Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curve

What is everyones curvature?!
    Does anyone else have an 80 degree curve?!

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

My top was 91 and bottom 64, I think. Check my signature for accuracy. The last year and between appts. it was progressing so fast I almost forgot what it was. He said a month before surgery there was actually a third in my neck--that degree was 40 or 50 something and a fourth at the very bottom of my spine. I'd post my amazing picture but spent hours with help from many to put them on my Care Bridge site and they were so small no one could see them anyway. We can't figure out what's wrong with this computer! Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks! =] Has the surgery helped out?! Have you noticed an improvement?!

27 year old female
      Upper Curve 110 degrees
      Lower Curve 90 degrees
      Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Hi there! My curve was recently diagnosed at 73 degrees. I can't really tell from your picture...is your curve in the lumbar area? Mine is thoracic. Anyway, I'm getting surgery on the 25th.

Comment

Yes, I have noticed improvement overall. I look straighter and taller instead of scrunched up even though many said I didn't know you had a problem. I was pretty good at hiding it but the last year especially was getting much more difficult. They were even able to improve my rib rotation which was really bad. So other that a leaning to left which we don't know if it will improve I am quite satisfied so far! Janet
          Janet

Comment

curves

Doodles and Curvycakes:

I can't imagine curves like that mine was 50 degrees with a 5 centimeter shift off the center (plumb line) which means my head and shoulders were not over my hips. I also had no lumbar discs left. I can't imagine the muscle pain with curves like that. Did either of you have any disc's removed during your sugeries and braced afterwards? I can felt an instant change after surgery, I was bunched up anymore so that was great! As I have said before though I jsut hate my brace. Four more weeks and I am done with it......I am thinking 3 1/2 :O) I just can't take it!
            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Doodles:

I have only posted once on this forum but I'm a regular user! Thanks to ALL of you for your input. I'm STILL waiting on my surgeon to schedule the surgery. My curves are 65ish and 60ish ( you can tell I'm still new at this). What amazes me is that so many people say they never knew I had scoliosis and so at times when I doubt the wisdom of doing surgery and all the pain then I wonder why do it if no one notices. Then reality kicks in and I remember again that the Dr. said with curves like that they will most certainly increase.

Thanks again to all who post --- most of the time I'm encouraged as I read those and remind myself that others have also had the surgery and they have not only survived, they've thrived!!
              Sheree
              Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
              Had two children
              Back started hurting more around age 52
              Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
              Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
              Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
              Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
              My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Comment

I know most of my discs were removed in the lumbar area for sure. I really don't know about others I'll ask about that at my appt. I had at least 2 "cages"--they look more like a metal ring--in the lower area also. Dr. Lenke did not use a brace with me. I don't think he usually does. I'm amazed that so many do have it and I don't. Not that it looks/sounds inviting. Janet
                Janet

Comment

I've been told my curve is 80+. Awaiting appt with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis on Aug 19th. I've got a lot of pain and some muscle spasm that goes from the back around the side toward the front at times. Not sure - I'm sure I'm destined for surgery. But, I'd just soon get it over with.
                  Rita Thompson
                  Age 46
                  Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                  Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                  Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                  Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

tlso post op

Janet,

I saw that you had your lumbar disc's removed and didn't have to wear a brace. You are/were so lucky. I HATE it! I am use to it now but it's just a pain in the butt getting cloths to fit over it, not that I am dressing up. I have been in comfy cloths since surgery. I have gone out only 4 times since my surgery and I only have 4 more weeks before I can start to ween out of it. For me this has been the hardest aspect of the surgery. I think part has be physcological since I really went through a hard time with my brace as a kid. When they first showed my my tlso I started to cry, it was as though I had gone back in time. It took me a good week to come to grips with the fact that I just had to wear it and that was that. I wonder why some doc's are so adament about wearing the brace and some aren't. As always, I am amazed that Doctor's vary so much in their approach to treating scoli.
                    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

I understand what you mean about the differences. If I'd gone with the Texas doctor he'd have me in one for four months. I don't know if this would have any ramifications on my tilting to the left at all but when we first realized it, we thought I might need a brace now. I have no idea. I know the shoe lift my p.t. gave me hasn't helped that I can tell. Maybe I'm not good about wearing it all the time. I hate wearing shoes period! Especially kinds that you can put a lift in!

I understand too the feeling on the brace. As a kid I went bonkers and refused to get it even though they fit me for one. I had been to the hospital that was fitting me for it at 13 with the plaster, no clothes, right out in the "brace" area bawling my eyes out. That memory is still a haunting one. Gee what an awful way to deal with this then. I'm glad your time with it is nearing! Hang in there. Janet
                      Janet

Comment

Originally posted by curvycakes View Post
                        Hi there! My curve was recently diagnosed at 73 degrees. I can't really tell from your picture...is your curve in the lumbar area? Mine is thoracic. Anyway, I'm getting surgery on the 25th.
                        Yes that is in the lumbar..I recently had a CT test done. So I am hoping that is all there is..How long do they predict your surgery will be?!

27 year old female
                        Upper Curve 110 degrees
                        Lower Curve 90 degrees
                        Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
                          I've been told my curve is 80+. Awaiting appt with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis on Aug 19th. I've got a lot of pain and some muscle spasm that goes from the back around the side toward the front at times. Not sure - I'm sure I'm destined for surgery. But, I'd just soon get it over with.
                          I have the worst pain where my side goes in because of the spine being curved...like others I feel that I am smooshed together. I hear you. The worst part for me is going to be the antisipation leading up to the surgery.

27 year old female
                          Upper Curve 110 degrees
                          Lower Curve 90 degrees
                          Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

bodypro: I haven't had my surgery yet (June 25th, so soon! ) but I was told that I won't need a brace or anything like that afterwards. The surgeon said I'll be out in 4-5 days. I haven't had any discs replaced. I don't really even have any pain in the area..just numbness. The funny thing is that I have pain in my lumbar area..and that curve is barely there...when I get fused it will only be the thoracic part of my spine. I have some rotation but it really doesn't look that bad when looking at me. Anyway, I'm excited for the surgery!

and megz, they said my surgery would be about 4 hours. I'm getting rods and screws which I guess is standard? I'll be out in 4-5 days and will be ready to go back to school in August!

Comment

Hi megz,
                              Pre-surgery my curves were 60* thorocolumbar and 49* thoracic. My surgeon was able to correct the thorocolumbar curve to approximately 10*. He did not make any correction to the thoracic curve hoping it will self-correct. I go back for my one year check July 23. I'm hoping for good news.

I wore a TLSO brace for 3 months post-op. Wow! That sucker was hot in Oklahoma in July and August! The up side is I lost quite a lot of weight while wearing but have managed to gain part of it back. Maybe I need to go back to wearing it for a while to lose the weight again?! I thought I was going to be so excited to ween out of it but found I had developed a sense of security in wearing it. For quite a while after weening, I was really scared to ride in the car for fear of having a wreck and not having the stability of the brace. But all in all I'm happy to not have to wear it.

I wonder also why the big difference in the school of thought on bracing post surgery. I haven't been able to find any real reason for the differing opinions other than just that-difference of opinion. I know there are a lot of people with much longer fusions than mine and they did not wear a brace. Curious.
                              Becky, 46 years old
                              Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                              Ignored until 448/07
                              Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                              Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                              Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                              Fused T-10 to L-5
                              14 titanium pedicle screws
                              Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                              Email

Comment

Working...
                              X