Back is waking up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back is waking up!

Well here I am with some questions! I've not been doing too bad considering, but it seems I am feeling pain where I didn't before. I have a lot of numbness in my back, but it seems some areas are waking up a bit, shoulder blades and lower back. Also, I know this is normal, but my back is spasing a lot. This does not hurt as much as it is uncomfortable feeling. I came home with prescriptions for pain and norontin for nerves. Is the Norontin supposed to help with the spasms? I'm not taking the norontin because I don't like how I feel on these, kink of rubbery.

Thanks!
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Wow! do you know how encouraging your post was to those of us still waiting for surgery? You are awake and alert enough to post and let us know how it's going. I'm scheduled for my discogram this Thursday and then hopefully we'll get something scheduled. This waiting on this side of surgery is rough. Hope you continue to improve!!
    Sheree
    Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
    Had two children
    Back started hurting more around age 52
    Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
    Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
    Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
    Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
    My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Dolores,

I was never given nerve meds, so I can't tell you about that. Over time, less and less of my back is numb. My husband tells me that the 'numbness' line moves. He knows because he's the poor guy who always has to rub the spasms.

I think that muscle relaxants are the meds that are supposed to help with the spasms. Actually I'm in the midst of a doozie right now. I've got to rip this bra off--LOL. I only take the muscle relaxants if/when I need them. I was given a bottle of 90 in February and I probably have at least half the bottle left. As a matter of fact, Feb was the first time I had any muscle spasms and it was quite bad, so that's when I called and got the RX.

From what others tell me, this gets better over time. I know that when I overdo it, I get them more often. Sometimes though, I get them and I don't know what I did to cause it. And for me, it's always in the same place--on the inside of the left shoulder blade.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

back waking up!

Delores,

I lost all of my numbess about 2 or 3 weeks ago which I am VERY surprised at. I had the lateral approach and my side is not numb at all and my back hardly has any numbness at all. Only very lightly on the surface of the skin. I had a mini tummy tuck after my second son was born (10yrs ago) just to have excess skin removed(I had very big babies) before my bodybuilding competitions and that is still very numb. They did nothing to the muscles and didn't have to move any fatty tissue. It drives me nuts that to this day my whole belly is numb.

I am either very luck or had a great surgeon for my scoli opperation. I like to think the later of the two :O) He is such a nice man and great doc that one can only think good things about him. Even my husband really likes him and that doesn't happen often with doctors for him lol.
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Wow! I'm totally amazed. I'm almost 3 months and am totally numb down the length of my spine and out about 3 inches on each side. The only thing that is better is my behind! It's not totally numb anymore but it certainly is around the tops of my hips. I'm jealous! My third daughter was a C-section and I swear I was numb there for 20 years. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Yes, the neurontin should have an effect on muscle spasms.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by dolores a View Post
              Well here I am with some questions! I've not been doing too bad considering, but it seems I am feeling pain where I didn't before. I have a lot of numbness in my back, but it seems some areas are waking up a bit, shoulder blades and lower back. Also, I know this is normal, but my back is spasing a lot. This does not hurt as much as it is uncomfortable feeling. I came home with prescriptions for pain and norontin for nerves. Is the Norontin supposed to help with the spasms? I'm not taking the norontin because I don't like how I feel on these, kink of rubbery.

Thanks!

Dolores,

The surreal sensation of the Neurontin/Gabapentin passes after 4-5 days. You cannot take it sporadically and get past that phase.

It only *somewhat* helped the spasms for me ... Valium or Robaxin (and don't forget to try ICE) helps that.

You're about where you're going to experience itching from misfiring nerves (if you're among the group that gets it ... not everyone does ... I had it horribly, and still do to some extent), and only Neurontin/Gabapentin or Lyrica is truly effective for that.

I did find a few other distractions for itching (scratching is NOT one ... it seems to make things spread): Tiger Balm ointment (won't blister you) worked for me at times, as did ice packs.

At 16 months post-op, I still take Gabapentin - and I still itch (I had the same issue with a large knee surgery in '92 ... some of us are just lucky that way). I rarely have thoracic muscle spasms these days, but when I do, 10 minutes of ice does the trick. I screwed up and used heat for muscle spasms at first, and a good friend on here told me about the benefits of ice. When you spasm, the muscles are usually inflamed and irritated ... heat just exaccerbates that issue.

Hang in there,
              Pam
              Last edited by txmarinemom; 06-28-2009, 11:47 PM. Reason: addendum ... current itching/numbness status ;-)
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi everyone, and thanks for all the advice. Pam, actually now that you mention the use of the Norontin, I remember now someone in the hospital did mention something about having to be on this medication for awhile for it to work. What I especially like in all of your answers are the little hints on what it might be like for me down the road as I go!

Janet don't get me wrong, I still have a lot of numbness, also around the tops of my butt. I've been following your progress and you also are an encouragement to me!

And Debbei, I know what you mean about the bra, I only put one on when I go outside (I really don't even need one!) very uncomfortable.

Timetofaceit, this site helped me when I was deciding on surgery also, good luck in all your decisions and appointments!
                Dolores A
                Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

ice pick pains!

Just as I was so happy not to have numbness or itching I do have two spots tonight that hurt like an ice pick is sticking me. I'm sure it's nerves regrowing and healing themselves but I am not appreciating it at all. I also am having trouble with my brace again so it could also be that....forever a guessing game.

Pam, you are so right about ice. When things are inflammed and irritated ice is the way to go not heat Heat just brings more blood flow to the area and makes it worse....for me at least!
                  Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                  50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                  Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                  X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                  Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                  Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                  Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi Susan,

Yesterday I had this type of shooting pain that lasted maybe 5 seconds, did not hurt so much as it was just a very strange feeling. About your brace, how long do you have to where it? I also was fitted for one, though it never fit quite right (too big, even after they cut a couple of inches off on either side). When I went for my first follow-up with my surgeon, I asked how important it was that I wear it, he told me I did not have to wear it anymore. I think originally he wanted be to wear it for six weeks.
                    Dolores A
                    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

Working...
                    X