Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funny feeling in my shoulder blade...

Hey everyone.

It's been a while since I've been back at the scoliosis forum. I love this place.

I already searched the forum about this, and couldn't find anything quite like what I'm feeling, so I'm posting a new thread. Starting yesterday I have this weird itchy sensation right along my left shoulder blade. When I go to scratch it I can't find the itch and the skin feels numb. The majority of my lower back is numb and has been since my surgery 8 years ago, but my upper back has never been numb. It is a consistent itch/prickly feeling that won't go away and I'm starting to worry a bit because it's driving me CRAZY. Has anyone experienced something like this? I don't think it's close enough to my spine to be a loose screw or hook. I haven't done any jarring physical activity in the last couple days. I'd call my doctor, but it always takes at least two months to get into to see him, so I thought I'd check here first!

Thanks guys!

Lisa
    lisanicolegrace
    29/F/Canada
    Surgery - 11/10/2000
    80° curve to 19° post op.
    www.lisanicolegrace.com
    @lisanicolegrace
    facebook
    x-rays
    picture of my back

Hi Lisa...

I don't have the exact situation, but I have had numbness and phantom itching in my left shoulder blade almost the entire 15 years since my surgery. I also have occasional light pain that feels like someone has snapped a rubber band attached to my shoulder blade. I've always thought it was probably scar tissue, but that's just a guess.

I hope it goes away (for both of us), but I'm not all that optimistic in my case.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I get that itchiness around my left shoulder blade too, but when I ask my husband to scratch it, it's numb and I cannot feel it. Of course I'm only 8 months post op. Actually I mentioned to my physical therapist this morning and she said it's normal. I hope it goes away for you as mysteriously as it appeared. Good thing to be safe and get checked out though.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I know exactly what you mean, and yes I have had the itching and numbness. It was explained to me on NSF that is feels like this because of the nerve endings being a little bit damaged during the surgery. I also have a spot near one of the hooks that is just about as bad.

I don't feel it all the time but at times it still flares up, that isn't going to make you feel a lot better lisanicholle, is it, but at least you know you aren't alone with this problem , it drives me nuts as well.

Regards
        Lorraine (Macky)
        Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
        Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Working...
        X