Uneven shoulders/hips & PT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven shoulders/hips & PT

My 18 year old son had a spinal fusion 2 weeks ago T4-T12. Afterwards we noticed that his shoulders and hips look worse. The doctor says that eventually these the muscles will work themselves out and eventually he should even out. Did anyone else notice this? Also, I've been reading other posts that some people are going to Physical Therapy. My son's doctor suggested that he will not need therapy afterwards. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

T4-T12
    Curve 52 now down to less then 10

I have days where I look very even because my muscle spasms aren't to bad and other days where my shoulders look very uneven. It does take a long time for the body to work out all the kinks! As far a physical therapy, my doc said I wouldn't start until 3 months at least and for each patient it varied. He mentioned that I may not even need physical therapy. Which I am sure there will be something I need to work on. Just wait and see. I am sure when the time he right he will let you know! Good luck to your son,
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mmedek View Post
      My 18 year old son had a spinal fusion 2 weeks ago T4-T12. Afterwards we noticed that his shoulders and hips look worse. The doctor says that eventually these the muscles will work themselves out and eventually he should even out. Did anyone else notice this? Also, I've been reading other posts that some people are going to Physical Therapy. My son's doctor suggested that he will not need therapy afterwards. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

T4-T12
      Curve 52 now down to less then 10
      I'm not a medical professional, but I would be concerned. It is not normal for anyone to come out of surgery with shoulders and/or hips more uneven than they were to start.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi,

It seems like we're in a similar situation. I was fused from T12-L3 about 2 months ago. Immediately after surgery I was quite upset because my hips were still quite uneven. My left hip looked more normal than before surgery but my right side was still quite flat. However, it has been slowly improving. I now have a noticeable hip on the right side but it isn't quite even yet. I'm not sure if it'll improve further. My surgeon thinks it will improve a bit more. My shoulders weren't uneven so I can't really comment about that. I hope the same thing happens to your son but maybe speak to his surgeon to be sure.

All the best
        Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
        46° curve
        Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

Working...
        X