Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip pain/work woes

Hi everyone,

I will start out by saying that I am about 5-6 weeks post op and I am feeling better and better everyday. My worry is about my hip. I have noticed that I am walking now with my upper body (waist and up) leaning forward so that my hip won't hurt but in turn that causes low back pain. When I try to stand up straight, it hurts hip on the right side. I think this may have something to do with my hips being in a different position than they used to be but I'm not sure what to think. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so what did you do to fix it. I am thinking maybe I need to try some PT to strengthen that hip or something.

Also, I am nervous about going back to work because I still get so fatigued and sore after just a few hours. Plus, I am still on pain killers (oxycontin and flexeril). When do most people start going back to work??? My surgeon said he thinks I should be fine to go back by 8 weeks but I am sooo nervous!

Advice???
    ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
    56* Lumbar

Posterior Spinal Fusion T4 to L4
    Surgery scheduled for May 18, 2009

Dr. Matthew Geck
    Austin, TX

hip pain

Allison,

I would follow up with your doc regarding your hip. Especially if you are leaning forward to compensate. That doesn't sound to good. Of course everyone recovers differently and has different recovery issues but it's always a good idea to call and check. Both of my hips popped alot after surgery they didn't hurt but my brace made my left hip hurt....more from pressing on a nerve I think but it passed withing a week or so. My left one still pops at night when I roll over. Sounds grossa and feels a little strange but no pain. Call that Doc and good luck going back to work.
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Allison,

I didn't walk any differently, but for at least 5 or 6 months, it felt like the ball of my hip didn't fit properly into the socket. Some of my range of motion had decreased as a result of the surgery. My PT and I (I started at 2 months) had the same opinion as you that it was because the hips were in a different position than they used to be. I was so discouraged because I thought it would never get better. Slowly, with stretching & 3 months of PT, it got much better. By the time the insurance stopped paying for PT, it was still there, but much much better. About a month after that, it got totally back to normal on it's own. It's probably more stretching in the hip that you need than strengthening. I highly recommend a good therapist.

As far as work--wow. I know I wasn't ready at 8 weeks. I only went back to work the end of may, which was 7.5 months. And still, the first month I was exhausted. I'm just now starting to get more used to it. Editing to add--although you are much younger than me, maybe you'll adjust more quickly than I did.

Good luck. Maybe you can get a little more time before you have to go back?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
      X