Saw new doctor Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw new doctor Monday

I guess you can say I got some good news on Monday when I met with a new orthopedic surgeon about having surgery. He told me that with a curve at 55* I should not be experienceing as much pain as I am. According to him scoliosis in general does not cause pain. There are some cases with extremly severe curves that people will have pain related to it, but not at the degree I am. Did agree I do need to have surgery just not a rush deal as the first one said. He wants to investigate the pain issues first and get them resolved before we do the surgery. Otherwise I will have the surgery and when the recovery is done I will still be in the same amount of pain as I am now. (man wouldn't that suck). So I will be having the surgery in the future just not sure when it will be now. I guess I am relieved since I was so nervous about having the surgery to begin with. I want to thank all of you for your advice up till now on everything. I will keep you updated on how this is going and when I decide to have the surgery.
    Diagnosed @ at of 11
    Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
    Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
    (was told would never get worse)
    Surgery November 11, 2009
    Fused T6-T12
    Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
    Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Originally posted by loris View Post
    I guess you can say I got some good news on Monday when I met with a new orthopedic surgeon about having surgery. He told me that with a curve at 55* I should not be experienceing as much pain as I am. According to him scoliosis in general does not cause pain. There are some cases with extremly severe curves that people will have pain related to it, but not at the degree I am. Did agree I do need to have surgery just not a rush deal as the first one said. He wants to investigate the pain issues first and get them resolved before we do the surgery. Otherwise I will have the surgery and when the recovery is done I will still be in the same amount of pain as I am now. (man wouldn't that suck). So I will be having the surgery in the future just not sure when it will be now. I guess I am relieved since I was so nervous about having the surgery to begin with. I want to thank all of you for your advice up till now on everything. I will keep you updated on how this is going and when I decide to have the surgery.
    I would think a 55 degree curve could definitely cause pain...I have a 35 degree curve and it def. causes me pain...although I'd say my pain has at least been cut in half since starting Schroth exercises. What kind of pain are you experiencing? If it feels like muscular pain, it most likely is due to the scoliosis since it throws all your muscles out of whack around your spine (some muscles get overworked while trying to hold up your spine (convex) whereas the other side can atrophy (concave)).

Comment

Hello All,
      I've been told I'm at 80+ degrees and seeing Dr. Lenke in Aug. I have lots of pain. Mostly first thing in the morning it's horrible, gets somewhat better as the day goes on and then in the evening it's horrible again. Sleeping is no problem; other than I can tell rolling over is starting to cause more and more pain as time goes on. So far, though, I sleep pretty good. It takes a lot to keep this ole gal awake...
      I welcome the thought of thinking of someone with a lesser curve and no pain. I hope you remain that way! I did the Milwaukee brace thing when I was 13, hated it, but just did it, made it significantly better. Then, came down with a slipped disc, screwed that back togehter and in place - then, came down with horrible pain a couple of months ago. Figured must be time to go back to the doc to have it looked it see what is up with all this pain. He said he couldn't count higher than 80+ degrees and I should think about surgery soon since I was in so much pain and sent me to dr. Lenke. I hear good things about Dr. Lenke - but, I have to tell you, I wish I was two years down the road....
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by MissEmmyF View Post
        I would think a 55 degree curve could definitely cause pain..
        I have a thoracolumbar curve L56* and T25* and only get ocassional very mild pain in my upper back after a busy day at work or when I sit on the computer until late night...I am still astonished that this is still painless.

Diagnosed at 9, Boston brace during teenage years
        56* left thoracolumbar curve, slight rib hump
        Deciding on timing for surgery

Comment

You know it is so amazing how there are so many different perspectives on this. Now I wore a Milwaukee brace for several years and it never made the curve get better just kept it from getting worse. The pain I have is sharp shooting pains in the area of my ribs. I also found out while I was there that now I have three curves. Forgive me I do not recall their proper names, but I have one high around the shoulder blades that is 24* I have my middle that is 55* and a lower that is 40*. I do owe it to myself for now to investigate the pain issue since the pain only started after having a car wreck two years ago. I want to make sure that the pain is not related to that first, then I will look back into having the surgery. This surgeon is one of the best here in town. He takes care of the Indidnapolis Colts and drivers that wreck at the Motorspeedway. So I go back to see him the first of July then we can figure out more then. Maybe I am in the small percentage he was talking about that does have pain from the curve.
          Diagnosed @ at of 11
          Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
          Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
          (was told would never get worse)
          Surgery November 11, 2009
          Fused T6-T12
          Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
          Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Comment

considering

dear loris
            i read your post...i have 40 degree upper (wont operate) and 60 degree lower(will probably do surgery in fall) ...they want to do front and back incisions, 2 rods, and attach them to my hipss..its the "attach" part that scares me!
            anyway, i have waited years, putting this off...and gotten worse and worse...last 2 years have been awful...2 years ago i worked 2 stressful jobs and lived on pain pills...had to retire...now pain pills not enuf...had an epidural today that is starting to help while i sit around and decide on surgery in nyc this fall....

have you tried epidurals, or facet blocks, or nerve ablation or other injections with pain doctor?? you probably have already...

best of luck in whatever you decide
            jrnyc(jess)

Comment

Working...
            X