Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to site, surgery coming up.

Hello All!

My name is Debbie (Bionic Woman) and I will be having surgery July 6th. While waiting for my approval to post on the forum, I've been reading your postings and want to thank all of you for sharing your stories. They have been very encouraging!

I'm 49 and was diagnosed at around age 17. I have tried everything from bracing to drugs to chiropractic to decompression therapy (which was torturous). I have finally gotten to the point that my pain is constant and so severe that I've been off work since May 30th. I have seen 4 different surgeons which all said the same thing. I tried the pain management injections to no avail. So, like all of you, surgery is the last thing left to do. My surgeon is going to try to only fuse T11 to L5, however, most likely will need to do T10 all the way down.

I put my user name as Bionic Woman because unfortunately, I've had several other surgeries that involve "hardware". I have a screw in my left knee from ACL reconstructive surgery and a right total knee replacement. So I figured since I'll have so much hardware in my back, I'm getting closer and closer to being a Bionic Woman!! lol. Anyway, I would appreciate any advice as to what I can expect after surgery, and since I won't be able to squat due to my knee replacement, if there are any alternatives to squatting.

Thanks!!
    Debbie

Hi Debbie and welcome...

Did you sign up for the surgery of the month club? ;-)

Sorry to hear that you're going to have to have surgery. Like you, I tried a bunch of stuff before finally giving in to the idea of having surgery. And, like you, the decision became very easy in the end.

If you have to have the T10-S1 or T10-pelvis surgery, it won't be the end of the world. Either way, that's a relatively short fusion, as a large percentage of adults have to have fusions that go from the upper thoracic spine down to the lower lumbar spine. I assume that your surgeon has told you that stopping at L5 is going to put you at risk of having to fuse to S1 or the pelvis at a later time. Some people are willing to take that risk, while others want to get it all done at once. Here are links to a few studies on the subject:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...gdbfrom=pubmed

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Debbie

Welcome. Such familiar stories! I've done the decompression therapy, and know what you mean about torture. It did cure my sciatica however! It was on a Vax D machine.

You must have a good one down low! I say that to all the ladies.LOL (future sacrum fusion candidates)

The squatting question needs to be addressed. Why cant you squat? Were all professional squatters around here! LOL
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thank you so much Linda. I appreciate any info anyone gives. It has been mentioned before that after any spinal fusion, you always have to worry about the vertebrae above and below. God willing, I won't mess myself up to have to go any further. Thanks again!

Comment

Squatting

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          Hi Debbie

Welcome. Such familiar stories! I've done the decompression therapy, and know what you mean about torture. It did cure my sciatica however! It was on a Vax D machine.

You must have a good one down low! I say that to all the ladies.LOL (future sacrum fusion candidates)

The squatting question needs to be addressed. Why cant you squat? Were all professional squatters around here! LOL
          Ed
          Hi Ed:
          I can't squat because I've had a knee replacement and there is only so far that you can bend your knee before you risk dislocation. Fun huh?
          Debbie

Comment

Hi Debbie, my fusion is similar to the one you're having. Are you having anterior/posterior surgery or just posterior?

I couldn't squat for a few months after my surgery because of temporary leg weakness. I did a kind of half-squat a lot and used grabbers constantly. I couldn't do things like feed the cat or wipe up something on the floor for quite a while.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Bionic Woman View Post
              Anyway, I would appreciate any advice as to what I can expect after surgery, and since I won't be able to squat due to my knee replacement, if there are any alternatives to squatting.

Thanks!!
              Debbie
              Yes, I've forgotten what it's called, but it's how golfers pick up things. You lean on a club with one hand, then lean forward, swinging the opposite leg up. You can also use grabbers to pick things up. That's a very valuable tool while you're recovering. You may get one from the OT staff at the hospital. If not, you can buy them at almost any drugstore.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

welcome

Debbie..ie Bionic Woman,

Welcome to the forum! I had my surgery almost 9 weeks ago which seems hard to believe how fast time has passed. I hope you find all the answers and comfort that you are looking for prior to your surgery. I think most will tell you the waiting is the worst. It certainly is not easy but it you trust your surgeon and have done your home work and also it sounds like you've tried many other methods to deal with you scoli you are making the right choice. I am already able to do 30 minutes on my elliptical trainer. Two weeks ago I was still getting sick. I have surgical.healing aches and pains but the pain I had prior to my surgery is gone:O) I am very happy I made this decision! Good luck!
                Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  Yes, I've forgotten what it's called, but it's how golfers pick up things. You lean on a club with one hand, then lean forward, swinging the opposite leg up. You can also use grabbers to pick things up. That's a very valuable tool while you're recovering. You may get one from the OT staff at the hospital. If not, you can buy them at almost any drugstore.

Regards,
                  Linda
                  It's kind of like an arabesque in dancing! I use that method all of the time, especially if I have to get something out of a chest cooler or chest freezer ( think beer cooler in a bar).
                  Geish
                  47 years old, dx at 13
                  +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                  Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                  http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                  http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Squatting

Originally posted by Singer View Post
                    Hi Debbie, my fusion is similar to the one you're having. Are you having anterior/posterior surgery or just posterior?

I couldn't squat for a few months after my surgery because of temporary leg weakness. I did a kind of half-squat a lot and used grabbers constantly. I couldn't do things like feed the cat or wipe up something on the floor for quite a while.
                    I'm supposed to be having posterior only, but of course, being in the medical field I know that this is subject to change. I'm sure grabbers are going to be my new best friend!! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
                      Debbie..ie Bionic Woman,

Welcome to the forum! I had my surgery almost 9 weeks ago which seems hard to believe how fast time has passed. I hope you find all the answers and comfort that you are looking for prior to your surgery. I think most will tell you the waiting is the worst. It certainly is not easy but it you trust your surgeon and have done your home work and also it sounds like you've tried many other methods to deal with you scoli you are making the right choice. I am already able to do 30 minutes on my elliptical trainer. Two weeks ago I was still getting sick. I have surgical.healing aches and pains but the pain I had prior to my surgery is gone:O) I am very happy I made this decision! Good luck!
                      I'm extremely blessed that I do trust my surgeon and have heard great things about him. I work at a plasma donation center and our center medical director knows my surgeon and actually used his practice (different surgeon) for an elbow surgery. Also, the last surgeon I saw (I got 4 separate opinions) actually trained under my surgeon and said that he was capable and willing to do my surgery, but if I was looking for experience and success rates, to go back to my other surgeon. I really thought that was quite an ethical thing to do. I don't know of many other surgeons that would refer you back to someone else! I also know that God is in control and He is a bigger surgeon that will be guiding my surgeon's hands. Can't do anything other than come out perfectly!! Yes the waiting is hard. I just want it to be over and start my healing process!! Thanks to all for the responses, it really does help to talk to others in the same boat!
                      Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post

Regards,
                        Linda
                        Does this method work if you are fused to the sacrum? They are trying to avoid doing that by only going to L5, however, as I said in another reply, I know this is subject to change once they get in there. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bionic Woman View Post
                          Hello All!

I would appreciate any advice as to what I can expect after surgery, and since I won't be able to squat due to my knee replacement, if there are any alternatives to squatting.

Thanks!!
                          Debbie
                          Hi Debbie,
                          Dr. Rand told me squatting in not good for the knees and told me to go down on one knee. That way neither knee is bent much more than 90 degrees. It's a whole lot easier getting up from that position than it is from a squat after fusion surgery. Try it and let us know what you think.
                          Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

considering

dear debbie
                            read your thread w/interest....i think your courage will be what really makes you bionic....

i am considering fusion A/P, w/ A from L4-sacrum, & P from T 11-S 1 w/bilateral pelvic fixation...am terrified () of the "fixation" ("getting fixed" is the joke way i say it) but doctors tell me due to herniated discs & other spinal problems(stenosis, degenerative disc disease, osteopenia, arthritis)) it wouldnt be stable to do it without the fixation...have you been told that too??

i havent made a decision yet...wish you the best of luck with yours...i am still consulting with other drs before i decide..time matters to me as i am older...

best of luck
                            jess

Comment

Considering

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                              dear debbie
                              read your thread w/interest....i think your courage will be what really makes you bionic....

i am considering fusion A/P, w/ A from L4-sacrum, & P from T 11-S 1 w/bilateral pelvic fixation...am terrified () of the "fixation" ("getting fixed" is the joke way i say it) but doctors tell me due to herniated discs & other spinal problems(stenosis, degenerative disc disease, osteopenia, arthritis)) it wouldnt be stable to do it without the fixation...have you been told that too??

i havent made a decision yet...wish you the best of luck with yours...i am still consulting with other drs before i decide..time matters to me as i am older...

best of luck
                              jess
                              Hi Jess,
                              I haven't been told the same thing, however, I do know that sometimes people end up having to have above and below fusions after initial fusions due to the hyperextension that occurs after. I went to 4 different Orthopedic Surgeons out of 4 different hospitals in my area before I made my decision. I'm in Michigan between Ann Arbor and Detroit, so if you know the area, I went to St Joseph Mercy, Henry Ford, Oakwood Hospitals and ended up with Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak. Beaumont is a very well known hospital in this area. Pretty much up there with U of M Hospital. Take your time in your decision. You said you are older, but I'm not sure what that means. I'm 49 and know I'm no longer "young", but don't view that age as older since I'm there now, lol!!! Anyway, I did a lot of research on the internet on my Dr. and was blessed with the fact that where I work, my center medical director knows my surgeon and had good things to say about him as I posted earlier. Is there anyone in your family that is able to help you in your decision? Don't know what I'd do without my family and my church family! Take care and let us know what you decide. My surgery is July 6th.
                              Deb

Comment

Working...
                              X