Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping Problems

Hi,
    Tomorrow will be 11 weeks since my fusion. I am doing well, have been off the heavy meds since week 5, only taking extra strength tylenol or motrin when needed for pain. My doctor will only write prescriptions for the first 6 weeks, believe me, somedays I would like to have the morphine back. Anyway, my biggest problem right now is getting to sleep at night. I know when I went for my 6 week follow up, they said that is normal, but how much longer should I be concerned. Part of it is being uncomfortable, but even if I am comfortable, I just can't sleep. I have been taking Ambien CR and that does give me a good nights sleep, but I don't want to have to take it all the time. Has anyone else had this problem and how long did it last?

And one other crazy problem I seem to have, is if I wear a bra, for even a couple of hours, my back spasms like crazy for the rest of the day. Anyone with this problem, or am I just crazy?
    Diagnosed borderline brace or surgery in 1980.
    Wore Milwaukee brace for several years, stabilized curve, told it wouldn't get worse. HA!!!!!
    Surgery 3/31/09, with Dr Lloyd Hey.
    Fusion T5-L1, 54 degrees to 16. Yea!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by wvu90 View Post
    Hi,
    Tomorrow will be 11 weeks since my fusion. I am doing well, have been off the heavy meds since week 5, only taking extra strength tylenol or motrin when needed for pain. My doctor will only write prescriptions for the first 6 weeks, believe me, somedays I would like to have the morphine back. Anyway, my biggest problem right now is getting to sleep at night. I know when I went for my 6 week follow up, they said that is normal, but how much longer should I be concerned. Part of it is being uncomfortable, but even if I am comfortable, I just can't sleep. I have been taking Ambien CR and that does give me a good nights sleep, but I don't want to have to take it all the time. Has anyone else had this problem and how long did it last?

And one other crazy problem I seem to have, is if I wear a bra, for even a couple of hours, my back spasms like crazy for the rest of the day. Anyone with this problem, or am I just crazy?
    Hi...

Both of those things are completely normal and common (unfortunately). I don't remember when my sleeping difficulties stopped, but do remember that it was very gradual. After awhile, I just stopped worrying about it. As for the bra thing, 15 years post op, I still have this problem if I wear certain types of bras. See if you can find a different type of bra that works. For example, I suspect a sports bra would be relatively easy to wear.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hello,
      I am 1 year post op and have had sleeping problems off and on since my surgery. Initially after surgery, it took about 4 or 5 months for my sleep pattern to level out (somewhat).

I have had 2 steroid injections since my surgery and I've noticed significant problems with sleep for a couple of months following. I tried Ambien but had no luck with it. Next I tried Restoril (temazepam) 15mg. It worked pretty well, but it was almost like being on a rollercoaster in my sleep. I would go right into a very deep sleep, but would wake up about 3 hours later. I'd go right back to sleep (after a trek to the bathroom just for good measure), but wake up again about 3 hours later. I also had a hard time waking up in the morning. I felt like I was in a fog until about noon. Next I tried the same thing in 7.5mg. It was a little better but my doctor was concerned about becoming dependant on it. She switched me to Rozerem because it is not known to be habit forming and it really works well for me. I don't get the loopy feeling after taking it like some sleep medications do to me, and I go right to sleep. Other than pain waking me up, I get a good night of sleep and wake up fine. Now most nights I do ok without taking anything but if I know I'm going to have trouble sleeping, I take the Rozerem.

Bras. Ugh! I think the spasms and pain are universal from everything I've read. I also have issues with my ribs. I still have a pretty prominent ribcage even after surgery. By the time I get home from work, my ribs actually are sore from the band. I've tried loosening the hooks but then, well, it just doesn't work. I think it's something I'll eventually get used to but at this point, it's the first thing to go when I get home!

Hang in there. Everything will smooth out and hopefully begin feeling normal soon.
      Becky, 46 years old
      Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
      Ignored until 448/07
      Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
      Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
      Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
      Fused T-10 to L-5
      14 titanium pedicle screws
      Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
      Email

Comment

Do you have one of those memory foam mattress toppers? Like a temperpedic type? Since I have that I've had much better sleeps, and they are pretty inexpensive too.

Brad
        Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
        Still have 57 degree curve
        2 Harrington rods
        Luque method used
        Dr David Bradford
        Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
        Preop xray (with brace on)
        Postop xray

Comment

I still have issues sleeping....I would be liar if I said otherwise. I have not slept on my bed in weeks...months actually. It just is not comfortable for me, for a few reasons: 1) not soft enough 2) the pillow topper has a raised patten to it that bugs me 3) my husband sleeps to close to me and Im used to more room for myself...he also snores which helps does not allow me to fall alseep. I tried the pillow topper and had no luck. I also tried Ambein and Ambien CR & numerous other sleep aids w/no luck. The couch is what allowes me to get sleep. Im hoping to start weaning myself from this as I do miss my bed and my snoring husband dearly! lol Good luck!!
          Last edited by LynnMarie74; 06-15-2009, 08:57 PM.
          Lynn -30.... something
          DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
          At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
          At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
          Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
          UW Madison, WI Hospital
          **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Hi,
            Tylenol PM works very well for me and I only need a half of one caplet to do the trick. If I take more than that, I am very groggy in the morning.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I am glad to hear it isn't just me. ) We have a new bed with a great mattress, so it usually isn't too uncomfortable.

I have tried Advil PM and Tylenol PM, with no results. One night I even took 3 Tylenol PM, NOTHING. Usually 2 knock me out. I guess for now, I will just keep taking the Ambien CR and get the rest I need, then worry about weaning myself off of it later on.

Loves To Skate, I saw on the profession post that you are a Med Tech(ASCP). I am too. We are a rare breed. It is exciting to see or meet someone else in our field.
              Diagnosed borderline brace or surgery in 1980.
              Wore Milwaukee brace for several years, stabilized curve, told it wouldn't get worse. HA!!!!!
              Surgery 3/31/09, with Dr Lloyd Hey.
              Fusion T5-L1, 54 degrees to 16. Yea!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Bras and sleeping lol!

WVU90,

I hope you start to sleep better soon. I know that can be frustrating. As for the bra thing I am not looking forward to that. I will be out of my brace in three weeks so I haven't been wearing one. Oh the fun to look forward to!

Lynn,

I had to laugh at your snoring husband. Mine has been awful lately.....actually all the time! He started back to work this week so we are going to bed about the same time. He hasn't been on normal Coast Guard hours for a long time because they sent him to college for the past 2 years so he has been home alot but he has always stayed up later than me since the surgery. But the snoring, good god I can't stand it. All week it has been keeping me awake. sounds like he is choking sometimes and he will also hold his breath. Time to see the doc. I usually end up waking him up to roll over:O) Good luck with yours! Hope you make it back into that bed soon!
                Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
                  3) my husband sleeps to close to me and Im used to more room for myself...he also snores which helps does not allow me to fall alseep.
                  I hear you sister! I honestly understand why couples would want separate bedrooms! LOL

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My happily married grandparents (long gone now) were famous in the family for having separate bedrooms from the second month of their marriage until my grandfather's death 52 years later. My grandfather's snoring could be heard through thick walls.

My husband has a C-PAP machine, which pretty much cured his snoring. Nothing worse than trying to sleep with a snorer, in my opinion!
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                    X