12-Week Appt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-Week Appt.

For some reason this is my 4th time trying to post. It keeps disappearing on me--very strange. This will be the short version.
    I saw Dr. Lenke in St. Louis last week and got a good report. I've updated my signature with degrees of curve--I didn't realize they were that bad before surgery--and the correction. Actually had a 3rd one at the top most doctors never mentioned. That was 60 down to 42. All my aches and pains--shoulder blades, right side, neck were completely normal, I guess.
    My main concern was my left side that tilts from the hips up. It isn't very noticeable in back but is from front. He thought it wouldn't get worse and might possibly correct somewhat. He said since my ribs were so deformed--mostly into right side of back--it had to essentially go if I understood correctly. I just haven't heard of anyone on here who has this lean thing. Anyone??
    He was mystified as to why I can't walk outside without side of hips hurting. Said use treadmill. Went to gym and went 22 minutes! So feel pretty good about everything. There are better days ahead for those just starting this journey. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

OMG Janet, that is a fantastic correction!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

WOWIE!! Congratulations on your wonderful correction. How much height did you gain from all of that correction?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Janet,
        I'm glad everything is going so well. That truly is an impressive correction! I am eight weeks post surgery and my left hip often hurts after a time when I walk outside. My dr suggested jell inserts for my walking shoes to help with the impact, and not trying to walk too fast. Both suggestions are working for me. I can walk further with the jell inserts before the pain begins, and if I slow my pace for a a minute or two when the pain begins my hip stops hurting and I am able too resume a more normal walking pace. Hope this helps.
        -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
        Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
        Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
        Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

wonderful

dear janet
          how wonderful!! CONGRATULATIONS! what great news...

continued good luck & good healing!! you're an inspiration! i am "still considering"...

jess(jrnyc)

Comment

Thanks everyone! And Jo thanks for the walking advice too. I actually did come home and purchase better running-ha!- shoes. And I did buy the special inserts but don't think they are gel. They may be helping a bit.
            When measured it was just 1-1/2 inches more. Our own measurements were more like 2 inches. But considering how much I was losing I'll take it. He said he had to do 6 osteotomies in the big curve to be able to manuever the spine. Ouch! Also have 2 cages. He didn't want me to start p.t. until 6 months to let the muscles heal. I do just "bed" and a few standing exercises that I was given early on. That and aqua p.t. is still OK. I was sort of hoping to start with land p.t. but I understand it is too soon. Is 6 months about when most start? Janet
            Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
              I was sort of hoping to start with land p.t. but I understand it is too soon. Is 6 months about when most start? Janet
              Hi Janet,
              6 months is when I started land PT.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                i am "still considering"...jess(jrnyc)
                While you’re still considering, keep in mind that if Obama succeeds in universalizing our health care, scoliosis surgery could very well become one of those procedures that the beaurocrats decide is too expensive. Universal healthcare is rationed healthcare. Just ask our neighbors to the north.

Comment

Chris--
                  Won't get into details but afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I do appreciate your view and concern though. Janet
                  Janet

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS View Post
                    While you’re still considering, keep in mind that if Obama succeeds in universalizing our health care, scoliosis surgery could very well become one of those procedures that the beaurocrats decide is too expensive. Universal healthcare is rationed healthcare. Just ask our neighbors to the north.
                    Rather than "hijacking" this thread, how about starting a new one? It's a great topic.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

oh Janet,
                      Congrats! you have exactly the same curves that I have. (I think we talked about this before) I really whish I could get the same correction that you have! My surgery will be anterior and posterior though...
                      They gave me the official dates August 24th and the 27th. Ahhhh now I just have to wait! It's the worse...Also I'm so stressed out about my insurance not authorizing my surgeries. uufff
                      But I'm so glad about your corrections!!! good job!
                      Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
                      Now age 32
                      Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
                      Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
                      Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
                      Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
                      Dr. Robert Pashman
                      Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
                      Before and after xrays :
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Comment

Janet-- it's great to hear you are doing so well. Hooray!!!

Other than very basic PT immediately following my surgery (as in walking, etc.) I wasn't released to do any PT until 6 months-- and that was for arm and leg strengthening. My surgeon didn't release me to do any core strengthening until 11 months post-op. Everyone is different-- both with our abilities, strengths/weaknesses, and how our surgeons view the post-op period. And I'm pretty sure they take that on a case by case basis with many of their patients.

Best wishes as you continue down the recovery road.
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Janet,

I know I'm not ready for physical therapy yet, but what is land PT?
                          Dolores A
                          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Janet's great correction

that is an awesome Janet! yaaaaa for you :O) I found I fatigued very quickly outside walking but for me I think the heat was the culprit. My elliptical is working great for me though and no impact. I have been more stiff at night in bed but I think that the muscles are just getting back into the grove. I have been told by my husband and mother in law to slow down that I am doing to much. Today I would agree, I am feeling sluggish........going to rest! I just want to get well fast so I can take care of my darling baby myself!
                            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi--
                              Land p.t. is just as opposed to water/aqua p.t. I didn't know either. Had never heard the term. I'm having a couple sore days too. Last week after appt. etc. I was on a roll and now I'm paying for it. Also yesterday my overall p.t. guy said oh but it's OK to do some leg strengthening which I thought was probably true and then had me try to lean over an exercise ball on one of the tables. I didn't do any but for short times and I didn't think the ball thing was a good idea.
                              I'm confused since Dr. Lenke and later his nurse said it's OK to start doing a little bending. The lady who reviewed my exercises said NO bending. I've noticed such varied advice on here too. My p.t. guy said if you don't start slightly now you'll never have any bending ability at all if you wait a year. I originally thought that's what it was.
                              Also besides the tilting issue I'm noticing more the deformity of my ribs that is still there. Still much more pronounced on one side and pretty caved in on the other. Yes, it's tons better since I'm not squished down anymore but I guess I didn't realize it was like this until recently. I'm sure it has a lot to do with swelling. I guess I'm being too picky but I wanted it almost all OK after all of this! Janet
                              Janet

Comment

Working...
                              X