Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running

I have a question for the others that are post op.
    I am at 13 Months!!!! yay!!! and I want to start training for a marathon. I have no support from my dh...actually he makes me want to hide the fact I am doing this...but I want to do something I have never done before since I've always had scoliosis...this marathon will be Oct. 3 and is a week after my 29th birthday...but I want to do the 5K portion...

Does anyone think this is possible for me to train for in 16 weeks? I have never ran...but I have been walking like crazy since the surgery and can walk over a mile (actually a good 3 miles I can do now) and that was a HUGE accomplishment when that happened at 9 months post op PAIN FREE

So can I do this?
    Am I NUTS?
    Should I hit my husband over the head for laughing at me and telling me I'm crazy?
    Ummm where do I start? HAHAHAHA
    Last edited by mmw; 06-15-2009, 05:31 PM.
    My One Crooked Momma blog
    Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
    From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

I admire you for even wanting to do it!!! If you think you can, why not. The training will be good exercise. I myself am 13 months out also but I am unable to run at all!
    I get soaked in the rain because I can't even jog to my car because my whole body feels like its falling apart when I try. So GO FOR IT.
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

You know your body best

I started playing basketball and running track 6 months after my surgery wearing my brace. It was a bit soon, but I jumped hurdles at 7 months and I was fine. You can tell what your body can handle.
      I ran a 1/2 and did not train properly and ended up fracturing my foot and ran with it like that. I found out after wards.... so just train properly and good luck.
      Angela

Comment

running:O)

MMW,

As long as your surgeon has cleared you why not. I use to be a bodybuilder and at first my husband wasn't really on board with it but it was a goal of mine. He ended up being my biggest supporter and fan! Maybe your husband is just very worried about what might happen or what could happen to your back. Perhaps consult with a trainer who has experience with marathons. Your body will tell you what it can and can't handle. Dealing with scoliosis we all know that one:O) Good luck. Please keep us posted. I have not been able to run in five years. I use to run 4 miles in the am and pm. I miss it so much and would like to get back at it someday when I am healed. I may never bodybuild again but I have thought of running some races. Stay in touch PLEASE!
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

I think you should be fine to train for the marathon. Just listen to your body and dont push yourself too hard. I ran a 5k at 9 months post op.
          20 y/o male, had the fusion to "straighten my act up", and just trying to have a normal life again.

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
            MMW,

As long as your surgeon has cleared you why not. I use to be a bodybuilder and at first my husband wasn't really on board with it but it was a goal of mine. He ended up being my biggest supporter and fan! Maybe your husband is just very worried about what might happen or what could happen to your back. Perhaps consult with a trainer who has experience with marathons. Your body will tell you what it can and can't handle. Dealing with scoliosis we all know that one:O) Good luck. Please keep us posted. I have not been able to run in five years. I use to run 4 miles in the am and pm. I miss it so much and would like to get back at it someday when I am healed. I may never bodybuild again but I have thought of running some races. Stay in touch PLEASE!
            MMW....are you able to lift weights at all now? I weight train, and am wondering what will happen after my surgery. Please let me know what you can do now to train (cardio or weights). Thank you!
            Laura
            62 degrees
            49 yrs. young
            Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

wow i am so retarded! i was reading this post, then saw your signature about thanking Dr. S, and having it done at Baylor and i was thinking, "I am gonna write and say hello since we have the same dr"...then i saw your surgery date and then your initials clicked and i was like OMG is that HER??? And lo and behold, I click on your blog and there it is...one crooked mama!

i miss you so much, we need to get together really soon!!
              .: St@ci :.
              28 years old
              Mama to two daughters
              Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
              No treatment.
              Decided on surgery 16 years later.
              Thoracic curve - 65
              Lumbar curve- 63
              Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
              Fused T2-L3
              No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!