Random questions and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random questions and comments

First of all, whoever came up with the idea of taping a razor to a wooden spoon to shave your legs is a genius! I finally feel human again!

Anyway, it has been 12 days since my surgery and I feel like I am doing way better than I should be (knock on wood!) I've been able to go out, run errands, and even visit with friends a bit every day since I have been home from the hospital. I'm not driving of course, but as long as I have a ride. I am still taking my pain meds regularly but I don't feel like I need them quite as often. My biggest problem is that my shoulder blades get pretty sore by the end of the day.

I am curious, was anyone else released from the hospital with practically no restrictions? All I was told was no swimming, tub bathing, or heavy lifting. I also wasn't allowed to shower until 7 days after surgery (thats when I was discharged so it didn't really matter). Those are my only restrictions. My surgeon just said to listen to my body. As far as I can tell, this is unusual, but I'm not up for doing anything crazy anyway. Anyone else discharged like this?

I have an appointment with my surgeon in a little over a week so I can ask him some questions then, but I figured I would ask here first. I have been having numbness in my right thigh since I got home from the hospital. Its weird, I can feel pressure and temperature, but just not touch...its sort of hard to explain. It's only a small part of my leg and everything moves just fine so I am assuming its just nerves or left over swelling or something. Has anyone else had this?

My second issue is my scar/incision (i guess it isn't really a scar yet). I had no external stiches or steri-strips, etc. The surgeon used some kind of surgical super glue and glued me shut. It bothers me because it is really tight and I am afraid I am going to split it open or something. The glue is already starting to flake off and I feel like the incision can't possibly be healed together yet. Is this a legit concern or am I just being stupid?

Sorry for the long post. Overall everything is going great. I'm just having a few minor issues. Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by sarah105; 06-13-2009, 11:48 AM.
    Sarah
    22 year old grad student
    Boston brace from 12-14
    surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
    Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
    Thoracic curve 47*
    Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

They glued me shut too. It's been a year and a half and there are still days it feels like the scar/incision is going to split open. It irrational on my part but that's how it feels to me. Just so you know they sew you up underneath the glue. The glue is just for the outer layer and it leaves a beautiful scar. Mine is hardly noticeable and it runs almost the full length of my back.

I still have patches of numbness as well. There are sections on my back, hips and thighs that still have no real feeling, again I feel pressure and temperature but no real sensation of touch. It may go away some day and it may not, but it is a normal sensation.

Welcome to the other side. Stay strong and try not to over do it in your recovery.
    Geish
    Last edited by Geish; 06-13-2009, 11:51 AM.
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Sarah,

I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well. I had sore shoulder blades for quite some time too, and it got better slowly. As for the incision, I didn't have extenal stitches, only internal ones. I had the steri stips taken off at 10 days post op, and nothing split open. It's really remarkable how the body heals itself, don't you think? I'd have someone keep an eye on your incision but don't worry, I'm sure it will be fine.

As for the thigh numbness, I had that on both legs halfway down each thigh, front and back. Over about 3 months, the numbness/tingling are got progressively smaller, and now it's totally gone. I'm not 100% sure what it was, I'm guessing nerves.

Keep up the good work healing,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

sarah's recovery!

Sarah,

So glad to hear how awesome you are doing. I had a really long fusion plus discectomys(?) done so I am in a brace. I feel that has cause most of my post opperative pain. It took a while to workup to the hours that I could spend in it. I can last about 4 hours at a time and than I am done and in bed...but I've got some years on you though:O) It certainly seems the younger you are the quicker your recovery is. Of course when I was 20 my curves had started to progress again......they were lying in wait! Oh well you go with what you have. I can certainly say with great happiness I am glad my surgery is over!!!! Good luck and continued success with your recovery! Take care....
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

I just love all you folks who talk about how wonderful you are doing postop. You are either all liers (ha!) or you really are doing wonderful. I'm positive it is the latter! Keep up the good work and keep all the positive remarks coming - we who have not been lucky enough to put this behind us yet sure appreciate it! You certainly look wonderful (and considerably straighter!)....
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46
          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by sarah105 View Post
            First of all, whoever came up with the idea of taping a razor to a wooden spoon to shave your legs is a genius! I finally feel human again!
            I believe the inventor is Titanium Ed (if I had to guess).
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
              I believe the inventor is Titanium Ed (if I had to guess).
              That's right Sharon, because we all know that Ti Ed has really hairy legs.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                That's right Sharon, because we all know that Ti Ed has really hairy legs.
                Among other parts no doubt. ()

I'm guessing the guy invented many modern conveniences for women. He is not simply an expert on statuary at the Hearst mansion. (double )
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                X