PDA

View Full Version : "Wrong Way" Curve?

scoli-girl
06-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I have had scoliosis for about 5 years and wore a brace for 3 of them. Only recently did my doctor mention that my left side C curve of about 30 degrees is abnormal. She mentioned that I should get an MRI on it and I don't really know why. My mom and i researched left side curves but didn't find much helpful information. I was wondering if anyone has any clue what an MRI may find/ why i need it.

MissEmmyF
06-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Do you have a thoracic or a lumbar curve?

LindaRacine
06-19-2009, 07:17 PM
I have had scoliosis for about 5 years and wore a brace for 3 of them. Only recently did my doctor mention that my left side C curve of about 30 degrees is abnormal. She mentioned that I should get an MRI on it and I don't really know why. My mom and i researched left side curves but didn't find much helpful information. I was wondering if anyone has any clue what an MRI may find/ why i need it.

Hi...

It would only be abnormal if it were a left thoracic curve. It might mean nothing, but it could mean Arnold-Chiari, a spinal cord tumor, or a neuromuscular disorder.

http://journals.lww.com/spinejournal/Abstract/1999/06150/Left_Thoracic_Curve_Patterns_and_Their_Association .10.aspx

Regards,
Linda

JenniferG
06-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Mine was left curving. I only learned on this board that it could point to another problem, but I'm fine. Good luck!

scoli-girl
06-21-2009, 07:12 PM
I have a thiracic curve. Thank you for your help.

Mom_15
09-06-2009, 05:55 PM
My daughter has a left thoriac curve and had to have an MRI to rule out the possibility of a tumor. Apparently, right curves are more predominat. Like Right handed people. And there is a medical theory that Left curves are caused by a bigger problem. However, thankfully, there is no bigger problem causing her curve to be left. Just like there is no cause for some people to be left handed.