Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgical monitoring system

Hi everyone,

I received a rather high bill from a company (Sentient Medical System). They monitored my doctor during both surgeries. This is something I had never heard of before. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so, did you have any problems with billing. I called because they are asking me for 1600 because my insurance company did not pay anything so they are appealing it. This is my second bill but they don't want anything from me while the appeals are taking place. Apparently in brain or back surgeries, this company provides a doctor or a tech or several people (i am not sure how that works) to monitor neurological functions as an added level of protection for the patient. I am just curious if anyone has heard of this or paid for this or anything?
    thanks,
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

I had my surgery on june 1st and just received a letter about this yesterday. I had assumed that all the services I received were provided through Yale, but I guess not. The letter is from Impulse Monitoring and they were responsible for my nervous system monitoring during the surgery and says they provided either a technologist or oversight physician in the OR during my entire surgery. My letter says the charges will be billed directly to my insurance carrier and that in most cases the amount that I am required to pay is limited to my co-pay and deductible if applicable. I assumed it would be covered no problem, but I guess I will have to wait and see. It seems like something that would be considered an essential part of surgery so I would expect that insurance would cover it. I am surprised your insurance did not cover it. Hopefully mine does. Sorry I can't offer more help but I did receive similar information after my surgery.
    Sarah
    22 year old grad student
    Boston brace from 12-14
    surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
    Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
    Thoracic curve 47*
    Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
      Hi everyone,

I received a rather high bill from a company (Sentient Medical System). They monitored my doctor during both surgeries. This is something I had never heard of before. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so, did you have any problems with billing. I called because they are asking me for 1600 because my insurance company did not pay anything so they are appealing it. This is my second bill but they don't want anything from me while the appeals are taking place. Apparently in brain or back surgeries, this company provides a doctor or a tech or several people (i am not sure how that works) to monitor neurological functions as an added level of protection for the patient. I am just curious if anyone has heard of this or paid for this or anything?
      thanks,
      avis
      Hi Avis,
      I haven't heard of it and never received a bill for anything like that either. Even if your insurance company doesn't pay, I wouldn't just pay the bill. Why don't you ask the insurance company directly if it is your responsibility. If they said no, I wouldn't pay, but I would inform the monitoring company what you were told.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi...

I suspect that this is some type of neural monitoring. During spine surgeries, they monitor signals between your head and your feet, so they can tell if there's any problem with the implants interfering with the spinal cord.

It seems to me that if the hospital is using a service that isn't covered by your insurance company, it's up to them to let you know before your surgery. They can't expect you to pay for something that you did not specifically authorize.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had surgical monitoring by Surgical Monitoring Associates. I received bills for both surgeries, and notified by the insurance company that they would not cover it. The bill just had to be submitted using different codes going through the hospital not straight from the surgical monitoring people. Both bills were then covered. Hope you get your bills worked out. I did find out the expensive way that my Ortho-fix (bone growth stimulator) was under co-insurance and they would only pay 1/2 of the cost! This was after I received a letter of approval from my insurance.
          2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
          surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
          Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
          5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
          5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
          6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
          (left open with just clear dressing)
          6/6/08 recleaned and closed
          3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Working...
          X