brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brace

Just got news that I am able to wean out of my brace starting this week rather than waiting until next week.....so happy. Of course it will be a slow weaning process. That's ok though, it's just another step in this whole process of healing:O)
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Yea Susan! That's fantastic news! A week is a huge deal when it comes to the brace. I remember when I was told I could start weaning out of my brace. I felt so liberated! Congrats!
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Comment

That's great news. I will be seeing my surgeon on the 24th and he said that I can start wearing it less and less after that.
      Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
      46° curve
      Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

set back

So for all my happiness of weaning out of my brace guess what. I am sitting here not being able to move very well today. I am thinking that over the past week I have over done it. I am not sure if it's been the cardio. I feel fine with no pain at all on the elliptical. I am not sure if it's been the adjustment of the brace and it's fitting tighter. Or, maybe I have just been on my feet to much and doing to many small chores such as dishes and carrying my laundry (VERY small piles) minor straightening things around the house. I was so sore in bed last night I could hardly role over. I am going to lay off the cardio for a few days and see how I feel. So even though I can wean out of the brace here I sit in the darn thing because I hurt. So frustrated I could just scream. Rather than screaming I am trying to stay to stay positive and keep a smile on and realize we all have set backs.

Linda, you are so right. We hit this point in our recovery where we start to feel better and we are walking accidents. I had to laugh when you said that but it made me realize that it was time to slow down. No wonder I still keep loosing weight. I have been moving moving moving.

I have to laugh at my mother in law who is still here taking care of the kids and me....she is insisting I wear my brace still and thank god she does. Maybe it is still a little to soon. Oh well, better luck next week! Hope everyone out there is hanging in!
        Susan

Comment

Hi Susan,

You really need to slow down and rest more. You are doing way too much. It's only been 2 1/2 months, right? Let your mother in law do the work while she is there. You young ones heal quicker and try to get into shape sooner, but us older women know that the earth won't collapse if the house doesn't get picked up or cleaned and we know there is plenty of time for us to get back into shape a few months down the road. I wore my elastic brace for at least 6 months. Please take care of you.

Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Am I reading correctly that you are about 2 1/2 months from surgery and you are working out on cardio machines like the elliptical? Holy mackerel, I am at 4 months and I am not allowed to start P/T yet. Does your doc know that you are doing all that stuff? I just carry 20 pound bags of cat litter as if that's an ok thing to do (not). Will I tell my dr. when I see him in August? Yes because my husband will be there and will realize that I still need to be babied even though I am able to drive and function (i could go off on a tangent but I wont').
            Anyway, be careful. Your body is brand new and you could easily hurt yourself by working too hard.
            avis
            1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
            2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
            2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Avis,

My doc really encouraged exercise as soon as possible, walking being the first of choice but I told him I had and elliptical trainer and he said that was fine. I really feel great when I am on the elliptical trainer. I think my issues as far as this set back is my problems with my cycle. Every month it really drains my entire body. Even prior to surgery I would feel really wrotten and I think that's what's going on right now. I did take yesterday and today off from cardio and have started back on my prenatal vitamins that I had left over until I can get out and stock up on some new ones.....anyways, going back to the work out issue. I was very active prior to surgery and the doc felt that I could handle it. He wanted me to at least walk 1 mile a day at this point and I use my elliptical on it's lowest setting and lowest resistance...so it is very similar to the walking motion. But you are right Avis, I do think I need I slow down a little. Linda said it best, we are walking accidents at this point because we thinkwe can do more than we really can!
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X