Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going backwards: this ones is for the ladies

OK Ladies,

I am wondering if any of you out there have really bad PMS and if you have found that during your cycle it seems that prior to your periods that your back issues seem to be much worse. I am ready to have a small little pity party here!

I have always had a difficult time with changes of hormones druing my cycle. It also seems that about 2 weeks before my period I start getting extremely fatigued and very sore and achey everywhere and of course it makes my back feel worse than it would normally feel.

I seem to have had a set back with my recovery and I am starting to think that my overall body pain right now is because of this. Because not only does my back hurt more, so does everything else. Of course, I could be completely way off here but I feel like I have gone back at least 4 weeks in my recovery and I really do think it's because of this problem.

I am wondering if it's a lack of certain vitamins or something along those lines. Any feed back would be great. I hope all this rambling made a little bit of sense!

thanks.....
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Hey Susan,

I agree with you on the raging PMS. I'm getting so frustrated because I think that my surgery has severely messed up my cycle. At this point I am now 2 weeks late but I feel so on edge. I normally am very calm but it seems that lately the smallest things anger me to no end. I wonder if others are having similar problems??? It would make me feel a lot better if I knew I wasn't the only one with a late period after this surgery. Who knows...
    ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
    56* Lumbar

Posterior Spinal Fusion T4 to L4
    Surgery scheduled for May 18, 2009

Dr. Matthew Geck
    Austin, TX

Comment

cycles

Allison,

Hang in there! I have always had this problem and I am at my end with it. I can get reallllyyyy nasty. I try to keep myself in check but it is difficult sometimes.

As far as your cycle post op....mine was screwed up as well. My period was due to start the morning of my first surgery. It started 2 days later and it only lasts for 2 days. Then my 2nd surgery followed a week later and I started my period 2 days after that surgery and had it for 4 or 5 days I think.....it's a little foggy! Then I didn't have it for 2 months and then I got it again. Those months I skipped though I still had the PMS symptoms. One week I cried almost all week and every said it was the meds and surgery. I am sure those things added to the problem but pms did not help. I mean I REALLY cried. It was ridiculous! I am trying now to really be good with my vitamins and see where that gets me:O) Good luck.....lots of deep breathing lol.
      Susan

Comment

There are few benefits to being over 50, but that's one of them.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Bingo! I agree with Jennifer! Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I'm 48, and things are starting to get screwy in that dept, and I haven't had my surgery yet. I did research on the internet (not the sites that are trying to hawk their snake oil) and now take several vitamin and mineral and herb supplements. The timing is still irregular, but my moods are more level. So, I gather I can look forward to being even more hormonally screwed up post-op?? While they have me open, why don't they just take out my uterus and ovaries? . . .maybe a little lipo, too?. . .
            Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
            Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
            Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Yep...horrendous PMS and HORRENDOUS backpain immediately before...to the point I feel as though my back is breaking. I haven't found anything to help other than to use BC to stop my monthly cycle somewhat. Interesting post

Always Smilin'
              Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
              pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
              pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
              right thoracic 57
              lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
              revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
              unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

cycles

Alwayssmilin,

I wish I could use birthcontrol but I have never been able to tollerate them. They seem to affect my moods even more. Even though they now have many more to choose from than years ago I had a liver problem during my last pregnancy and I was told that I can't use birth control at ALL. So for me that option is out. I find that exercsing makes a difference and of cource eating right. I really haven't eaten great the past few days. Just not feeling that good. I will be glad to have this problem gone someday!!!!!! It's next in line after scoliosis!! Oh to be a woman.........
                Susan

Comment

Yes PMS does seem worse now than before surgery. My back hurts BAD when it is that time!!!! Then you get cramps....and it just gets worse from there. Normally the first day is the worst.
                  I planned my surgery around my cycle!!! haha So I wasn't supposed to start...but I did a couple days after surgery. Then I didn't get it again for like 2 months! It was weird... still never on time. =/
                  Hope it gets better!
                  Diagnosed in '06'
                  Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
                  Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
                  Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
                  Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
                  Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
                  I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

Sorry that you can't use BC. Unfortunately for me, I have other female issues that require me to use BC - and it seems to help me a little tiny bit. Amazing how alike so many of us are.

Always Smilin'
                    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                    right thoracic 57
                    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                    unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

I seem to have had the opposite happen to me! I am currently on BC which I started taking due to very painful cramps. It made a big difference. I had to stop taking them while in hospital and for a short time after and noticed that my cramps were pretty much gone. I'm not sure if it's a temporary thing but I did get intermittent bleeding when I was still on pain meds and I had no pain then either. I'll see if it continues. It's been a good change as I was contemplating have a laporascopy(sp?) to check for endo next year. Hope it stays this way :P
                      Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
                      46° curve
                      Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

Working...
                      X