Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with untreated scoliosis

Wow,
    I never knew that there are so many other adults with scoliosis! I'm 28 years old and have never actually been treated for scoliosi (i.e. never wore the brace).
    When I was in middle school, I went through the screening that was given to all the girls and they said I was showing signs of scoliosis but nothing was done. A few years later, in 10th grade, we got the screening again and this time, they said I definitely had scoliosis, note was sent home to my parents.
    My parents, who are from India and therefore of the mindset that our American schools make a big deal out of everything, don't believe in going to the dr. and getting all these tests and screenings, NEVER took me to the dr. If memory serves me well, my dad's reaction was "school makes a big deal out of everything." I was 15 yrs old and though I was insured through my Mom, obviously could not drive myself to a dr. Thus, I was never treated.
    To this day, my shoulders are REALLY uneven. Even back then, teachers and even our bus driver noticed it and my bus driver even asked if I had scoliosis.
    Sitting up straight is pretty much impossible because it's painful.
    Finding clothes that fit is a chore - though I read some other posts and am glad I'm not the only one to have these issues. Although I'm actually REALLY thin so wearing one size larger is not really practical. I avoid wearing dresses b/c they just don't look very good on me given that my breasts are uneven.

A question for the ladies: I read posts that suggest it is common to have one breast be of a different size than the other but for me, the cleavage, if any, is awkward because one breast is higher than the other. I wonder if that is also the cause of sagging??? I'm only 28 and have NEVER had firm breasts. Thus, I can't wear the cute tops that I should be able to given I'm skinny. I also find it's hard to wear tank tops - although among friends, I don't feel self-conscious about wearing them. Somehow, no one has commented about the uneven shoulders - which to me is VERY obvious.
    I feel fortunate that I can walk freely and comfortably (although I do tend to run out of breath and wonder if it's related to the scoliosis) and I don't really experience pain at all except for when I try to sit up straight.
    I do hate feeling deformed and I already have other medical issues that I have to deal with. I totally relate to other posters in their 20's who mentioned feeling self-conscious and lack confidence re: relationships with men.

I am the same age as you and have many of the same issues you discuss, apart from the booby thing and guys. But I do have some confidence problems with girls. The thing is, they dont seem to notice my spinal condition and if they do they dont seem to mind at all. I am noticing that I need to accept people more, not the other way around. Anyways, just speaking my mind and I am quite tired as it is 4am here in Australia.

One thing is for sure, you are DEFINATELY NOT ALONE!

45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Originally posted by benilaw View Post
      A question for the ladies: I read posts that suggest it is common to have one breast be of a different size than the other but for me, the cleavage, if any, is awkward because one breast is higher than the other. I wonder if that is also the cause of sagging??? I'm only 28 and have NEVER had firm breasts. Thus, I can't wear the cute tops that I should be able to given I'm skinny.
      First off, at least you have some cleavage! Especially being skinny! Wish that was the case for me. ha. My suggestion, since you say one breast is higher than the other due to your shoulders being uneven...maybe try wearing a bra that is kind of softly padded on both sides but then add some sort of push up insert type thing into the side of the bra of the breast that sits lower. It obviously won't help make your shoulders more even, but at the very least, it should give the illusion that your breasts are more even and level.

As for guys noticing your shoulders/breasts being uneven, etc., luckily, guys tend to not be very observant! Most girls can probably cut 6 inches off their hair without a guy giving a second look! Also, I think that when you have scoliosis you tend to notice backs and posture soooooooo much more than the average person. If you have a normal, straight back it's probably the last thing you'd ever even think to notice on someone else.

Comment

A question for the ladies: I read posts that suggest it is common to have one breast be of a different size than the other but for me, the cleavage, if any, is awkward because one breast is higher than the other. I wonder if that is also the cause of sagging??? I'm only 28 and have NEVER had firm breasts. Thus, I can't wear the cute tops that I should be able to given I'm skinny. I also find it's hard to wear tank tops - although among friends, I don't feel self-conscious about wearing them. Somehow, no one has commented about the uneven shoulders - which to me is VERY obvious.

*sigh* I brestfed, I can relate. I told my daughters doctor that I really wish I hadnt read the part about the uneven breasts... I notice it all the time now

Victorias secret! They have wonderful push up bras that give the illusion of evenness, also, I tend to wear tight fitting undershirts which also helps. If you are seeing a physical therapist ask them about the differant type of exercises you can do to help apprearance above the breasts. Seems like I dont have all to much to offer. just what I do.

*huggs*
        dani

post script. Im 28, and completly understand

Comment

Working...
        X