about pain tx...will write private message...

jess

Comment

Pain Management

Originally posted by rzbud View Post
                      Jess,

Thank you for the information. I had never heard of Botox treatments for this. I am older as well. I am 54 yrs. old and never really knew my spine was moving until the last 5 yrs. I always thought the pain was due to my arthritis.

I am going to ask the two 2nd opinion doctors this month if they can provide any relief in not fusing the entire spine. I don't have all the detail information of degrees other than what I put in my note due to the fact, I didn't even know there was more than the one I rec'd. I have RA and too afraid to not take care of this now while still otherwise healthy due to the fact, I don't want to end up in a wheelchair because of scoliosis or RA later in life.
                      Rzbud
                      Hi,
                      Unfortunately, none of the injections worked for me. I tried Epidural, Facets, and two others higher towards the middle of my back. None worked for me. The third one, one of the ones toward the middle of my spine worked for about 3 weeks and then wore off. So, as I have posted earlier, I'm having surgery tomorrow (6th) morning. Good Luck!!
                      Debbie

Comment

best of luck debbie...in my thoughts & prayers for a wise decision & a great outcome

jess

Comment

Pashman - Bhatia

Just wanted to update for everyone to see to help others in search of a doctor. I have written private messages referring to this but not for others who are doing a search. I have had my appt. with Dr. Pashman (works out of Cedar Sinai) for a 2nd opin. & this visit was very good. His office staff are very nice & he is to the point. He does not feel I need to have a total fusion due to my posture being pretty good. He suggests fusing C4- C6 first. 3 mths later do fusing of L4 to S1 and then T10 to L4. In 2 wks I see Dr. Bhatia. I just found out last night that he is the Dr. who performed surgery on the only survivor of the auto accident that killed the Angel Baseball player this year in Anaheim, CA. My friend who works at UCI said he has an excellent record. Feeling much better about having surgery due to these positive signs. Will decide after this last appt. Anxious to move ahead.
                          Rzbud

Comment

Working...
                          X