• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Angle Breathing

A.K.A
    Rotational Breathing Method
    Rotational Angle Breathing
    (RAB)

RAB is important when using the Schroth Method and i have only had a brief introduction to it.
    Can those with a little more experience - confirm whether or not the following is correct? It confuses me

Supine Position:

Using Diaphragm breathing
    On inhale, restrict chest movement & force belly to rise as lungs are filled
    (Eventually belly and chest rise together)

Left Thoracic (Me)
    Inhale - Direct breath into the concavity (opposite side of rib hump)
    Exhale 1 - contract abdominal muscles on the right
    Exhale 2 - contract ribs on back left
    Exhale 3 - coordinate both exhale movements together

Right Thoracic (Most Other People)
    Inhale - Direct breath into the concavity (opposite side of rib hump)
    Exhale 1 - contract abdominal muscles on the left
    Exhale 2 - contract ribs on back right
    Exhale 3 - coordinate both exhale movements together

Note: Can't be integrated into the corrective techniques of Schroth unless the trunk is elongated as much as possible and the concavities are relieved of pressure.

Reference:
    Three Dimensional Treatment for Scholiosis
    Christa Lehnert-Schroth PT
    Pages 1 and 30

hey mamamax...it seems like you basically have it right, although that's a little more specific than what i was taught i think. obviously, since everyone's scoliosis is different, it's important to have a certified schroth practitioner observe you, give you a specific program, explain your scoliosis to you, etc. they have a specific system for determining what kind of scoliosis you have which is kind of above my understanding (for example, when i went for therapy, i was classified and treated as a "four curve" scoliosis even though i don't actually have four major curves). i admit, i don't understand that completely. however, now that i know what i'm supposed to be doing to help myself, i realize how wrong i was in my thinking of some of the stuff i was doing before learning schroth (i.e. PT and yoga poses).

as for the actual breathing, in my particular case (right thoracolumbar curve and minor compensatory left thoracic curve), i'm supposed to focus on keeping my right hip back, bringing the left thoracolumbar part of my back forward and inward, and keeping my right shoulder back. in contrary, on the opposite side, i'm working on expanding my concave area outward and backward. this is done by taking a deep breath and focusing on where to direct that breath. it's then held in an isometric contraction on the exhale. it's a lot to think about and focus on, and it's not going to be perfect each time. however, it does get easier with time.

essentially, in scoliosis, with a lateral curve, the vertebrae are also more than likely rotated outward and backward (i.e. rotated). this would be the convex side. therefore, when doing schroth, you're always striving to bring the convex side inward and forward. on the opposite side (concave), you're always striving to move the vertebrae outward and backward.

does that make sense??

Comment

Makes perfect sense - thank you Emmy!

Comment

Here is a video of Dr. Lamantia instructing a patient in RAB (he has been trained at the Schroth Clinic in Germany). This is exactly how it was taught to me and i am delighted to see it available on the Internet. Thank you DrL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdfUVlfwc04

PLEASE NOTE:

This demonstration is for those with a left thoracic curve. Directions would be reversed for those with a right thoracic curve (very important). I see you have noted that - just repeating here in case it was missed by any reader.

Finally some directions I don't have to reverse as such things prove a little difficult for me (a vistibular thing :-)

Comment

Mamamax:
          Did you actually go to see a Schroth practitioner then? How was it?
          Re: the breathing, I try to imagine the diaphram inverting on the inhale, and imagine it inverting in the restricted areas. You probably need someone to tell you where those spots are on you.

(FYI) I went to a talk a few years ago where some researchers studied whether it is possible to contract specific parts of a muscle, and they concluded it is. One only needs to watch a belly dancer to know that! The study subjects were actually belly dancers.
          Bettina:
          - 34 year old physiotherapist
          - main curve of 3 is mid-thoracic convex, approx 37 d.
          - my goal: to stay as upright, strong and painfree as I can, as long as I can.

Comment

Schroth RAB

Betty14

The doctor i've received my brace from has been to the Schroth clinic in Germany and is certified to teach this breathing method and other exercises. He is also Spinecor certified. I've only had two one-on-one exercise sessions and will have a review in July.

It's funny - when in-session with the doctor, i understood the instructions perfectly and had no trouble following them. Once home - even with written instructions with pictures, i had great difficulty repeating the guidelines. This is just me, and not the fault of the instructor - and this has happened to me in the past when participating in physical therapy as well. I don't know why. Anyhow - that's why i was so glad to see the video as it brought it all back to me in a way i could use. The breathing method has variations depending on one's actual curve pattern and so it's important to understand the correct application - i would never advise someone to try this without proper guidance from a certified instructor.

How is it? Well, now that i've actually been doing this exercise for a few days (as prescribed for me), i would describe it as .. curious. I have a left/right thoracic/lumbar curve pattern. When doing this RAB exercise correctly - for lack of better terminology - all i can say is, it feels like my internal muscles are attempting a correction of the curvature pattern. That is, internal muscles on the left are actively pushing the left curve to the right - and internal muscles on the right are actively pushing the lower curve to the left (on exhale, third set). The day following an evening of exercise - the muscles definitely feel as if something new is being done (as with any exercise i've done in the past). Does that make sense? Yes, such muscle activity is possible and i loved your belly dancer analogy as evidence of that.

In the video - there is what is called (on this side of the Atlantic), the teapot pose. When i do that (as instructed for my curve pattern), my curves respond in a straight line. Translation, my spine, even at a ripe age - seems still quite flexible. This is probably why i am responding so well to this treatment. Thank you Betty - i value your input.

Comment

Working...
            X