Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job interview with brace?

Hi all,

I've been called in for a job interview on Tuesday but I have no idea what to do about my brace. I don't want it to be visible as I've been rejected for a job in the past due to my scoliosis and don't want them to think I have some disability and can't do the work (It's an office type job). My brace is a bending Taylor brace if that helps. I have no idea what to wear to hide it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
    46° curve
    Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

I had an interview for a practicum position, 5 weeks after my surgery. I drove to the interview (my first time driving after surgery), and I left my brace in the car and put it on when I returned to the car. MY interview took place up one flight of stairs and then I was seated for about a half an hour while 3 people interviewed me. I was fine and just put the brace on when I got back to my car. I don't know the kind of brace you have, if it comes off easily or what but mine just snaps off easily. Some may think this is dishonest but you will certainly be at a disadvantage if you wear the brace and in these economic times you really have to be at your best.
    I wish you much luck in your job hunting endeavor.
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Did you feel unstable or uncomfortable during the interview? Just want to make sure I won't have an odd posture or walk funny or anything like that. I might take the train to the interview so I may not wear it at all as I'd have nowhere to keep it. Hope I'll be ok
      Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
      46° curve
      Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

Hi...

I don't think it's a good idea to not wear your brace, as it could actually be pretty distracting if you're not used to being up and about without it. Most TLSO braces are pretty easy to hide under non-form-fitting clothes. When I was reccovering from surgery, I had half a dozen outfits that I could wear, where my brace was completely invisible.

Good luck with the job.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Wear a suit or skirt suit, the jacket should help make it less notcable and maybe even completely hide it. Dressing nicely is also important when going to an interview, a suit not only will make your brace less noticable it is also very dressy.
          They shouldn't judge your working ability by your brace, especially if it does not interefere. If it doesn't cause any problems let them know that if they ask about your Scoliosis.

Good Luck

Comment

i don't have anything that I could wear that would cover the brace. It was about a half to three quarters of an hour and I was obviously extremely careful. I know that any physical limitations can work against you and in my case, I can't afford to take the risk. I needed to either get the position based on my skills and didn't want my physical problems to enter into it. I certainly understand Linda what you said about not wearing the brace but I do think it's a case of knowing your body and your own limitations. Truthfully, I was really upset that I had to drive to that interview because I could not get a ride from anyone and I had already missed one interview because of the surgery. I was going up to Boston on the train and I got invited to interview the following week. i asked if there was anyway I could interview after the surgery and a couple of weeks into recovery and they gave me a firm no.
            avis
            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
              i don't have anything that I could wear that would cover the brace. It was about a half to three quarters of an hour and I was obviously extremely careful. I know that any physical limitations can work against you and in my case, I can't afford to take the risk. I needed to either get the position based on my skills and didn't want my physical problems to enter into it. I certainly understand Linda what you said about not wearing the brace but I do think it's a case of knowing your body and your own limitations. Truthfully, I was really upset that I had to drive to that interview because I could not get a ride from anyone and I had already missed one interview because of the surgery. I was going up to Boston on the train and I got invited to interview the following week. i asked if there was anyway I could interview after the surgery and a couple of weeks into recovery and they gave me a firm no.
              avis
              Avis...did you get the job?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                Avis...did you get the job?
                My question exactly!

No way would I have been able to go for an interview at 5 weeks! I am amazed you could even think of it. Were you off your drugs? I was so dopey on mine.

Good on you Avis, I hope your efforts were successful.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I am a 58 year old grad student and this was for my psychotherapy practicum, which doesn't start until the end of August. If it was for a job that was starting in a week or two, I wouldn't have gone to the interview because I wouldn't be able to function. I am hoping that I will be able to function without getting too tired come August. I should have clarified this. The interview for the job without the brace was nothing. If I had to do anymore than that even with the brace, it would not have been possible and to start a job that soon would have been impossible for me.
                  Avis
                  Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
                  X