Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT before fusion??

I am so happy to have found this forum!

I am 48 years old, and have an S-curve. . .it's about 86 degrees thoracic, and smaller lumbar. I wore a Milw brace for a couple years (back in the 70's) and my curves were pretty stable until after my 4th (of 5) baby, in 1991. Since then, it's gotten much worse, and lately has become uncomfortable enough that I made the decision to have a fusion.

I am scheduled for surgery on Aug 25 with Dr. Tribus. He thinks, based on the 1st x-rays, that he'll fuse from T-1 to L-1, but that could change after he sees my MRI and bending films. He figures that it'll be about a 10 hour surgery.

My timing isn't too great. We built a house (near where we now live) and are moving Labor Day weekend.

A couple friends have wondered if I would have a better recovery if I started with p.t. now. Have any of you done p.t. pre-op, and if so, do you think it helped?
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Originally posted by mgs View Post
    I am so happy to have found this forum!

I am 48 years old, and have an S-curve. . .it's about 86 degrees thoracic, and smaller lumbar. I wore a Milw brace for a couple years (back in the 70's) and my curves were pretty stable until after my 4th (of 5) baby, in 1991. Since then, it's gotten much worse, and lately has become uncomfortable enough that I made the decision to have a fusion.

I am scheduled for surgery on Aug 25 with Dr. Tribus. He thinks, based on the 1st x-rays, that he'll fuse from T-1 to L-1, but that could change after he sees my MRI and bending films. He figures that it'll be about a 10 hour surgery.

My timing isn't too great. We built a house (near where we now live) and are moving Labor Day weekend.

A couple friends have wondered if I would have a better recovery if I started with p.t. now. Have any of you done p.t. pre-op, and if so, do you think it helped?
    Hi...

As far as I know, there are no studies that show that PT might be helpful prior to surgery. However, I doubt it would hurt to work on some core strengthening.

Good luck with your surgery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Pt

I would focus on core strengthening and also building up some strength in your arms and legs. Having strong arms and legs will really help post surgery. Of course, stay within your limits, you don't want to go and hurt your back any more than it hurts already:O)
      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi,

Your story is similar to mine. I had PT prior to surgery and I did work on core strength, plus worked on arms and legs on my own. The PT may have helped with core strength, but it did nothing for my pain prior to surgery.

Good luck with your surgery and with the move.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I think PT would be helpful. I was in fairly good physical condition before my surgery, and PT after the surgery was somewhat challenging. If I had had PT before my surgery I would have been informed as to what I needed to strengthen going into the surgery (squats and lunges), and overall flexibility. I would have done whatever it took to ensure being able to squat, lunge, and touch my toes! I'm still working on being able to do that now, and I have had three back surgeries in less than one year.
          Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
          Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
          T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
          Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
          Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
          Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
          Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
          Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
          Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I am unsure if it would be useful to do strengtheing pre-surgery, given the current size of your curve.

However I would suggest speaking with a few different PT's before surgery to choose the best aftercare provider. The providers that the hospital usually recomends MAY be great, but there is no guarantee of that. Pick someone that you think has a high degee of knowledge, skill and creativity.

Best of luck!
            Bettina:
            - 34 year old physiotherapist
            - main curve of 3 is mid-thoracic convex, approx 37 d.
            - my goal: to stay as upright, strong and painfree as I can, as long as I can.

Comment

Pre-op, I considered getting fit would be my best bet for a better recovery so walked as fast as I could every day, walking further and further. I also kayaked for up to 5 hours a day, every other day, in the fortnight prior to surgery.

I felt strong and fit the day of surgery and I had a fairly easy recovery, if you discount the drug withdrawals. I've felt pretty much my old self since 3 months though I am still taking it easy, just in case.

Who knows, I might have had a good recovery anyway e.g. surgeon's skills might be a bigger determinent of how one recovers.

If it did nothing else, it kept my mind occupied, trying to do the best I could for myself.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

It only makes sense to go into any surgery in tip top condition. That's a no brainer.

A bottle of whisky per day, and loads of fatty fast food, and laying on the couch, might not be a good idea.

Eat healthy, and get into shape. Surgeons don't like cutting through fat.Strengthen your immune systems.

Good luck
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I had always exercised but really upped it prior to surgery. Mine was just going to the gym to work out and/or going to classes there. This was on the advice of others I talked with who had had the surgery. I think it has made a big difference in my recover at 3 months. The first 3 weeks or so you may not think so but it does. Good luck. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                  X