Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry everyone for not posting for so long but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry everyone for not posting for so long but...

Hi everyone,

I have only been able to read and catch-up a little on everyone's progress until this morning. Any way, I've had my surgery as scheduled front and back. So far everything seems to have went well with no complications so far. When I feel a little better to type more, I will elaborate more on my experiences because they were great, could not have asked for a better team of surgeons -- they were wonderful. But as everyone says here on this site I am over the waiting period and on the other side! I have my first follow-up next Thursday with my main surgeon.

I'm going to have lot's questions from your experiences, hopefully this afternoon I will feel well enough again to post some of them. I'll especially have lots of questions for anyone who has been fused down to their pelvis, and some brace questions. Thanks
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Hi Dolores,

I'm so glad the surgery is all over for you. You will start to feel a tiny bit better every day. Get plenty of rest and take care of yourself!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Glad you are doing okay.......whatever questions you have...post away...thats why we are all here, to suuport each other!!

Take care....

Lynn
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Glad to hear you are on the other side and that you have not had any complications so for. You probably won't have complications this far out. I think you are doing well to post so soon. Get plenty of rest and gentle hugs.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

surgery done!

Congratulations on getting through your surgery :O) That's the first big milestone, just getting through it! Take care of yourself and eat healthy and let everyone help you as much as possible! You have earned it!
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Congrats on a successful surgery, Dolores. I think you've done well to be posting so soon. Write a list of your questions and stick it in your bag so you don't forget it - the drugs mess with your brain!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I have been trying to post for a few days since my last one, either it's me or the computer but was having problems. Seems to be working now, I was even able to edit my signature this morning.

Here is one of my questions, I noticed that it pretty much depends on the surgeon, mine is having me wear a brace (the turtle shell kind). I don't think it fits very well (too big). I had the company here that fitted me for it and he made some adjustments, I just feel like I am holding it up as I walk. Did any one have issues with this?
              Dolores A
              Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

Hi Dolores

Congrats!

Its funny how surgeons will have a brace made before surgery, then after, your a foot taller and it doesn't fit! LOL I guess they figure that something is needed for protection just in case.

I took mine back and they sawed about 2 inches off each side and tightened it up some, but it still didn't fit all that well. The main thing here is falling. Falling down right now is just not a good thing...... Take it slow and don't fall down.

I'm 17 months post now, and if you could see the crazy things I do now, as if I was never fused at all, you would not believe it.
                I'm almost afraid to mention these things here.

I know things are tough right now, but in time you will see what I'm talking about. It gets better every day........

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  Hi Dolores

Congrats!

Its funny how surgeons will have a brace made before surgery, then after, your a foot taller and it doesn't fit! LOL I guess they figure that something is needed for protection just in case.

I took mine back and they sawed about 2 inches off each side and tightened it up some, but it still didn't fit all that well. The main thing here is falling. Falling down right now is just not a good thing...... Take it slow and don't fall down.

I'm 17 months post now, and if you could see the crazy things I do now, as if I was never fused at all, you would not believe it.
                  I'm almost afraid to mention these things here.

I know things are tough right now, but in time you will see what I'm talking about. It gets better every day........

Ed
                  Awh come on Ed, mention those things! I did see your pic on skis, which was very impressive!

Comment

Well Debbe,

If you look at the pics, you will see a jeep on a mining road approx 30 miles north of Lake Tahoe. We were driving along and came across this kid who was flipping out because he had a flat on his truck and didnt know how to change it. I couldnt leave him up there, so I had to change his tire.

Laying under a pick-up truck on the rocks, on a steep hill, struggling with the jack and all, well its a workout. Especially dropping his spare tire down from under the bed with rusty bolts.

I also carried a log approx 300 feet to our fire pit. It weighed about 90 lbs.

Im just a beast of burden sometimes. Why I do these things, I dont know?

Thank God my back is good.
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      Well Debbe,

If you look at the pics, you will see a jeep on a mining road approx 30 miles north of Lake Tahoe. We were driving along and came across this kid who was flipping out because he had a flat on his truck and didnt know how to change it. I couldnt leave him up there, so I had to change his tire.

Laying under a pick-up truck on the rocks, on a steep hill, struggling with the jack and all, well its a workout. Especially dropping his spare tire down from under the bed with rusty bolts.

I also carried a log approx 300 feet to our fire pit. It weighed about 90 lbs.

Im just a beast of burden sometimes. Why I do these things, I dont know?

Thank God my back is good.
                      Ed
                      Such a good samaritan! I'm sure that kid was thankful you were around! Take it easy with that back, huh?

Comment

Good Morning,

Thanks Ed and Debbei for the good laugh I had this morning! I'm serious, really needed that. Thanks for the advice on the brace also, considering I had my first almost fall early this morning. We have a houseguest over and I did not want to wake anyone up this morning, so I decided to walk outside in my backyard to loosen up my back (it seems the back is at it's worst in the morning after not moving all night). Anyway, when I came back in the door, I lost my balance coming in, verrrry scarrrry! Did not fall, though my heart was pounding for long time after that.

Took my first walk outside yesterday evening, about eight blocks. Felt very good!
                        Dolores A
                        Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

Originally posted by dolores a View Post
                          Good Morning,

Thanks Ed and Debbei for the good laugh I had this morning! I'm serious, really needed that. Thanks for the advice on the brace also, considering I had my first almost fall early this morning. We have a houseguest over and I did not want to wake anyone up this morning, so I decided to walk outside in my backyard to loosen up my back (it seems the back is at it's worst in the morning after not moving all night). Anyway, when I came back in the door, I lost my balance coming in, verrrry scarrrry! Did not fall, though my heart was pounding for long time after that.

Took my first walk outside yesterday evening, about eight blocks. Felt very good!
                          Thank goodness you didn't fall!! I guess that's what the brace is for anyway. I wasn't given a brace, and in the early weeks when I walked at the mall I was always petrified that someone would knock me over.

Keep up the good work walking Dolores and let us know how you are.

Comment

considering

dear dolores
                            congratulations on being on the other side of such a major decision & on completion of surgery...wish you all the best in your healing
                            i am considering what i think will be very similar...A/P, with anterior from L4-sacrum, & posterior instrumented fusion from T 11-S 1....but havent made a definite decision yet...
                            will say a prayer & keep you in my thoughts, as am sure so many of your scoli buddies will....

feel a little better every day
                            jess

Comment

hi jess,

Thanks for the well wishes, and good luck in your decisions about surgery. I know from my own experience, it is a tough decision, I had to weigh all of the odds for awhile. It took a little while for me to come to the conclusion that if I did not have this surgery and get it over with now, it would be harder the longer I put it off. Believe me there are still times I say to myself why did I do this, but it becomes less and less as I make more progress in my healing. One of the reasons I decided to have the surgery is that my pain and deformity were getting worse by the day. The deformity was not so bad, but I was seeing changes in my body progressing quickly.

A lot of the pre-surgery pain, i.e. the sciatica (which was very bad) is virtually gone now. Of course there is surgical pain, but that this getting better every day. I know I will have to deal with some bending issues later, but from what I hear from other members of this forum who have had similar fusions, you get around it. Looking forward to hearing how you are coming along in your own decisions.
                              Dolores A
                              Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

Working...
                              X