Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertigo

Hi everyone,
    ...I'm wondering if any of you can help me. I have been having trouble with vertigo for few weeks now, and I'm wondering how common this is for people after scoli surgery. Who else out there has had this problem? When did it start? Stop? What helped?

I've read JenG's past posts and emailed her for advice a couple of weeks ago. She kindly shared everything she knew to try, and suggested I share my problem here.

My vertigo started when I was six weeks post surgery. I woke up in the night with the bedroom spinning. Since then I've had "spinning" trouble every time I change positions getting in and out of bed. The room just starts spinning and I have to lay back down or sit back up until it stops, then try again, moving extra slow. I also have very slight nausea most of the time since that first episode.

Today things got worse. I was just standing in my kitchen when the room began to spin and tilt. I couldn't tell which end was up! I lost my balance and fell to the floor. I did not fall hard enough to cause damage beyond soreness, but it was very scary!

My primary care had perscribed meclizine initially, which I never took because I thought I could manage the change of positions spinning without more meds which would only be a temporary fix. I read online that meclizine often prolongs the duration of symptoms which usually stop on there own after a few weeks. I also spoke to my with my surgeon who said he hasn't heard of too many people with this problem post surgery, but said that if it persists I should look into seeing an ENT.

Right now I am taking one 2mg tablet of Dilauded every five or six hours, which I know can cause dizziness, but I was taking so much more of it earlier on with no problem. Other than that I take 5mg of diazepam at bedtime and tylanol.

I made an appt for Friday afternoon with my primary care. I also left a message with my surgeon to let him know what happened today, and to ask if meclizine is okay for me to take incase my primary care still recommends that I take it.

I think I am doing everything I can on my own, but I'll take any suggestions anyone out there has that might help.

Thanks for listening. Jo
    -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
    Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
    Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
    Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Jo

The vertigo is scary stuff for sure. I had it once back in 1992 and it dissipated. The Dr told me that it was an inner ear virus.

I've had the dizzies after surgery, but not vertigo.

I guess the main thing is to not fall down. If you feel it coming on, you might kneel down right away.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Jo 71-09 View Post
      Hi everyone,
      ...I'm wondering if any of you can help me. I have been having trouble with vertigo for few weeks now, and I'm wondering how common this is for people after scoli surgery. Who else out there has had this problem? When did it start? Stop? What helped?

I've read JenG's past posts and emailed her for advice a couple of weeks ago. She kindly shared everything she knew to try, and suggested I share my problem here.

My vertigo started when I was six weeks post surgery. I woke up in the night with the bedroom spinning. Since then I've had "spinning" trouble every time I change positions getting in and out of bed. The room just starts spinning and I have to lay back down or sit back up until it stops, then try again, moving extra slow. I also have very slight nausea most of the time since that first episode.

Today things got worse. I was just standing in my kitchen when the room began to spin and tilt. I couldn't tell which end was up! I lost my balance and fell to the floor. I did not fall hard enough to cause damage beyond soreness, but it was very scary!

My primary care had perscribed meclizine initially, which I never took because I thought I could manage the change of positions spinning without more meds which would only be a temporary fix. I read online that meclizine often prolongs the duration of symptoms which usually stop on there own after a few weeks. I also spoke to my with my surgeon who said he hasn't heard of too many people with this problem post surgery, but said that if it persists I should look into seeing an ENT.

Right now I am taking one 2mg tablet of Dilauded every five or six hours, which I know can cause dizziness, but I was taking so much more of it earlier on with no problem. Other than that I take 5mg of diazepam at bedtime and tylanol.

I made an appt for Friday afternoon with my primary care. I also left a message with my surgeon to let him know what happened today, and to ask if meclizine is okay for me to take incase my primary care still recommends that I take it.

I think I am doing everything I can on my own, but I'll take any suggestions anyone out there has that might help.

Thanks for listening. Jo
      Hi...

Episodes of vertigo seem to be relatively common, but I don't think they're related to scoliosis or scoliosis surgery. (If they were, why would you suddenly have it starting 6 weeks postop?) It wouldn't surprise me if the dilauded was to blame. The effects of some medications can be cumulative.

One way or the other, I hope it goes away soon. I know how awful it can be.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Jo,

I had my surgery on June 8th and was fine in the hospital, but the very first day I got home and laid down on my bed, the whole room was spinning. When I got up again I was ok, but it happens every time I lay down to a prone position. I called my surgeon, he explained that this is not unusual. I've been home not quite a week yet and it seems to be a little better or I am just laying down much slower. I have not experienced any dizziness while standing or walking though.
        Dolores A
        June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
        June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
        Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
        NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Hi Jo, I'm so sorry to hear you're still having this problem. Mine started at 6 weeks also, right when the withdrawals started, so thought it was part of the withdrawals. But the dizziness continued long after the withdrawal symptoms dissipated.

As mentioned, my surgeon felt it was caused by the antibiotics given during surgery, but since it started so long after surgery, I wasn't sure that he was correct.

I can tell you that my dizziness slowed up, then started up again, a couple of times, for no known reason, but finally went at about 13-14 weeks post-op. It is very unpleasant and worrying but I'm sure it will pass, as mine did. Hopefully, soon!

Good luck!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Today I am sore and tired but otherwise okay. I must have fallen to one knee because it's very sore today along with my ankle, and bottom. I'm glad I was wearing my brace. I'm sure that it helped protect me from bending or twisting too badly. It's an unfortunate, but good idea to have a plan to drop to my knees if it happens again though. I will ask about the dilauded at my appt tomorrow. And Jen, I'm so glad your vertigo seems to have passed.

Thanks everyone.
            -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
            Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
            Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
            Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

vertigo

Jo, I hope you feel better soon and this Vertigo passes. Not that this will be of any help but I had a period of Vertigo about two years ago which I believe to be caused by progression of my curve and having migraines. I never saw a doctor for it. It just passed on it's own, but it took some time. I only mention this becasue I am just curious if anyone else ever had that problem BEFORE surgery. Good luck Jo. Becareful and hope you feel better soon.
              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X