Shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower

How long was it until you could stand up in the shower without a brace?

I am 4 weeks post op next tuesday and my dr. says it's okay to stand up in the shower without my brace...

I don't feel like I'm ready/I'm a little scared too

Good Morning crystalalice,

It looks like I had my surgery about two weeks after yours, I imagine every surgeon has different guidelines as to when you can resume doing different activities, mine told me I could take a shower when I returned home from the hospital which was about 8 days after my surgery. He did not say if I could stand or sit, but my husband got me this great shower seat from Bed, Bath and Beyond which I use with a hand held shower head. I'm going to ask him this thursday at my appt. if I can stand or not. I think for me it's just for security reasons that I like the seat in the shower. The surgeon told you to shower with the brace? That's also something I did not think to ask also. I wear one of those turtle shell type braces (hate it). Anyway how is your progress coming along?
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Originally posted by crystalalice88 View Post
      How long was it until you could stand up in the shower without a brace?

I am 4 weeks post op next tuesday and my dr. says it's okay to stand up in the shower without my brace...

I don't feel like I'm ready/I'm a little scared too
      I didn't have a brace, and for me I was still scared to stand in the shower. I used the shower seat for about 2 weeks after I got home.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I also had a shower seat and hand held shower for my daughter. I helped her for about a month in the shower because she was anemic which made her weak and light-headed. I was concerned the heat and steam would make her dizzy (which it did). Ask someone to help you get safely in and out until you feel confident to do so on your own.

Comment

Two weeks after surgery, I was able to stand in the shower without my brace. It was my favorite part of every day during recovery.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Besides my regular brace which I had to wear ‘round the clock, I had another brace specifically made for wearing while showering, so every time I took a shower I had to remove my turtle shell and put on my shower brace. I did use a shower chair for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie View Post
              I also had a shower seat and hand held shower for my daughter. I helped her for about a month in the shower because she was anemic which made her weak and light-headed. I was concerned the heat and steam would make her dizzy (which it did). Ask someone to help you get safely in and out until you feel confident to do so on your own.
              Early on, when I closed my eyes in the shower (if I were standing) I'd get dizzy. My husband also installed a shower rail which I hung onto for dear life. The dizzies passed after a while. I still love my shower rail.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Wow, taking a shower without my brace with the highlight of each day. I took my shower in the morning, while my husband was there to watch over me. If I got dizzy or tired, he was there to help me out and dry me off. I did have a shower chair, which was borrowed. Health insurance would not cover a shower chair, but it did cover my walker which I used one day and ditched!
                Go figure...
                Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I am 2 1/2 months post op and just now showering mostly by myself but I still need help getting over the side of the tub. My left leg is sore which I am guessing is from the fact that they went in over my left hip to remove the discs, anyways.....My husband will usually hang out in the bedroom and I yell out if I need help. I also have very long hair that just isn't fun to have to wash and brush. I still have to have him brush it. Time to chop it off!!!! In the beginning though I hated to shower it was exhausting. Oh the tasks that use to be so easy..............
                  Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                  50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                  Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                  X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                  Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                  Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                  Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X