Using crutches I need advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using crutches I need advice...

So it seems I am to be put on crutches after falling twice in 2 hours yesterday on the same foot. They don't think it's broken ...but it is in the middle on my foot off to one side...

I am so irritated because the doctor and nurses at the ER were short with me when I expressed my concerns using crutches since I had fusion 13 months ago heck it all went down rudely too...

She came into the room and said "I looked at your xray I dont see a big time fracture so I don't know what's wrong" ...dh and I exchange glances...

She says we're going to put you in a hard sole shoe and get you crutches...I said ..well I had fusion 13 months ago and I cannot lean into anything like that...she said "What do you mean fusion?" ...dh and I look at each other again..I explained that I had my spine fused to correct my scoliosis and I do NOT bend...she said what do you mean ..do you just lay in bed all the time? WTH????? yeah and THAT was the doctor...

So in came the nurse with the shoe and crutches... the nurse told me with a shortness.. well you can take the crutches or go find a wheelchair its up to you....that was after I told him I feared using them because I KNOW I am not stable on my feet and my upper body strength is NOT yet up to par...I was just scared but they didn't get it...just seemed irritated with my worries...

I don't know how to really use them folks....I am so MAD because I cannot lay in bed for the next week or 2 waiting for the ability to put weight on my foot again....I spent so much time in bed last summer...this was MY summer ...this is the FIRST summer I have had in years.... What do I do? All I was given was a hard soled shoe and these stupid crutches...using them just 5 minutes and between my shoulder blades is KILLING ME!! I just want to cry....
    My One Crooked Momma blog
    Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
    From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

Hi...

Sorry about your foot, and your rough time in the ER. Sounds like you were there at a time when the MD was having a bad day (no excuse, but a possible explanation).

At 13 months, I'm guessing that you're probably pretty solidly fused. You should check with your surgeon, but I bet he tells you it's OK to use the crutches. Or, if you want to play it safe, you can rent a wheelchair from any hospital supply store.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi,

A few years ago I broke my foot and was put in one of those 'boot' contraptions. It's like a removable cast. Is that what you were given? Within a week, I could walk around with the boot on, but not using the crutches and there was no pain. Did they say how long you had to use the crutches? Did they give you any pain meds or just say to use motrin?

I hope you feel better soon. I remember the crutches really stink.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Nope I was just given a hard sole shoe.....a boot would be a better help..but alas just one of those post operative shoes...

I don't worry about my back and the crutches..it is the difficulty of me utilizing them...Since I am so straight up and down leaning doesn't happen...I'm trying to use just my arms but I honestly just don't have that strength still...
        My One Crooked Momma blog
        Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
        From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

Comment

falling down

MMW,

Sorry to hear about your foot! Hope it gets better quickly. no more falling down ok!!!!!!
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X