coughing and sneezing......eeeek!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coughing and sneezing......eeeek!!!

Howdy! Will you guys tell me this gets better?! Ugghhh! Ive had a cold on and off for about a month....went away, came back. Either way, its soo incrediably uncomfortable & painful to cough a good, deep, cough & to sneeze. I just dread that....mainly because I dont just sneeze once....oh no, when I go, I go.....4, 5 sometimes 6 in a row! OUCH! Will this ease up or is this just one more thing I will have to grow used to?? Blahhh!!
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Ohh that brings back bad memories.......I used to have to brace myself each time I felt a sneeze coming on & I would try not to cough or laugh too hard! It eventually gets better, so hang in there.
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Comment

Is this true pre-op or post-op? I'm already having problmes pre-op and I haven't even seen my doc yet... Ugh!
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
        Howdy! Will you guys tell me this gets better?! Ugghhh! Ive had a cold on and off for about a month....went away, came back. Either way, its soo incrediably uncomfortable & painful to cough a good, deep, cough & to sneeze. I just dread that....mainly because I dont just sneeze once....oh no, when I go, I go.....4, 5 sometimes 6 in a row! OUCH! Will this ease up or is this just one more thing I will have to grow used to?? Blahhh!!
        I can sympathize. What worked for me was holding a pillow very tightly to my midsection when I coughed or sneezed.

Hope you feel better soon!

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Ok Lynn, It gets better. LOL

Rita, Lynn is talking about after surgery. It is very scary to sneeze due to the extreme force exerted on the soft tissues that are healing. After surgery,you can be pretty raw and sore. It took me a year till I was 100% comfortable with the sneezing and coughing issues.

I too, sneeze 4 to 6 times now. I have no idea why ? At least it doesn't hurt anymore.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Lynn,

Can't give you any advise about the coughing but when I don't want to sneeze I hold my nose closed. Sounds silly but works for me...one of those weird things maybe but give it a try! It works great to not wake a baby :O)

Jenn,

Laughing does hurt! I am glad to say though that I have done a lot of it post-op. As much frustration and tears that I have had in the past few weeks I have laughed hard and often!

Life is good. As hard as this condition and surgery can be we really could have it so much worse. I try and remind myself of that at least once a day. I love my family!
            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Thanks ladies and gents.......I hope it gets better...how annoying! Off the subject real quick....my PT asked today(for the 3rd time-scary) how far out I was from surgery.....WOW! Times flies......I cant believe, as of yesterday it was 5 months!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where does time go!?!?!?? Seems like just yesterday....certainly glad it's over & done, that's foorrrr shhoorree!
              Lynn -30.... something
              UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

I find sneezing, laughing, etc. hurts my RIBS more than my back. Anyone else experience this? I am three months post-op.

Comment

Yes, I can relate to that--and I'm almost 3 months too. I've sneezed 7 times since surgery! I know since it's always an event. I guess somehow we manage to slow down the number of sneezes. It always hurts more in the front even though all surgery was posterior with reach around for the lower lumbar/pelvis. My abdomen hurts if pushed on at all and just feels sort of hard. At my appt. Dr. Lenke said it could still be some swelling issues. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Sneezing

Yikes I don't like to cough and sneeze now and I haven't had my surgery yet. Every time I sneeze now, it's a new experience in pain! If I'm standing up I make a real spectacle of myself trying to find a place to sit before I sneeze ! Otherwise, it can just about put me to the floor. Gee, can't wait 'til after surgery - sounds like a GREAT time, lol
                    Deb

Comment

Interestingly, I used to suffer terrible allergy attacks in the spring and fall when I would literally sneeze all day for 8 or 9 hours straight and then fall into bed exhausted and sleep them off.

Since my surgery two years ago, I have not have one of those attacks. I have absolutely no more problems with seasonal allergies. My theory is that my body knows it can't handle that kind of sneezing anymore so it just doesn't happen. It's been a nice side-benefit!!!
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
                        Interestingly, I used to suffer terrible allergy attacks in the spring and fall when I would literally sneeze all day for 8 or 9 hours straight and then fall into bed exhausted and sleep them off.

Since my surgery two years ago, I have not have one of those attacks. I have absolutely no more problems with seasonal allergies. My theory is that my body knows it can't handle that kind of sneezing anymore so it just doesn't happen. It's been a nice side-benefit!!!
                        Think your body could tell my body to tell the allergies to go away? That would be really awesome.
                        Geish
                        47 years old, dx at 13
                        +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                        Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Originally posted by Geish View Post
                          Think your body could tell my body to tell the allergies to go away? That would be really awesome.
                          Chris should do that for all of us!!

Yes Lynn, I also hate to cough or sneeze. I usually try to brace myself first. It isn't as bad as it was immediately post-op but it's still no fun.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hummm....well, looks as if we all are SOL huh...well, all of us except for Chris! lol Teach me?
                            Lynn -30.... something
                            UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Believe me, if I could share the secret of my sneezeless body, I would!!!! I figure it's nature's way of giving me a consolation prize for having a long and rough recovery....!!!!
                              Chris
                              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                              X