New to NSF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to NSF

I have been observing the exchanges between folks for about a week, have made the decision this website is a godsent for me.
    My problem is in the lumbar region with spinal stenosis, am scheduled for surgery 4 November. It seems I go moment to moment, between acceptance and terror. The procedure is not what frightens me as much as being under anesthesia for so long. My doctor said 14-20 hours, his nurse talked to me and said more like 8-12 hours. I had a laminectomy 5 years ago and according to the neurosurgeons and dept. of orthopedics it has actually caused my spine to collapse in some sort of fashion. We live in Arizona and Dr. Dzioba at the University Medical Center in Tucson is performing the surgery (he performs about 2 a week). I appreciate any input and/or advice. Also thanks so much to all of you out there who so bravely share, it has been an unbelievable support to me and I will remember you in my prayers.

SkiAnn:
    Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
    Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Hi SkiAnn...

Does your surgeon perform two SCOLIOSIS surgeries a week? 14-20 hours for just a lumbar scoliosis surgery seems really excessive to me. Would it be possible for you to get a second opinion? The only Tucson doctor listed on the Scoliosis Research Society's website is Henry D. Bratt.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,
      Thanks so much for your input. Checked with my insurance and Dr Bratt is not on the provider list. Kind of puts me in a Catch 22?
      Dr. Dzioba is a staff professor at the U. of A. Medical School, he works solely on diseases of the spine, and the hospital says 'yes' he does about 2 spinal fusions a week. I, as well, do not understand why he is me such a long (hours) prodiction, except; he told me that the laminectomy I had done 5 yeaars ago created further complications for later down the road (where I am at now). I will press his office for more information and let you know. I spoke to someone who had him for a surgeon and they are ( one year post op) doing very well. So I don't know? I appreciate your concern and advice,
      Fondly,
      SkiAnn
      Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo

Comment

Hi SkiAnn...

One level fusions are pretty different than long instrumented fusions. Again, I'm only concerned about the amount of time they're telling you they'll need for surgery.

Good luck! :-)

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Linda,
          Thanks again, they are doing an instrumented fusion, I'm glad you cleared that up for me, but, yes, I'm concerned about the length of time as well, and I am going to get more info. I guess I just need to be abit more assertive. One of my downfalls, I am usually much too quiet and reserved; however, this is a pret..tty big deal. So guess I must put on my brave armor and trudge on.
          Don't worry I will certainly keep in touch, I may not be the bravest, but I do have a abundance of curiosity.

Fondly,
          SkiAnn
          Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo

Comment

Hi SkiAnn...

Just to clarify: you stated that your doctor does two fusion cases a week. One or two level fusion cases are very different than long instrumented fusions. Sorry for the confusion.

Good luck. We definitely need to advocate for ourselves with insurance companies. These surgeries are huge, and picking the right surgeon goes a long way toward assuring a good outcome. :-)

Regards,
            Linda

Comment

I am also scheduled for surgery in November. I go through phases where I am completely terrified and other times where I am accepting of it. Dr. Alexis Shelekov out of Dallas will be performing the surgery. He does about 4 scoliosis surgeries a week and researches the subject as well. People from all over the world come to Dallas to be treated by him. Hopefully all goes well. In case anyone is interested his website is www.consultingorthopedists.com. It is comforting to know that we will be going through the surgery together in November. What date is yours set for?

Comment

Working...
              X