Pillow Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pillow Talk

Question #2 -- Awhile back one of the forum members, sorry to say, I can't remember who was talking about how she got comfortable with pillows. My problem is getting situated in bed. I did not think to ask my surgeon if it's ok to sleep on my side, I've been sleeping on my back but I'm actually more comfortable on my side -- any suggestions?

Thanks
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Originally posted by dolores a View Post
    Question #2 -- Awhile back one of the forum members, sorry to say, I can't remember who was talking about how she got comfortable with pillows. My problem is getting situated in bed. I did not think to ask my surgeon if it's ok to sleep on my side, I've been sleeping on my back but I'm actually more comfortable on my side -- any suggestions?

Thanks
    I've never heard a surgeon say it wasn't fine to sleep on one's side. Your knees should be slightly bent, with a pillow between them.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I lay on my side only a few hours after surgery. I soon rolled back, it wasn't comfortable, but it was only a matter of a few weeks before I began sleeping on my side every night.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

side sleeping

Dolores,

I managed sleeping on my back for one night and was misserable. Since I have been home I have been sleeping on my sides with a pillow between my knees, one long pillow behind me sort of tuck under to keep me propped up on my side and than I have one that I bear hug all night. In the beginning when I would need to roll over my husband would get up and acually help me flip my hips over....it was a 1-2-3- team roll effort! Now I can roll over by myself it just takes a minute to place all my pillows where I want them :O) Once in a while I hit him with a pillow. I promise it isn't on purpose lol! Right now I am typing in bed lying on my back but I won't last in this position for long it seems to bother my siactic nerves a little but it feelsl good to stretch my back this way:O)s
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Dolores,
          My son was comfortable on his side after surgery. In the hospital they actually encouraged it. He used pillows behind him to prop himself. He also used a pillow between his legs for more comfort. He liked having the pillows there because sometime he fell asleep on the pillows.

Comment

Hi Dolores,

I'm about 5 weeks post op and I have been sleeping on my side ever since I was in the hospital. The doctor told me I could sleep however I could get comfortable. I too tend to be more comfortable on my side. I use a pillow against my stomach and sort of hug it and roll into it so it helps to support my body. It still hurts to lay on my side without a pillow though. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Allison
            ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
            56* Lumbar

Posterior Spinal Fusion T4 to L4
            Surgery scheduled for May 18, 2009

Dr. Matthew Geck
            Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by mmedek View Post
              Dolores,
              My son was comfortable on his side after surgery. In the hospital they actually encouraged it. He used pillows behind him to prop himself. He also used a pillow between his legs for more comfort. He liked having the pillows there because sometime he fell asleep on the pillows.
              This is what my nurses showed me when I was in the hospital and I still do this 26 years later. I'm like Susan and keep one pillow at my back and one that I bear hug in front, that also goes between my knees. I have 2 5' pillows, one for my front, and one for the back. Although I sometimes use just one 5' pillow and put a smaller (regular sized) pillow at my back. It really depends. I have two regular sized pillows that have a different fluffyness too them, and I rotate them around as I need to, depending on how my back feels.

My wife complains that my pillows take up too much room on the bed.

Also taking naps on the couch, with your back to the back of the couch, are some of the best sleeps I have.
              Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
              Still have 57 degree curve
              2 Harrington rods
              Luque method used
              Dr David Bradford
              Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
              Preop xray (with brace on)
              Postop xray

Comment

Working...
              X