Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport

Hiya
    I'm nearly 8 months pre op now to fix a 50 degrees upper curve and I jus thought I would post to tell you about my experience of doing pe for the first time in school since my op. I was allowed to start Pe again after 6 months but this coincided with the summer hols, now I'm back at school I am doing Pe full time again!
    My Pe teacher had explained to everyone in my group that I had had major surgery so that they were aware, and she said I could sit out at any time if my back was hurting or if I felt tired at all.
    So I took part in Pe and we were playin netball and I felt absolutely fine despite having slight backache when throwing the ball sometimes, I was so pleased to be doing sport again because I finally felt as if I was "normal" again!
    If anyone has started Pe again and found difficulty with any sports then ur posts would be very welcome, or if anyone jus wants to have a chat about pre op life then I will be willing to talk.
    Love Julesxxxx
    15 with a 50 degree curve
    Had surgery now have 2 metal rods in my back

Hi Jules!

I remember getting to go back to pe after my surgery. It was great! The backache is probably because your muscles aren't used to the work any more. Just remember to stop if the pain goes from a little to a lot. I didn't stop a few times and boy did I regret it later!!

Congrats!!

Comment

I just started gym too. My high school actually offers many gym classes (Lifetime Sports, Yoga, Outdoor Education, Dance, Team Sports). My class is Lifeline, which is basically going to the fitness center (like a health club in the school) and doing whatever you want under the supervision of a teacher. Its been great because I can work on my flexibility and endurance and avoid activities that would put my back in jeopardy. The only problem so far has been jump roping - not a good idea on my part.

Good luck all!
      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
      L2 to T4
      Braced for 4 years
      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Wow that sounds really good, good luck with that!
        At my school the group rotates which sports we do, for example we are going to do a couple of weeks of basketball and waterpolo, and perhaps going to the gym, whihc is good but I may not be able to do all the sports straight away!
        Did you find when you first started sport that you were worried that someone was going to elbow you in your back or that you were going to get hit by a ball or anything coz I am constantly worried and looking out incase anything happens
        Love to everyone Julesxxxxx
        15 with a 50 degree curve
        Had surgery now have 2 metal rods in my back

Comment

Oh, I can't WAIT to go back to PE and sports... That's the thing I miss the most... Not being able to do sports... I'm not in school yet, I only had my surgery in August. But, I am a fast healer, so I hope I can participate in sports earlier than they said (About a year or so)...
          Larari
          Two Curves
          One was in low 40's
          One in high 30's
          Braced for eight months
          Curves got worse
          The one in the 40's was now in the 60's
          The one in the 30's was now in the high 50's
          Surgery 8/25/04
          1 and 1/2 inches taller

Comment

Working...